The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Cassandra

This thread is to list all the good and bad things about Marvel and DC.

The good about Marvel

Nick Fury and SHIELD

More Live Action Movies

Marvel The Avengers Movie

The Iron Man Movies

Iron Man

Captain America

Ms. Marvel

She Hulk knowing she was in a comic book

Year long company wide story arcs

Brining Back the original Spider-Woman

The Bad about Marvel

Few Animated Movies

A-Next Animated Movie (A cutesy our patents have been brutally murdered by Ultron cartoon)

The Hulk Movies

Rebooting Spider-Man with a new movie when Tobey Maguire hasn't completely destroyed the character.

The Good about DC

Lots of Animated Movies

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

The 1st Season of the Wonder Woman TV Show

Batman The Animated Series

Justice League the Series

Bringing back Barbara Gordon as Batgirl

The Bad about DC

The Crisis on Infinite Earths (and the resulting collapse of DC's continuity)

Brother Power

Director Bones (A walking skeleton has the head of DC secret spy organization)

Thinking that Changing costumes and replacing beloved characters will new version will make us forget the poor writing and stories.

Six Batgirls in twenty years before bringing back Barbara Gordon

To be continued . . .

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Good and Bad about Marvel and DC

Jack Kirby

Is that good or bad? ;)

Blasphemy aside, he worked for both companies. Appropriately enough, the five minutes work he did for DC for in the early 70s provided them with characters they are building their universe around nearly forty years later.

Don't forget Kirby worked for DC during the 40s(Sandman, Guardian, Boy Commandos[3rd best selling for DC at the time]/Newsboy legion, and the Manhunter) and the 50s(Challengers of the Unknown,Green Arrow, House of Mystery/Suspense, and My Greatest Adventure)

Bad both: Multi issue- multi title shared story arcs. (If I wanted to collect other titles I wouldn't have dropped them to begin with) Mega-Events that do nothing but ruin characters and are ignored a few months later.

Goodish "The New 52+" by DC. Nice reboot idea. Badly executed with crap story telling and not enough background for the characters so was not very accessable to a new reader

Bad both: Multi issue- multi title shared story arcs. (If I wanted to collect other titles I wouldn't have dropped them to begin with) Mega-Events that do nothing but ruin characters and are ignored a few months later.

Goodish "The New 52+" by DC. Nice reboot idea. Badly executed with crap story telling and not enough background for the characters so was not very accessable to a new reader

As a new reader - it was accessible enough. Unless you're a complete failure at life in reading stories.

which is most readers isn't it. Ok, you take that point.

Marvel Bad:

Too much Wolverine (I flat out just don't like this guy)

DC Bad:

Too much Batman (I like him, but he's gotten into too many places, over saturated)

Both Bad:

Mega Events

Cross Overs (I don't mind Guest Appearances, but you make me buy an issue of another comic to keep the plot thread and I get annoyed)

For Marvel, it was breaking the standard super hero conventions. The hero was human, who might inadvertently wash his white tights with his red cape by accident and end up mortified by having to go out in public with a pink uniform. They didn't necessarily have a secret identity. They might not get along with each other. They might not be appreciated by the public despite their selfless acts of valor. These were all huge shocks and changes in their day.

Marvel Good: Ed Brubaker, Greg Pak, Abnett and Lanning

Marvel Bad: Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb, Brian Bendis

DC Good: Geoff Johns, Jeff Lemire, Justin Gray, Jim Palmiotti

DC BAD: Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee, Eric Wallace, Geoff Johns

More later.....desperately need sleep....

~Rex....getting old....

Marvel Good: Ed Brubaker, Greg Pak, Abnett and Lanning

Marvel Bad: Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb, Brian Bendis

QFT the decompressed story telling fo bendis and the civil war storyline almost killed my interest in super-heroes

I liked Avengers-Next :(

I liked it too :)

James Rogers, son of the Black Widow and Captain America from Ultimate Avengers cartoon universe is just an awesome character concept. As was Storm and Black Panthers kid, Azari. Torunn was pretty cool too, though I really want to know who her mother was suposed to be...

And it's actually Next Avengers.

Avengers Next was the team in the MC2 line, which is also awesome :)

I'll think about my good/bad list...

I liked it too :)

James Rogers, son of the Black Widow and Captain America from Ultimate Avengers cartoon universe is just an awesome character concept. As was Storm and Black Panthers kid, Azari. Torunn was pretty cool too, though I really want to know who her mother was suposed to be...

And it's actually Next Avengers.

Avengers Next was the team in the MC2 line, which is also awesome :)

I'll think about my good/bad list...

MC2. Wasn't that the thing that featured characters developed after 1975? Bleeah.

Also, bring back Gwen Stacy! And since when was Peter Parker a high school graduate? And where are the original Guardians of the Galaxy, the ones with the space Indian? And why does Franklin Richards keep showing up as a grade school kid? With a sister, yet? This sort of stuff makes me feel old, like a person who ought to have already moved out of his parents' basement.

I'd continue, but I've got to go change Mother's oxygen tank. Now where's that walker?

DC Good: Legacy Heroes, lots and lots of legacy heroes.

DC Bad: Lots and lots of people mulched for no good reason.

Marvel Good: Iconic moments from my childhood - Avengers, Defenders, Spiderman, etc.

Marvel Bad: I can't bring myself to care anymore.

Marvel Bad:

Too much Wolverine (I flat out just don't like this guy)

My sons don't like Wolvie either. I'm with them. They've never seen him in anything, but he just "looks mean" (one of them has several sets of jammies with supers on them. Wolvie appears with Iron Man, Hulk, and Spider Man on one.) and at 4.5 and 2.5, they don't like people who look mean. Their favorite heroes: Spiderman and Iron Man. The oldest used to want to buy a space ship for us all to fly in. He's changed his mind now and wants to build Iron Man's costume. "So I can shoot beams out of my hands and fly!"

Cutest thing to hear them sing the Spider Man song together:

Sling us a web you're the Spider Man

Sling us a web tonight!

Cause you're brave and so strong and so limber now.

But where'd you come up with those tights!

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

DC Good

The Dark Knight Movie

Batman the 1960s TV Series (For what it was)

Yvonne Craig as Batgirl

Helen Slater as Supergirl

Justice League: Crisis on 2 Earths Animated Movies

Superman The Movie

Superman II The Richard Donner Director's Cut

Marvel Good

The Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 Animated Movies

DC Bad

The Justice League TV Show Pilot

The 2011 Wonder Woman Pilot

Supergirl The Movie

Superman III and IV

Marvel Bad

The Roger Corman Fantastic Four Movie

I politely disagree with the original poster that Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown as Batgirls were bad. They were the first Batgirls to actually support their own comicbook after all. I have to think that's a good thing.

As for Barbara Gordon returning as Batgirl, I'd have to put this in the undecided column. I thought she was much better character as Oracle.

DC Good. Babs back as Batgirl. Aquaman. Jonah Hex. Justice League Dark. The Owls...need more Owls More later....

DC Bad. Hiring Rob Liefeld. Thinking more failed Wildstorm is a GOOD thing. Dropping the ball on the Red Circle characters. Giving the Ravagers their own book, while ignoring the Doom Patrol and wasting the potential of The Others. Cassandra Cain being both a Bat Girl, AND getting the Black Bat legacy scrungy with her iron age waif fu fanfic ickiness. Not having Simon Dark as a member of Justice League Dark.....

~Rex

Without Cassandra Cain there would be no Batgirl comicbook Rex. Prior to her comic, all 75 issues of it, nobody was interested in making a Batgirl comic and when Barbara Gordon was Batgirl originally she was basically languishing in comicbook limbo most of the time. She didn't become a character capable of supporting her own comic untill she became Oracle and in my opinion, she should've stayed Oracle.

Actually, I'm even going to lean toward DC Bad with Babs returning as Batgirl. It's a step backwards for her. Instead of being somebody as important to the DC Universe as Oracle, virtually every hero has relied upon Oracle for information at somepoint after all, she's now back to being Batman's distaff counterpart and I'm supposed to except it as a good thing? No, no I don't think so.

One definete DC bad however, is Damien Wayne. The kid is mouthy, obnoxious and has actually killed people as Robin but Batman keeps him around. If you want to talk about iron age BS soiling a character's legacy, the conversation starts with Damian Wayne. He's even starting to make Jason Todd's Robin look good by comparison.

I'll agree with you on Damian Wayne. In fact I've put my distaste of that little monster in print here more then once.....Much as I have Cassandra Cain. But then, all Damian really is is Cassandra Cain with a chromosome shift and a bit more of a vocabulary. 75 Issues btw is considered a Failure in the Comic Book Industry. Success is measured in Generations, and Decades of Marketable Characters and Cassandra Cain wasn't anything more then DC's entry into the fad of Waif Fu "HAWTGURLZ!" in Skintight Leather. Her comic was a loss leader (Unlike the Stephanie Brown Batgirl comic) and even Etrigan had more likeable qualities then the 80 pound (All of it up top) Hot Asian Assassin Chick sporting a gimp suit with a bat motif.

DC has MANY, stand out and strong Female characters in it's library. Cassandra Cain Batgirl is not one of them though given the right set of writers like the crew currently handling the Bat Books, there may be a chance to fit her back in somewhere though they will have to inflate he background to something beyond that of Unstoppable Assassin Offspring of an Unstoppable Assassin. *shrug* Either way, I don't miss her.

Marvel Good: Agents of Atlas, Jimmy Woo, and the Avengers: 1950's arc.....

Marvel Bad: One More Day. Civil War. Fear Itself. Changing Ms. Marvel into Captain Marvel.

DC Good: Nightwing back in his own book (Even if Dick Grayson still blows up the DC timeline), The Earth One Graphic Novels. The JSA.

DC BAD: Dropping the JSA, CHANGING CAPTAIN MARVEL'S NAME and POWERS to make him more.... AWESOME. (Note to DC. The Big Red Cheese is Beyond Awesome.) Not using the relaunch to give us back Val Armorr.

~Rex