Paradise City: Building a superhero setting with songs!

Hermit

Baker Street is a long and winding road.

Slow down, don't move too fast when you come to the 59th Street Bridge over troubled water.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks if these constitute examples of killing two Byrds with one Stone

Loch Lomond is a small lake in Paradise City, five miles long but only about a half-mile wide, flanked by several parks. The two largest are:

• Palisades - has an amusement park to rival Coney Island. Rumor has it that Major Tom didn't need testing for G-forces or motion sickness after he stated his favorite ride was Palisades' infamous "Shoopty Shoop".
  • MacArthur - much more quiet - almost brooding. The sort of place for a solitary walk or an assignation with a lover. Has a pastry shop right in the middle - makes legendary cakes with light cream frosting which should be eaten in fair weather. The head baker there often sings ballads to lost love.
  • Itchicoo - smaller park centered on a burial mound in the shape of a fantastic creature (a "Coyote-Eagle") which the native Paradisians pronounce It-shik-oo but which non-natives, tourists, and some irreverent right-wing skinheads insist on pronouncing "Itchy-koo". Pronouncing it correctly is respectful of the tribe who gave the park its name, a native Paradisian, or at least savvy enough to get around without asking for directions.

Pablo Fanques' Fair - a splendid circus based in Paradise City and often shown in Paradise City's arena during the winter. Pablo (real name: William Darby) has worked hard to recreate the sense of wonder associated with Victorian Age circuses, and at this he has succeeded. Some of the acts:

• William Kite has a legendary equestrian team, based around the magnificent dancing mustang, Flying Kite's Zanthus, better known simply as Henry. Amazingly, Henry went from a wild horse to the title of "Best Broke Horse In The World" due to his remarkable intelligence (Rumor has it, from a few psychics, Henry may in fact be sentient!)
  • The Hendersons are a marvelous troupe of acrobats. John Henderson himself holds the world record for somersaults (which in Pablo Fanques' Fair are called "somersets" in true Victorian fashion) and will routinely break off more than twenty in the limited space of the arena - including a backwards one through a thick flaming hoop called "The Hogshead". Dude is fearless.

One place you probably don't want to find yourself at: The St James Hospital Medical Center, better known as the "St James Infirmary". Excellent medical care - but they also have the Paradise City Forensic Investigation Laboratory, adjacent to the city morgue.

Aladin Sane: He beleves himself to be a serial reincarnator. He IS a serial killer. And he is one of the greatest foes The Oddity ever faced. And wierdest.

Many times Aladin Sane was thought to be dead, but of course it could not be cause he returnes time and time again. And chaos always seems to follow him from the darkness into the light, as people start to act strange when he is around. Many think that Aladin's insanity also gives him mild mental powers. So not only is he psycho, but psycik as well.

Many beleve Aladin to be ageless. Some have speculated that his orgin is somehow tied up to that of eather The Oddity, Diamond Dog, Stardust, or all three of them.

Some have speculated that his orgin is somehow tied up to that of eather The Oddity, Diamond Dog, Stardust, or all three of them.

The origin mystery gets even deeper when most of the metahumans above can only use their powers for about a day at a time in a month.

You can add to the list China Girl - a mysterious woman who can render the toughest defenses as brittle as porcelain. (Major Transform - Being to being with a Vulnerability to their own powers, transform goes away after 24 hours). She's the only hero who has caused Gravitar to shy away from using her power set.

China Girl lives in "Suffragette City", a community which was a haven for ardent feminists for more than 150 years. Strangely enough, it also has a reputation for very sexually adept women...

Another location is the "Criminal World" - a neighborhood filled with youth gangs. Most of these have adopted a deliberately androgynous 20s-30s gangster appearance.

Paradise City's former industrial center is now the location "where the streets have no name". This neighborhood is wedged between Electric and Ammonia Avenues. Electric Avenue is home to a impoverished yet vibrant Jamaican culture, unfortunately also with the gangs that are often associated with Jamaica. Ammonia Avenue still has the Harmon Industries Nitrogen Products Production Division - but it has run at a very low capacity for years, and only keeps running as a local source of ammoniated products.

Ammonia Avenue is the home to a church associated with social justice and helping the poor. The head pastor there, Alana Parsons, was a chemical engineer for Harmon. She is one of the rare types who will engage in a spirited debate - pardon the pun - of the role of God in a world of science and magic, without rancor. She has no time for cynicism or conspiracy theories, or the constant need for agreement with her views. She's an idealist who is also a rare black critic of the current president - an oft-quoted sermon from her is "When you can't hear the rhyme and you can't see the reason - Why should the hope remain? For a man will be tired and his soul will grow weary, living his life in vain." She believes that the neighborhood will someday rebuild and empower its inhabitants again - although probably very differently than before.

Paradise City must have a subway. And tenements. If only because the words of the prophets must be written there.

And somewhere at the end of a narrow street of cobblestone is a surprisingly well attended place of worship where the people bow and pray to a flashing neon God - or is that just in a restless dream?

Lucius Alexander

Hello palindromedary my old friend

Paradise City must have a subway. And tenements. If only because the words of the prophets must be written there.

And somewhere at the end of a narrow street of cobblestone is a surprisingly well attended place of worship where the people bow and pray to a flashing neon God - or is that just in a restless dream?

Lucius Alexander

Hello palindromedary my old friend

The "real" Paradise has no subway, but does have a monorail. There are some low-rent apartments in the shadow of that monorail, and the area to the east of the Strip. The Guardian Angel Cathedral is visible from the Strip, though you have to wind through a few back streets to get to it. And of course, there are a number of establishments on the Strip which would easily qualify as a place where people bow and pray to a flashing neon god of a different sort--and the game never ends, when your whole world depends on the turn of a friendly card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Nevada

http://www.lvmonorail.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/guardian-angel-cathedral-las-vegas-2 (check out the photo gallery for an interesting bit of stained glass in a Catholic church)

Paradise City's Iron Man has nothing to with Tony Stark. Instead he's the perpetrator of an ill-conceived time-travel experiment which turned him from man to living steel statue. Incapable of communication, unable to speak and lacking the manual dexterity to write, he eventually goes mad and begins a destructive rampage.

Given the inspiration for the thread, I think it's imperative that there be a metahuman drug dealer by the name of Mr. Brownstone, whose body produces it's own highly addictive narcotic that people quickly develop a tolerance to, because remember- "I used to do a little, but a little doesn't do it, so the little became more and more..."

Going through the iPod …

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty

Broadway Hotel by Al Stewart

The Capital of Power and The School of Instant Pain by Triumvirat

Fortress Around Your Heart and Moon over Bourbon Street by Sting

Fountain of Sorrow by Jackson Browne

Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble

Where the Streets Have No Name by U2

Not as many as I might have guessed.

Aladin Sane: He beleves himself to be a serial reincarnator. He IS a serial killer. And he is one of the greatest foes The Oddity ever faced. And wierdest.

Many times Aladin Sane was thought to be dead, but of course it could not be cause he returnes time and time again. And chaos always seems to follow him from the darkness into the light, as people start to act strange when he is around. Many think that Aladin's insanity also gives him mild mental powers. So not only is he psycho, but psycik as well.

Many beleve Aladin to be ageless. Some have speculated that his orgin is somehow tied up to that of eather The Oddity, Diamond Dog, Stardust, or all three of them.

I was wondering if you were going to do him after the earlier comment

The Light, a group of "Vigilantes" or a neighborhood watch?

"We get up early

Before the din and the hurly burly

O, Lord we got a lot of work to do

We stay out late

We know Babylon don't hibernate

O, Lord, we got a lot of work to do

In the arms of a bright and rising day

We see all the zombies crawl away

The motorcade is rattling out of sight

The dark parade will fade into the night

Today belongs to the Light

There was a time

When I ran barefoot through the alleyways and spit at the grand design

O, Lord, I had a lot of work to do

But now, now is the time

We must all lend our hands to the grand design

O, Lord we got a lot of work to do

In the arms of a bright and rising day

We see all the zombies crawl away...

I will stand and be counted

The dark parade will fade into the night

The motorcade is rattling out of sight

Today belongs to the Light

O, Lord, we got a lot of work to do

Stand up for all that is bright and true"

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (Sure, they're from Arizona...but still thematically it works)

Well, their are always street level no-do-wells.

When faceing down the Mafia, be warry of such enforcers such as Staggerlee, Big, Bad Leroy Brown, and the competing team of Jim and Slim (two guys you realy don't want to mess around with).

While Mr. Brownstone is a evil drug dealer, he is nothing compared to Doctor Fealgood. Rumor has it that it was him who turned Major Tom into a junkie (if you believe the tabloid Ashes To Ashes).

In the "Suffigate City" section of town is where you can find Jessie's Girls, ladys of the evening who work for the madam Jessica "Jessie" Girlastan.

Paradise City must be a coastal city with a harbor, easily accessible by sea.

I know because it's not far to Paradise, at least not for me. When the wind is right I can sail away, and find tranquility.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the canvas can do miracles - just ask a painter

As there seems to be a major Bowie vibe going on you could have either a major fashion outlet to completely alter your look or a plastic surgery place to do the same called Changes.

Then there is the outlet for your trousers (I'm British so I never use that other word as it means undergarments) Blue Jean.

And the crematorium known as Ashes to Ashes

"We are making a fortune off this prison," The chairman at the table said with a smile, "Yes, gents. The private prison industry is a goldmine."

"What about the cost of our political contributions?" One woman was not entirely convinced. An easy life combined with the best plastic surgeon money could buy had kept her looking twenty years younger but the calculating expression on her face showed how her soul was withering, "Is it hurting the overhead?"

The chairman shook his head, his grin growing wider, "Funding a politician to be 'tough on crime' is like paying a duck to swim. We pay thousands to push for longer prison sentences, three strike policies, and containment over rehabilitation, and when the public prisons are overwhelmed, we step in and get millions in government funding back for providing the need we helped create. The returns are only growing."

"Good," The woman smiled. Others added their own voices of agreement.

One mustached fellow joined in, but then when that died down, he added, "What about that retired warden? the one who was making political noise about us being a violation of the very system of ''true justice and redemption'' he wanted to serve?" The fellow made quote marks in the air over the virtues.

"Handled," The Chairman said, "Turns out about twenty five years ago, he had an affair. It was a standard one, he and his wife have settled it, but not only has the story leaked, its mutated... rumors that he MIGHT have pressured visiting female family members of past prisoners for sexual favors in exchange for 'better treatment' of their loved ones. He's outraged of course, but enough have doubts that his supposed moral authority is shot."

"Well, it COULD be true," The woman smirked. "I do wonder how these rumors get started on the internet."

"Don't we all," The mustached man smirked back as well, "It's very convenient."

Then, suddenly, the lights dimmed, it made the room look very shadowy. The fine garments the chairholders wore lost their luster, bright colors faded to drab.

"Some sort of brown out?" The woman asked, feeling oddly nervous.

"We have a back up generator," The chairman said in confusion, "It should handle a grid failure."

Then HE was among them. Nameless, with stern eyes on a pale weathered face, he seemed to drag the shadows in deeper with him, or perhaps he just made the shadows that had always been there more apparent. His costume, if it should be called that, was black. It seemed to draw the eye, drink in whatever light touched it, and it was hard to pull away.

"Oh god, he's real," The mustached exec gaped

"It's some gag,," The Chairperson insisted, "The Man in Black is an Urban Legend and..."

The man in black looked at the chairperson, "John Tarleton," he called the man by name. Their eyes met, and Tarleton found himself falling into those dark eyes, plummeting into the blackness.

Tarleton felt strange when he awoke, he looked up and saw the bars around him. He felt the wait of years of desperation, and the glimmer of hope that today he was due out for a hearing .Maybe he'd get his shot. But these weren't his memories, they weren't HIS feelings.

It didn't change the fact they were real and he was experiencing them, he scrambled as a guard came to the door, "Hey, my hearing's soon man, right? Today?" His lips moved, well, not HIS lips, but the words came out like he was part of some obscene script.

"Didn't you hear?" The Guard said with a sad shrug that stabbingly indifferent, "Law got changed yesterday. Parole hearing frequencies are being spread out. I think they rescheduled you to make your plea in another six months!"

"Six MONTHS? But I've been here years longer than they said I would. The cops told me I'd get parole soon for good behavior, so did the Public Defender!"

"Next time, get a better lawyer, and don't believe everything the police tell you," The guard now looked amused.

"I couldn't afford better!" Tarleton felt the anguish. The words weren't of his choosing, but the despair was still his It cut like a knife.

The female chair-holder gasped as their Chairman had gone fetal, "What did you do to him? This is illegal, this is immoral ...."

In a deep voice that seemed to command all others to be silent, the Man in Black stated, "I only return to you what you give."

Then he said her name, "Hilary Van Reese" and she fell.

"I'm hungry, mama," The child had learned to talk, and all he said was how hungry he was. Course, he was. Lean times made hungry kids. The lawsuits against her husband hadn't just been criminal, legal fee after legal fee combined to devastate them. There were programs to help, but so many hoops to go through, so many accusing eyes. Hilary Van Reese felt for the boy, in way she hadn't cared for anyone for years.

This isn't MY son ,she wanted to scream, but instead she bent down and kissed him on the brow, "Soon, baby. Soon. I'm going to check to see what I can afford at the market."

She walked out onto the street, feeling lost. Inside her, Hilary wanted to sneer. Why didn't this dumb broad just make the proper investments? Why anyone with a decent education would be able to...

and then Mrs. Van Reese realized. Her education was gone. Years of the best schools money could buy were murky and nebulous. She once had been able to juggle financial reports with ease, but now? She wasn't sure she could manage algebra.

A hand seized her arm, "Heard the man of the house got his parole delayed." The fellow who'd taken her arm wore a tiger striped jacket, and yellow hat with plume. Why hide what he was? There wasn't a person in THIS neighborhood that would do anything about it. His eyes raked over her, "Remember how you turned me down three years ago? Offer still stands, and you ain't getting any younger."

"I'm a married woman," Hilary felt her body blurt out, and felt a sting of horror settle in, nestling deep.

"Yeah, and he'd be real pissed to find his little boy living like a #$# hobo," The pimp shook his head, "Just try it for a night baby. Just once." He flashed an amount of money that seemed a pittance to Hilary, or would have, but now it seemed like a life line, a chance to provide and keep her head up just a bit longer.

And the woman folded, and Hilary collapsed with her. She'd try it, just once.

And that night, when the john told her to try the nose candy, she'd do it just once.

And then the next day after that, she'd do it 'once more' and again ,and again, until 'just once' was for as long as her crack addicted body was serviceable..

All around the Man in Black, the chairholders were twitching , sharing nightmares that had been all too real for others. Hours from now, they would return from their travels though those moments might feel like years. Whether they learned from this or not, he could never be sure. But some would, and that would be a start.

They'd thought he was an urban myth, now they knew better. Any local website search would have had this to warn them about him:

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back Up front there ought to be a Man In Black

Nice johnny cash song reference. let me see if I can pull one up in a similar vein How about this...

Paradise City has a history among the oppressed looking for equal rights. It has a history of brutal beatings, and fire hoses turned full blast, and shots in the dark. In that history, it also has a ghost that appears where people gather against the night, where men can't find work, and women are thrown out in the street.

Some say it's the ghost of Tom Joad, wanting a better life for those around him.

CES