Paradise City: Building a superhero setting with songs!

Hermit

He may have a silly name, and he may be small, but being small just makes him hard to hit and nearly impossible to see when he's zipping around at top speed, as he tends to do when he goes berserk. The speedy little hero called The Squirrel has put the Fear of God into almost as many people as the Man in Black. He (The Squirrel that is) hangs out on Congo Street, around the homeless shelter and soup kitchen and other projects of a very active mission sponsored by the First Self Righteous Church, a church from some sleepy little town in Mississippi. The most tireless worker is Bertha Bitterthin-Yew, who seems to know everyone's name and has a high PRE because she always knows how to really get their attention.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if we should be naming the songs, or at least crediting the artists, in this case, Ray Stevens.

These might be a bit out there, but:

Queen of Spades: a crime lord with a virtual stranglehold on her barrows. She is intelligent, practical and a peerless seductress. She is served by:

• Witch Wolf: A lycathrope mystic who has trained her mistress in the arcane arts.
  • Mr. Robot: A homicidal android with a pleasant voice.
  • Homewrecker: Seductress/Brickette
  • Doctor Righteous: An anti-Rock n' Roll Scientist/Counselor (Think Dr. Phil) who has an odd, compelling charisma and highly technical mindcontrol/brainwashing techniques. He in turn is served by:
    • Lieutenant Hyde: Man who becomes a monstrous brick
    • Lieutenant Vanish: Invisible assassin

(All Styx songs)

They are opposed by a group of ragtag heroes led by an outsider

King of Fools (Twisted Sister): a one time high-roller who's illegal activities cost him everything he loved. He crossed the wrong people and was cast out, now risen from his spiritual morass to make things right, he gathered a few like-minded heroes to help him.

Blue Collar Man (Styx): Everyman Brick

Renegade (Styx): A supersoldier who uncovered corruption in his unit and was framed for the murders of his team

Lady Lorelai (Styx): A genius inventor with a Arthurian theme

Drug Dealer Extrordinaire: The Iceman, lover, fighter, and while he never tries his own product he is known as the bringer of the party.

Queen of Spades: a crime lord with a virtual stranglehold on her barrows. She is intelligent, practical and a peerless seductress. She is served by:

• Witch Wolf: A lycathrope mystic who has trained her mistress in the arcane arts.
  • Doctor Righteous: An anti-Rock n' Roll Scientist/Counselor (Think Dr. Phil) who has an odd, compelling charisma and highly technical mindcontrol/brainwashing techniques. He in turn is served by:

(All Styx songs)

King of Fools (Twisted Sister): a one time high-roller who's illegal activities cost him everything he loved. He crossed the wrong people and was cast out, now risen from his spiritual morass to make things right, he gathered a few like-minded heroes to help him.

Renegade (Styx): A supersoldier who uncovered corruption in his unit and was framed for the murders of his team

Drug Dealer Extrordinaire: The Iceman, lover, fighter, and while he never tries his own product he is known as the bringer of the party.

The Iceman is from Sammy Hagar :)

"We are making a fortune off this prison," The chairman at the table said with a smile, "Yes, gents. The private prison industry is a goldmine."

"What about the cost of our political contributions?" One woman was not entirely convinced. An easy life combined with the best plastic surgeon money could buy had kept her looking twenty years younger but the calculating expression on her face showed how her soul was withering, "Is it hurting the overhead?"

The chairman shook his head, his grin growing wider, "Funding a politician to be 'tough on crime' is like paying a duck to swim. We pay thousands to push for longer prison sentences, three strike policies, and containment over rehabilitation, and when the public prisons are overwhelmed, we step in and get millions in government funding back for providing the need we helped create. The returns are only growing."

"Good," The woman smiled. Others added their own voices of agreement.

One mustached fellow joined in, but then when that died down, he added, "What about that retired warden? the one who was making political noise about us being a violation of the very system of ''true justice and redemption'' he wanted to serve?" The fellow made quote marks in the air over the virtues.

"Handled," The Chairman said, "Turns out about twenty five years ago, he had an affair. It was a standard one, he and his wife have settled it, but not only has the story leaked, its mutated... rumors that he MIGHT have pressured visiting female family members of past prisoners for sexual favors in exchange for 'better treatment' of their loved ones. He's outraged of course, but enough have doubts that his supposed moral authority is shot."

"Well, it COULD be true," The woman smirked. "I do wonder how these rumors get started on the internet."

"Don't we all," The mustached man smirked back as well, "It's very convenient."

Then, suddenly, the lights dimmed, it made the room look very shadowy. The fine garments the chairholders wore lost their luster, bright colors faded to drab.

"Some sort of brown out?" The woman asked, feeling oddly nervous.

"We have a back up generator," The chairman said in confusion, "It should handle a grid failure."

Then HE was among them. Nameless, with stern eyes on a pale weathered face, he seemed to drag the shadows in deeper with him, or perhaps he just made the shadows that had always been there more apparent. His costume, if it should be called that, was black. It seemed to draw the eye, drink in whatever light touched it, and it was hard to pull away.

"Oh god, he's real," The mustached exec gaped

"It's some gag,," The Chairperson insisted, "The Man in Black is an Urban Legend and..."

The man in black looked at the chairperson, "John Tarleton," he called the man by name. Their eyes met, and Tarleton found himself falling into those dark eyes, plummeting into the blackness.

Tarleton felt strange when he awoke, he looked up and saw the bars around him. He felt the wait of years of desperation, and the glimmer of hope that today he was due out for a hearing .Maybe he'd get his shot. But these weren't his memories, they weren't HIS feelings.

It didn't change the fact they were real and he was experiencing them, he scrambled as a guard came to the door, "Hey, my hearing's soon man, right? Today?" His lips moved, well, not HIS lips, but the words came out like he was part of some obscene script.

"Didn't you hear?" The Guard said with a sad shrug that stabbingly indifferent, "Law got changed yesterday. Parole hearing frequencies are being spread out. I think they rescheduled you to make your plea in another six months!"

"Six MONTHS? But I've been here years longer than they said I would. The cops told me I'd get parole soon for good behavior, so did the Public Defender!"

"Next time, get a better lawyer, and don't believe everything the police tell you," The guard now looked amused.

"I couldn't afford better!" Tarleton felt the anguish. The words weren't of his choosing, but the despair was still his It cut like a knife.

The female chair-holder gasped as their Chairman had gone fetal, "What did you do to him? This is illegal, this is immoral ...."

In a deep voice that seemed to command all others to be silent, the Man in Black stated, "I only return to you what you give."

Then he said her name, "Hilary Van Reese" and she fell.

"I'm hungry, mama," The child had learned to talk, and all he said was how hungry he was. Course, he was. Lean times made hungry kids. The lawsuits against her husband hadn't just been criminal, legal fee after legal fee combined to devastate them. There were programs to help, but so many hoops to go through, so many accusing eyes. Hilary Van Reese felt for the boy, in way she hadn't cared for anyone for years.

This isn't MY son ,she wanted to scream, but instead she bent down and kissed him on the brow, "Soon, baby. Soon. I'm going to check to see what I can afford at the market."

She walked out onto the street, feeling lost. Inside her, Hilary wanted to sneer. Why didn't this dumb broad just make the proper investments? Why anyone with a decent education would be able to...

and then Mrs. Van Reese realized. Her education was gone. Years of the best schools money could buy were murky and nebulous. She once had been able to juggle financial reports with ease, but now? She wasn't sure she could manage algebra.

A hand seized her arm, "Heard the man of the house got his parole delayed." The fellow who'd taken her arm wore a tiger striped jacket, and yellow hat with plume. Why hide what he was? There wasn't a person in THIS neighborhood that would do anything about it. His eyes raked over her, "Remember how you turned me down three years ago? Offer still stands, and you ain't getting any younger."

"I'm a married woman," Hilary felt her body blurt out, and felt a sting of horror settle in, nestling deep.

"Yeah, and he'd be real pissed to find his little boy living like a #$# hobo," The pimp shook his head, "Just try it for a night baby. Just once." He flashed an amount of money that seemed a pittance to Hilary, or would have, but now it seemed like a life line, a chance to provide and keep her head up just a bit longer.

And the woman folded, and Hilary collapsed with her. She'd try it, just once.

And that night, when the john told her to try the nose candy, she'd do it just once.

And then the next day after that, she'd do it 'once more' and again ,and again, until 'just once' was for as long as her crack addicted body was serviceable..

All around the Man in Black, the chairholders were twitching , sharing nightmares that had been all too real for others. Hours from now, they would return from their travels though those moments might feel like years. Whether they learned from this or not, he could never be sure. But some would, and that would be a start.

They'd thought he was an urban myth, now they knew better. Any local website search would have had this to warn them about him:

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back Up front there ought to be a Man In Black

The main railroad line through Paradise City is pretty much the dividing point between the good and bad parts of town and is often simply called "The Line". There have been many reported sightings of the Man in Black striding along those tracks.

Outside an abandoned wearhouse, two men are. One wearing an odd helmet. The man in the helmet speeks.

"We got eveything you asked for, boss. The superheroien Butterfly is inside, tussed up with some sticky web-reson thing. We placed a black hat into a tree, way on top as you asked. We installed a fan near a flag pole, and have it running day and night. We stold a fossil and placed it on a clift. We placed a salmon in an artifical waterfall and hiered an ice manipulator to freaze it. We put an inflatable whale toy on a beach. We kidnaped Richard Mann and tied him onto a golden bed. We fed a red fox to a pack of hounds. We broke the back of another superhero, The Gull. Boy was his wings black. Now I guess we wait for the rain."

The other man looked up, and it did start to rain. "How's the reports about sunspot activity?"

"There should be incresed activity all day today."

"Good. I beleve our visitor has arived from his transdimentinal trip."

Both men looked up, and spoted him/it. It had large butterfly wings atached to the back of a humanoid frame. It's head was like that of a spider, with a odd crest like a crown on top of it. Large spikes petrude it's body. It glanced upon the two figures. It spoke, but not with audable words, but with mental words. "You have one wish. Are you prepaired to pay the price?"

"Yes."

"You are missing two key coponents in this ritual."

"Not realy...Mister King? Start looking for a shadow." Just then, the man pressed a button in his hands, and the helmet came alive in it's grim work of gorgeing out the eyes of the other man. "Now, make me imortal."

The thing replied, "It is your desity, but I am the King Of Pain. Imortal you shall be, but be forever in pain." It then impailed the man with his body and flew up into the aeather, waiting for another foolish mortal who atempts to summon him.

(All Styx songs)

"I tell ya Erma, I can't wait 'till next week when they start to tear that d*mn old theater down."

Well, prehaps the most tragic event in Paradice City was durring the early 1980's, when that dasterly villian known only as Video senslessly slaughtered the superheroien Radiostar. Prehaps you herd the tribute song about the event...Video Killed The Radio Star.

paradise city has an underground racing circuit called Drag City. Many a racer has wiped out along Dead Man's Curve, wrecking their cars and going to the hospital. The police and highway patrol have tried to step up patrols along this stretch of road but have not abated the racing, or stopped the most famous racers (Little Duece, Old Lady, Wipeout, and Speed) from going about their business.

ces

Well' date=' prehaps the most tragic event in Paradice City was durring the early 1980's, when that dasterly villian known only as [i']Video[/i] senslessly slaughtered the superheroien Radiostar. Prehaps you herd the tribute song about the event...Video Killed The Radio Star.

I love that song

Well' date=' prehaps the most tragic event in Paradice City was durring the early 1980's, when that dasterly villian known only as [i']Video[/i] senslessly slaughtered the superheroien Radiostar. Prehaps you herd the tribute song about the event...Video Killed The Radio Star.

I love that song

Hard to believe what a big hit it was. In fact, it buggles the mind.

Hey Hermit, would you mind if I (re) posted some of my Rocker Hero characters to this thread? If so 5th or 6th edition?

How about some of my song based characters?

Lucius Alexander

I built this city with palindromedaries

Hey Hermit, would you mind if I (re) posted some of my Rocker Hero characters to this thread? If so 5th or 6th edition?

How about some of my song based characters?

Lucius Alexander

I built this city with palindromedaries

NO! ME! ME ONLY!

:)

We can stop at Tom's Diner for some coffee and people watching. (Though, good luck getting more than a half a cup until you're a regular there.)

Careful in the park of Cypress Grove, if the women catch ya there you don't go home, their leader drives a jacked-up Ford with a big bloodhound riding in the back (sometimes it looks like it might a razorback boar...).

And in the Cold Part Of Town, someone is waiting by the phone....

If you go through all the right Avenues And Alleyways you might find yourself at Rockaway Beach, or the Temple Of Love.

Most likely though, you'll just end up another lost soul on Detonation Boulevard.

Extra kudos for the Clutch reference...one of my all time favorite bands.