The Flash

Greywind

Lack of personal injury lawsuits is necessary to the genre. You can't have every person Flash whips out of a building at several hundred miles an hour suing him for whiplash (otherwise you end up with the plot from the Incredibles).

(Which is always a series I wanted to see on TV ... something dealing with the 'hidden' years of superheroes before Syndrome started offing them - like Bob did they still secretly continue to thwart crime?) )

Powerless - Superhero insurance company sitcom coming

Watched the pilot the other day. He wasn't 

It was a 90s superhero TV show - you have to remember to grade on a curve. :)

I can't say I'll miss him; it's obvious the writers had no idea what to do with the character. I just feel like that card's been overplayed. A lot. Reminds me of a line from The Importance Of Being Earnest: "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

You go and tell Bruce Wayne he isn't an orphan, then

He lost his parents as a child. They lost theirs as adults. The definition of orphan * is a child whose parents are dead. So, Bruce was an orphan, and those two never were orphans.

*Current dictionaries are allowing for one parent to be dead to fit the definition, so Barry might qualify as a former orphan if you use that definition.

Interesting that you equate wanting to BE a hero with wanting to LOOK LIKE a hero. They seem to be two different things to me.

"I wanted to be a hero" sounds to me a lot like "I wanted to be perceived as a hero". "Wally`s life was more important than my powers" sounds a lot more like a hero.

He should feel guilty about not wrapping his father in duct tape like a mummy in the fraction of a second it would have taken him. The police would have had a hard time convicting him of murder when he was clearly unable to move. I'm just sayin'....(It was literally the FIRST thing I thought of when he got to the past and was unable to save him mom. "Well, at least Dad won't go to prison!")

Spoken like a gamer. After all, the emotional impact of actually having the opportunity to completely reverse a horrific childhood event that reverberated throughout one`s entire life, only to realize that taking that opportunity would have unacceptable consequences, so the possibility must be abandoned, would not prevent one from clearly thinking through an array of other possibilities in a minute or two. Especially when we`ve seen no evidence Barry`s speed extends to mental processing speed.

I think it goes without saying that Barry has super fast mental processing capability. Otherwise he would not be able to react to anything that he encounters when moving at superspeed. He would not be able to read super fast or do his CSI work super fast, etc.

Didn't it bother anyone else that:

a. Zoom can apparently create portals from/to Earth-2 at will? That's one of those unexplained developments that comes from the minds of lazy, inept writers.

b. Barry just stood there and begged Zoom at the end rather than, oh I don't know, actively trying to stop him? Trying would have had infinitely higher chances of success than standing there like a sniveling child and pleading with that psycopath. Am I supposed to feel sorry for Barry now? It is hard to when he chose to just stand there and watch.

c. Barry is strangely very upset over what has just happened, which makes no sense for a character who can literally go back in time and change events. He has the ability to grant himself unlimited do-overs, but he doesn't bother?

There's just no justice in a world where Agent Carter gets cancelled while this garbage gets to continue.

I think it goes without saying that Barry has super fast mental processing capability. Otherwise he would not be able to react to anything that he encounters when moving at superspeed. He would not be able to read super fast or do his CSI work super fast, etc.

a. Zoom can apparently create portals from/to Earth-2 at will? That's one of those unexplained developments that comes from the minds of lazy, inept writers.

b. Barry just stood there and begged Zoom at the end rather than, oh I don't know, actively trying to stop him? Trying would have had infinitely higher chances of success than standing there like a sniveling child and pleading with that psycopath. Am I supposed to feel sorry for Barry now? It is hard to when he chose to just stand there and watch.

c. Barry is strangely very upset over what has just happened, which makes no sense for a character who can literally go back in time and change events. He has the ability to grant himself unlimited do-overs, but he doesn't bother?

There's just no justice in a world where Agent Carter gets cancelled while this garbage gets to continue.

a. Yeah, that bugged me a lot then and in the episode when Zoom stole Barry's speed. They need to hang a lantern on that one, just looks like sloppy writing from what I can see so far.

b. Thought the same thing. He could at least have tried to force Zoom to react instead of passively begging.

c. I don't think Barry considers this to be true. He's been burned by time travel every time he's done it, and he has the attention of the time wraith things on top of it.

Very true. Once this season is over, my compulsive need to just "see it through" to the finale will end and I will delete the show from my DVR schedule. Same with Arrow.

Unfortunately....ditto.

Same. I'm still interested in the characters, but the writing is below average. I stopped watching Arrow after season 2, and only decided to catch up with Flash S01 & Arrow S03) was because the Supergirl pilot and they were bringing back Caity Lotz in Legends. 

I far more enjoyed Flash S01 & Arrow S03 when watching them over two long weekends (Friday to Monday), so will most likely be doing it with the Arrowverse shows next season. I am more likely to watch Supergirl week-by-week because of Melissa and Calista. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that, for me, Melissa makes up for just about any amount of bad writing. But as much as I like the brighter tone of The Flash and Gustin's spirited portrayal, the horrible writing just makes it irredeemable for me. I can't help but feel that a season focused on Grodd would have been a lot more fun than this dreadful Zoom storyline. A lot more expensive to produce, but a lot more fun. And it might have helped keep me as a fan.

I'm not ashamed to admit that, for me, Melissa makes up for just about any amount of bad writing. But as much as I like the brighter tone of The Flash and Gustin's spirited portrayal, the horrible writing just makes it irredeemable for me. I can't help but feel that a season focused on Grodd would have been a lot more fun than this dreadful Zoom storyline. A lot more expensive to produce, but a lot more fun. And it might have helped keep me as a fan.

Yeah. Can we have a villain who is NOT a) also a speedster, and B) trying to steal Barry's speed. A physically powerful, mind-controlling gorilla would be good. Or someone who can jump from body to body. Sure, the Flash can catch him, maybe, but how do you hold him? Or a Xaver-class mentalist who can create illusions and mind control people at a distance. He could go on a crime spree and never leave his mansion. Which means leaving no clues, so fast as Barry is, he can't track him.

Or a superstrong woman who is as fast as Flash, who can fly besides, and shoot lasers from her eyes. She'd make a GREAT big bad for the season. I'm just sayin'....

Yes, Barry being so insanely fast means a lot of threats are easily handled. But not all. It just requires smarter writing.

Now that i've seen it

if (a) is the case, Zoom isn't trying hard enough for an amoral pathological sociopath. It would be easy for him to just kill all of Allen's close friends & family and just cause Allen to have an emotional and spiritual breakdown -- shatter his whole world. Do it in the middle of the night when they are all asleep and they/Allen wouldn't see it coming. 

For a supervillain, Zoom isn't trying hard enough, he's gone soft. 

Now that i've seen it

if (a) is the case, Zoom isn't trying hard enough for an amoral pathological sociopath. It would be easy for him to just kill all of Allen's close friends & family and just cause Allen to have an emotional and spiritual breakdown -- shatter his whole world. Do it in the middle of the night when they are all asleep and they/Allen wouldn't see it coming. 

For a supervillain, Zoom isn't trying hard enough, he's gone soft. 

I concur. And yes, it bothered me immensely that 1) Zoom was able to create a portal with his hand and escape to Earth-2, and 2) that Barry and friends apparently completely ignored the possibility that Zoom would COME BACK once the vibrational threat ended, since he can (apparently) come and go at will.

Yeah. The first hint that Zoom was back should have been Joe, Iris, Wally, Tina, Harrison, Jesse, Cisco, Caitlin and dear old dad all dropping with their throats slashed open. "A running man can cut a thousand throats in a night," Zoom says, as Barry stares in horror at his dead family and friends, "but that's if he's merely human. Why stop there? Let's go for a million." And he vanishes, running through the streets of Central City killing everyone he meets, with Flash in hot pursuit....and already on the road to madness from anger and grief.

Or, alternatively, if Barry's superspeed is always on and doesn't have to be activated, meaning he can react to Zoom's sudden appearance as quickly as a normal person could react to a normal intruder bursting through the door--all everyone else sees is a blast of displaced air and then a tornado of red and yellow lightning until one or the other of them drops, unconscious or dead, or flees.