The Flash

Greywind

We know:

On Earth 1 The Star Labs explosion caused the metahumans. 

On Earth 1 The rift at the end of season 1 of The Flash caused the breaches (portals) to other Earths

On Earth 1 Time travel exists (cf Legends of Tomorrow)

On Earth 2 people have different lives to their Earth 1 counterparts. 

On Earth 2 the Star Labs explosion resulted in Earth 2 metahumans (pretty sure about this)

Ergo

If there was a similar rift On Earth 2 that caused the initial breaches on Earth 1, then Earth 2 could access other Earth's independently of Earth 1. Also this would mean there are potentially more Earths than the 52 hypothetical Earths from the Earth 1 rift. 

I don't know where people keep coming up with the 52 rifts leading anywhere other than to Earth 2. All indications on the show have been that they go between 1 & 2. The fact that Zoom could pop out of any one of them. The fact that Wells told Barry that the rifts were all closed, so there was no way back to Earth 2. Those two things and a lot of other dialog indicate only a bunch of holes punched between Earths 1 & 2. Did I miss something that was said in show? B/C the speculation isn't supported as far as I can tell.

When they went through the rift to Earth-2, there was a blurred montage of images from all those "other" Earths. Those were not all images of Earth-1 or Earth-2. If you go back and listen to, I think it was Wells, originally describe the rifts he mentions how each one connects to a potentially different version of Earth. And as you pass through a rift, it would seem you see images of the others. Zoom presumably knows how to navigate the network of rifts on all the different Earths and use it like a multi-dimensional rail system.

But then maybe I am completely misunderstanding it all as well. It's not like the writers go out of their way to make any sense out of the mess they've created.

I don't know where people keep coming up with the 52 rifts leading anywhere other than to Earth 2. All indications on the show have been that they go between 1 & 2. The fact that Zoom could pop out of any one of them. The fact that Wells told Barry that the rifts were all closed, so there was no way back to Earth 2. Those two things and a lot of other dialog indicate only a bunch of holes punched between Earths 1 & 2. Did I miss something that was said in show? B/C the speculation isn't supported as far as I can tell.

My take on this is that, given an infinite number of parallel earths (and no reason not to assume that once we know the number is greater than one), another Star Labs explosion (or some controlled detonation intended to create a breach) would randomly open a portal to some OTHER parallel earth. Mathematically, the odds of it being Earth-2 again are infinity to one. Plotwise, it's almost a certainty. Plus, assuming the "nearest" parallel worlds are those that most closely mirror Earth-1, the chances of revisiting a previously explored parallel world go way up.

And this doesn't even take into account that many parallel worlds are likely to be so similar to your own that you couldn't tell the difference between them (did I even go anywhere? is this the same Earth-1a I visited last week or Earth-1b and does it really matter either way?). Plus, as Larry Niven has written about, while you're away from YOUR world (assuming the branching-timelines version of multiple earths) it is continuing to split into countless nearly-identical parallels diverging slowly over time. "Broadening of the bands" he called it. You come back to "your" earth, but it's now only one of billions so identical nobody can tell the difference.

And all of that is way too involved for a CBS network show. So let me boil it down. Minor spoilers for the Flash/Supergirl crossover ahead:

We know from various sites that Flash will be going to Supergirl's world. Only Flash. Cisco will not, sadly, get to geek out over Supergirl, much as I'd like to see that. So I think they'll figure out a way to open a single, controlled portal. And they'll think it's to Earth-2. Barry will go through--and find himself in Supergirl's world for the crossover episode. He'll return, they'll recalibrate, and then he'll be off to Earth-2 to confront Zoom.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh thank goodness for my Flash Fix.

They didn't go the direction with Trajectory I expected, but that's not a bad thing per se.  Barry faces blame and frame for her actions but mostly thanks to one Newspaper guy who looks set to become his own J.Jonah if the writers take the direction. This could easily have been merely a 'don't do drugs kids' very special episode if not for some important seeds planted....

Jesse learned her father goes too far to protect her, and now has a reason for future speed of her own. 

And blue means something... dropping clues about Zoom's reasons and questions about Jay. The heroes maybe going to some mistaken ideas themselves.

Not the best episode, but not the worst, and I admit, I was just glad to see the show back!

I consider last night's episode to be the weakest I can recall seeing in the series.  

I still enjoyed it quite a bit (which says something) - the banter was great, the lines overall were great, there was nothing wrong with the effects or the acting - I just found the story to be a little weak.  The reasons for going, the lack of major changes despite *far* greater interference in events than previous incursions...

It had holes you could drive a starship through, but I admit I  liked a lot regardless.

Barry bluffing out Thawne about the letter was cool. The fact Pied Piper is now an ally? Neat.

but yes, if this were a HERO system game, I'd say Barry managed to roll some positive Luck to keep from ending up in a worse situation

My eyes hurt from all the rolling they did last night over all the dumb time travel nonsense this show feeds us. This show tries to pass off its "scientist" characters as intelligent while simultaneously insulting the intelligence of every viewer who tunes in. The characters are very likable, but the plotlines are worse than bad. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved watching The Flash, but the last episode had me almost cracking my skull banging it against the wall in frustration.  When

Jay / Zoom broke free of the restraint

I half expected Syndrome to show up, chuckling maniacally and saying, "You caught him monologuing!"

Honestly, Barry, you couldn't run him down and lock him in a cell before gloating and questioning him?

I can't even talk about the other thing. 

I can excuse the characters taking a few stupid pills to move a plot along.  However, it's sad to see them take an overdose.