The Flash

Greywind

My problem is the "paradox" he has now setup and the lack of faith of them doing it correctly. With his mother not dying -- his father doesn't go to prison -- Barry doesn't go to live with Wests -- He isn't "driven" to become a forensics expert (heck, he might follow his father into medicine - not far different) -- He isn't in the lab when the pulse happens -- He doesn't become the flash (something they may have hinted at with the younger Barry disappearing/fading (not running back through time)).

Who knows,  maybe what they are setting up is that Wally's mom didn't leave and maybe Wally became the forensics guy and is the new Flash.

My problem is the "paradox" he has now setup and the lack of faith of them doing it correctly. With his mother not dying -- his father doesn't go to prison -- Barry doesn't go to live with Wests -- He isn't "driven" to become a forensics expert (heck, he might follow his father into medicine - not far different) -- He isn't in the lab when the pulse happens -- He doesn't become the flash (something they may have hinted at with the younger Barry disappearing/fading (not running back through time)).

Who knows,  maybe what they are setting up is that Wally's mom didn't leave and maybe Wally became the forensics guy and is the new Flash.

with the original Earth 1 Wells, who knows when the pulse will actually happen?

Well, I guess at the end of the day they still left a few frames free for Flash special effects in the murder house for when he has to run back in time and change what happened that night *again*.

"Ok, ok! Places people! Reverse Flash, you come in from the right and try and kill her.  Flash number 1 - come in and save Young Barry. Put up your hand to ward off Flash number 2 before saving us.  Flash 3 - now you come in and deck Reverse Flash in the snozz.  Ok, Flash 2 - your part of the plan now is instead of getting closure by holding her in her dying moments and letting her know we're safe you get erased from history. Cool? Cool.  Alright since we ALL know how well stopping the murder worked out we're on to Flash 4 - attack Flash before he decks Reversie.  Flash's 6 and 7 - intercept Flash 5 when he changes his mind again.  Flash 8 through 10 - watch out for Jay and Wally this time."

"Remember, people, half of us are time remnants now so Flash 11 and 12 - you're wraith bait.  Let's move, we only have infinite more times we can do this to get it right!"

This show signed its own death warrant with the very first drag it took from the time travel crackpipe. I just knew the writers were going to keep smoking from that pipe until it ruined the show. It's like every generation of writers think they are immune from this simple truth: Time Travel Doesn't Work.

Now all my hopes for DC on television rest with Supergirl. I just hope they don't make the same mistake. Is that a foolish hope?

Something else occurred to me. The Jay Garrick Flash said he was from what they would call earth-3. Isn't Earth-3, in DC continuity, the home of the Sindicate (or whatever the evil version of the JL is)?

That is bascially what Earth-2 is in the TV show. All the heroes have evil counterparts. I expect that the TV Earth-3 will be the equivalent of Comic Earth-2.

This show signed its own death warrant with the very first drag it took from the time travel crackpipe. I just knew the writers were going to keep smoking from that pipe until it ruined the show. It's like every generation of writers think they are immune from this simple truth: Time Travel Doesn't Work.

Now all my hopes for DC on television rest with Supergirl. I just hope they don't make the same mistake. Is that a foolish hope?

Time travel doesn't work? The BBC would likely disagree, possibly while reclining on all the money they've made off Dr. Who and it's related merchandise.

Time travel doesn't work? The BBC would likely disagree, possibly while reclining on all the money they've made off Dr. Who and it's related merchandise.

Yeah, but (while I'm sure there may be exceptions), Dr Who treats time travel more as travel (i.e., a way to get to visit interesting times/places/people) and not as a "get out of jail free" card. They're quite explicit that many events are Fixed and cannot be changed (for reasons my tiny human brain cannot comprehend). But even where they're not, you don't see the Doctor returning to the same point in time over and over and over again, trying to change what happened. Generally, if someone gets killed, they stay dead. The Doctor doesn't get do-over after do-over.

And that, not time travel in general, is where the Flash writers are screwing up. Someone commented on how Barry has never gotten over his mother's death. Well, prior to becoming the Flash, it looked like he had--as much as anyone can in such a situation. He grew up with Joe as his foster father, became a forensic scientist and was living his life. He believed his dad was innocent of the murder and was trying to find a way to free him, but he was dealing with it.

Now that he's so fast he can time travel pretty much at will? Why SHOULD he put it behind him? It's NOT. He can revisit that moment (for good or ill) anytime he likes. The temptation to try to fix it would be enormous for ANYONE who could do that, no matter how many times you're told it will only make things worse.

What I'd like to see (not that I expect to) is that Flash saved his mother. His father didn't go to jail. He didn't grow up with the Wests as his foster family. He returns to "the present" to find it completely different. He's still the Flash, but he acquired his powers (according to Caitlin, Cisco and Wells 3.0) in a different way. He's got an intact family and a whole history...that he doesn't remember. He's basically living through an episode of Quantum Leap in which he's jumped into his own life and has to fake his way through it until he's up to speed. And even at that, HE still remembers growing up without a mother, and a father in prison, and all the rest of it.

What I'd like to see (not that I expect to) is that Flash saved his mother. His father didn't go to jail. He didn't grow up with the Wests as his foster family. He returns to "the present" to find it completely different. He's still the Flash, but he acquired his powers (according to Caitlin, Cisco and Wells 3.0) in a different way. He's got an intact family and a whole history...that he doesn't remember. He's basically living through an episode of Quantum Leap in which he's jumped into his own life and has to fake his way through it until he's up to speed. And even at that, HE still remembers growing up without a mother, and a father in prison, and all the rest of it.

Sounds good!

A variation would be to make it so that when Barry gets back to the present, it's another Barry who is living that life. "Our" Barry is now the odd man out. What to do, what to do?

He's got an intact family and a whole history...that he doesn't remember.

This is exactly how they handled it the last time he changed the past. The whole team remembered Pied Piper becoming an ally, but Barry never experienced it. I think it's probably more important to him to save his parents than to gain back his own lost time with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hulu won't be carrying current episodes of CW shows any more. Looks like if you want to see the current season, you can either tune in or watch it on your computer or tablet (through the CW app).

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-cw-output-deal-the-flash-hulu-1201799176/

Too bad. If I can't stream it to my TV, then I'm not watching it. This will probably make me lose interest in all but iZombie by the time they come to Netflix.

This probably means that I'll need to set my other PC to act as a recorder, or I'll just wait until the shows land on Netflix. I've been paying for the ad-free version of Hulu, and while there are other shows that I'll watch, it will mean that a good chunk of my weekly viewing is going away.