The Flash

Greywind

I was pretty disappointed with The Flash season opener. After all the build-up about Flashpoint!!!!! I expected it to last a while, maybe all season, and to see Barry living with--or learning to live with--the ramifications (for good or ill) of his decision to change the timeline so drastically. There was a LOT of potential there.

I expected (or perhaps only WANTED) to see Barry dealing with a whole lifetime "he" had lived that he had no memory of, because he still remembers only what happened in the timeline he changed. Yes, his parents are alive. But what if he had a sibling (or siblings) he didn't recognize and knew nothing about? A whole different set of friends and co-workers he didn't remember? What if he'd gone into a whole different line of work because he didn't grow up with the unsolved (in his mind) murder of his mother to drive him toward criminology? Everyone would wonder about him and why he's developed such complete amnesia for his past (and worry even more if they realize he remembers a whole different life that none of them recognize). Someone could have tried to investigate? What if they'd found that poor man crazy old Barry was holding captive--and released him without Barry knowing (for a while)?

Instead we get the merest hint of all this, and it's over by the end of the episode. Disappointing. Very disappointing.

Good episode overall, but I agree I feel like they could've made the concept last more than a single episode before returning to Status Quo Ante.

Put some facilities in those cells,

Glad I'm not the only one that bugs.

The point of doing Flashpoint is to bring Laurel Lance back over on Arrow. :D

Nope. As of the Arrow Season 1 opener, she's still dead. (At least officially; I'm still not ruling out shenanigans.)

Watched episode 2 tonight. Seems like Barry's dropping the matter, but the new villain seems to know something. I'm wondering how big of an impact the timeline changes are going to have throughout the season. Seems like they could go with anything from largely inconsequential characterization changes to building up for a major reveal at the season climax.

Sad Cisco was a truly depressing thing to see.

And Felicity is right.  Barry really is like pudding.  Or maybe pie.

I wonder if changing his timeline would have mild reverberations across other alternate Earths, through the people from those alt-Earths he's interacted with in his past (Harrison Wells, Jay Garrick, etc.).

What I took from the first episode of this season (haven't seen #2 yet) is that time travel is only allowed to make Barry's life worse. He can never improve his situation, not even a little bit, or fate will come along and pimpslap him for even trying.

In Ep2, they even make a halfway-plausible explanation* for why that's so.

* Grading on comic-book-plausibility scale.

So did Flashpoint erase Maxwell Lord from Supergirl?

Martian Manhunter is masquerading as Maxwell Lord after the real Lord's untimely...accident. Since we see him a lot as Hank or Martian Manhunter, he hasn't had a lot of screentime as Max yet.

In other news, Lord Industries has become much more cooperative with the authorities of late.

(Hey, MM already has a well-known secret identity (well known to our heroes, anyhow). Nobody would ever suspect he has another.

I wasn't sold on the whole Barry-Iris romance initially, but I feel like I'm getting there. Mirror Master was fun. Top was okay, tho that's Sisko's worst name yet. Hipster Welles was hysterical and I can't wait to see more of him! I'm looking forward to seeing more of Killer Frost too, tho I'm not clear how she got her powers without Alchemy's involvement?

Martian Manhunter is masquerading as Maxwell Lord after the real Lord's untimely...accident. Since we see him a lot as Hank or Martian Manhunter, he hasn't had a lot of screentime as Max yet.

In other news, Lord Industries has become much more cooperative with the authorities of late.

(Hey, MM already has a well-known secret identity (well known to our heroes, anyhow). Nobody would ever suspect he has another.

Reminds me of Senator Kelly in X-Men after Mystique took his place.