The Flash

Greywind

I'm pretty sure he says they have no way at all to get there. Much as I enjoy the show, that episode had some big writing problems.

If he thought it wasn't a reliable way, but he had been to other earths by running, he absolutely puts no effort into getting help working out a way to do it. But really, the entire tone of the episode was that he thought he couldn't get there at all. The Supergirl crossover is like a nonexistent blip. We assume that's where he was, but his insistence that without the portals, there's no way to get to Earth-2 are a bit at odds with our knowledge that he was probably just on another Earth.

That said, if writing problems could kill the Flash, the comic book would have died years ago.

The answer is intuitively obvious!

THIS Flash, OUR Flash, the one we watch each week on the CW, didn't visit Supergirl's earth. That was ANOTHER Flash from another earth, very closely aligned with the one we see, but not the same one.

See? Easy!

The answer is intuitively obvious!

THIS Flash, OUR Flash, the one we watch each week on the CW, didn't visit Supergirl's earth. That was ANOTHER Flash from another earth, very closely aligned with the one we see, but not the same one.

See? Easy!

This reasoning never works with my wife. Despite the numerous times that my alternate Earth self has reorganized the can goods into my preferred order(in short, real order, versus "lima beans and tomato products DO NOT BELONG IN THE SAME ROWS, DAMNIT!)

She will never know what a hero he is on his world. I am lucky he is looking out for me, but until we are seen in the same place at the same time, she doubts my word.

What did everyone think about the Flash/DS9 crossover this week? The Speed Force had similar surrealistic lighting as Sisko's orb experiences. The force appeared as old friends and family while giving cryptic advice (though the SF was more helpful than the prophets). Barry's Mom was part of the Speed Force (for the duration of the Force experience) just like Sisko's mother was a prophet.

The "Why do you exist here?" conversation which led to Sisko starting to accept his wife's death and become the Emissary was replaced with a simple "Barry, you need to accept your mother's death and be the Flash we mean you to be."

At least the Speed Force understood linear time.

That was the worst Flash episode in a long, long time, IMO. Representing the speed force as people who interact with the Flash was goofy and seemed to be used for some forced Barry melodrama. Of course, I never read a single Flash comic so I don't have the perspective that regular readers have on the nature and aspect of the "speed force".

After the episode, I googled the Speed Force. I really never read any Flash comics, just read the Flash in team comics. So, I had a vague idea that the Speed Force was semi-sentient or something. According to one source, Barry is the source of the Speed Force. If that's the case with the show as well, then having the Speed Force talk to him in the guise of people from his life makes sense.

That said, the episode was a boring mope fest. If it's the last boring mope fest now that he's accepted his mother's death and his powers, then I'd be very happy, but somehow I doubt the moping will actually end. It is the CW after all.

Having the speed force come from Barry is at odds with the notion, promulgated by the show itself, that the speed force is a separate semi-sentient entity that chooses its host(s).

Well, if Barry is the current host of the speed force, it does come from him.

Having the speed force come from Barry is at odds with the notion, promulgated by the show itself, that the speed force is a separate semi-sentient entity that chooses its host(s).

The writers may still be tapping the basic idea that Barry has a close, even personal, relationship to the speed force, even if they're coming at it from a different angle. They may never even address the reasons behind that manifestation of the speed force, just leaving it as a call out to that bit of comic lore. They tend to do a lot of little homages on the show.

Having the speed force come from Barry himself, as if it was a property unique to his being, raises the rather confusing question as to how others--especially those from other Earths where Barry isn't a speedster--have obtained it and become speedsters also. It's not like he's ever consciously granted it to anyone before Zoom threatened Wally.

As far as I know, the Flash stuff gets all kinds of weird. I doubt the writers will go that way with it on the show, as it'd be absurdly hard to sell to a general audience, since it gets into serious chicken-egg issues. Giving Barry a close, personal relationship with the Speed Force is certainly within the bounds of a CW show, though. They just have to give it random relationship issues and they're all set. :P

And . . . who cares about this notion? It's just something on a comic wiki. The show is simply taking an element that relates to that and using it, which is that Barry has a close relationship to the speed force. Nothing about that one element means it has to come from Barry. In the comics, as I understand it (from reading about said comics, as I've said before I've never read his solo books), Barry is portrayed as the speedster with the strongest/closest connection to the speed force. That's it. Forget about the speed force coming from Barry.

People should ignore comics when looking at the TV or movie versions of characters and vice versa.

And who knows if the speed force was sentient or not? The whole thing may have simply been in Barry's mind as he worked through his issues -- essentially a dream.

People should ignore comics when looking at the TV or movie versions of characters and vice versa.

And who knows if the speed force was sentient or not? The whole thing may have simply been in Barry's mind as he worked through his issues -- essentially a dream.

Gee, you mean the TV and movie versions of characters are different than the comics version?

The show runners don't ignore the comics. They constantly drop references and Easter eggs. They also purposely deviate from the comics to keep the story fresh, even for long time comics fans.

The speed force doesn't have to be sentient or come from Barry or  . . . whatever. It could all have been a dream or hallucination. (In the context of the show, I actually like this explanation the best.) But that doesn't mean that the show runners weren't referencing Barry's close relationship with the speed force.