In other news...

tkdguy

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I'd recommend the same seasons for Toronto too. Summer tends to be hot and muggy. Winter cold and snowy (and slushy), although not as severe as many other parts of Canada. But there's a ton of stuff to see and do in the city and surrounding areas; and there are plenty of fun festivals in the summer.

I live outside Detroit (Ann Arbor/Ypsi) and love going to Toronto. Amazing city with the worst drivers this side of Boston... but otherwise very cool place to visit.

11 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

I live outside Detroit (Ann Arbor/Ypsi) and love going to Toronto. Amazing city with the worst drivers this side of Boston... but otherwise very cool place to visit.

Worst drivers?  You've clearly never been to North Carolina.

19 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

This may be why the city never fazed me when I went there for my honeymoon & 10th anniversary...

African Swine Fever has arrived in China, and that is NOT good news.  China raises a lot of pigs, many many on small farms, and the disease is often fatal; there is presently no vaccine and no treatment for infected animals (it does not affect humans, except via starvation if an important protein source is wiped out of the diet).  Small farms are extremely difficult to control in terms of animal diseases.  The disease is not yet in the American hemisphere (and it won't be good when it reaches here), but a much greater proportion of pork production in the US is in large farms, which makes disease control easier.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

I won't say Tennessee drivers are the WORST (Though it feels they are in the running) but 90% of them do equate using a turn signal with "Giving your position away to the enemy"

I have come to feel that latter sentiment is valid, also.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, RDU Neil said:

21 hours ago, Badger said:

Worst drivers?  You've clearly never been to North Carolina.

That's to the OTHER side of Boston.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't want to take sides

10 hours ago, Hermit said:

I won't say Tennessee drivers are the WORST (Though it feels they are in the running) but 90% of them do equate using a turn signal with "Giving your position away to the enemy"

What?  You don't want people following you, do you?

What?

The LHC seems to have observed the main channel for decay of the Higgs boson.

You sorta need to have a handle on the Standard Model of particle physics to be able to understand most of what's there.  

There isn't anything profoundly new there; it's something that had to be found sooner or later unless there's something way wrong with the Standard Model.