Modern day mage's outfit?

Ragitsu

Hello all!

I'm trying to think of a unique outfit for a modern day character that clearly states "I am a mage". The color will be some shade of blue or purple, and there will be gold trim...possibly even embroidered pinpricks representing stars. The fabric itself will be something appropriately luxurious.

However, there are two broad categories of clothing I want to avoid ->

1. Cloaks/robes.

2. Suits (three-piece, business, tuxedos, etc).

So, with the above rules in mind, i'd like suggestions for what the actual outfit shape/style might be.

May not be a suit, but when I think of modern day magic my mind always goes to illusionist and the way they tend to dress. Normally something flamboyant often with a vest and tie, rarely with a suit jacket, slacks (normally moderately priced like the ones that are only $100 a pair not the expensive ones).

Often times they will compliment it with a cool long jacket, but the long coats are almost always inappropriately expensive. I have seen mediocre illusionist wearing full length leather trench coats for example.

On the other end in non-modern settings i always associate a wizards clothes with courtly dress (quality and comfortable). In a modern environment the way we advertise power (what courtly dress would have advertised in the past) is with finer quality clothes not necessarily better cuts. For example Paris Hilton may be wearing a $200 tee shirt, but it is simply made a little different and most people could not tell her tee from one bought at Walmart, except that once hers is stained or dirty it is thrown away.

How about the accouterments associated with being a mage (namely talismans and charms) mixed in with whatever they are wearing. Perhaps being a modern wizard entails carrying a staff or cane that signifies the person's relative level of mastery. Maybe there is a class signet ring to go along with that handy, dandy Massachusetts University of Thaumaturgy degree that is hanging on the wall. Maybe a suit would work one day and the old jeans a t-shirt get up the next. Maybe you can't even tell who the mage is until they start slinging fireballs down range.

Historically (and I use this term loosely), real-word wizards (speaking of loosely...) have opted for the anachronistic quite often. After all, in almost all cases we're talking about masters of ancient wisdom here, so allusions to the exact source of his awesome power are just bound to happen. That often entailed Egyptian or qabbalistic symbols, or the well-documented garb of the Atlantean high priests.

But that's "office wear", of course. For your casual adventuring Fridays, you're probably going for something more mundane. Although it's hard to pick out something that avoids major overlap with hipsters, goths, new age hippies and Doctor Who fan art. Never mind that the absence of suits clearly wrecks any attempt at true style from the very beginning ;)

I'm a big fan of Nehru jackets, if a minimalistic silhouette is desired. Otherwise, chaotic layers would probably be great, mixing at least one article of formal fashion (jacket, coat) with sweaters, jeans etc.

I'm getting a bit tired of old-fashioned shirts, though. Even the less frilly ones.

Another option would be high fashion. I mean, look at what some male runway models wears. They're either aliens or wizards. With cheekbones.

Are you looking for standard uniform that all wizards' wear or are you looking for personal fashion?  

In either case what duties are the outfits for; Social, work (physical, office or laboratory), Academic.  What the outfit is used for will determine material and design.  Is the outfit to be practical or is it for show?

When I last did a modern wizard he wore a long overcoat which had copious pockets to hold his materials and scrolls.  The coat was inscribes with symbols of power and protection, they were faintly visible but when active glowed with power.

I kind of always figured John Constantine to actually be the best representation of what a modern mage might look like actually...

Though given your description, I'd make his tie a black or dark purple color, with small silver threads in it that sort of 'twinkle' like stars depending on how the light hits it.

If sorcery requires many materials and foci, then that would seem to encourage a lot of pockets; hence jackets and coats.  I also note that the 'stereotypical' wizard is often attired in garments that bear glyphs and runes of some significance.  So now we're talking about jackets and other pieces that are heavily decorated, with a lot of flair.

Furthermore, depending on the type of magic, jewelry and tattoos may also play a large role.  Tattoos nowadays aren't even unusual so there's no reason for wizards to need to hide them, except perhaps from people who might understand their true significance.

So we're looking for people who are heavily tatted and pierced, with layers of clothes that can conceal items and/or are covered with mystic runes or talismans.  Which to me means bikers, punk rockers, possibly gangbangers, or perhaps hipster douchebags.

You're welcome.

Oh, and in about six years when grunge comes back, that look will fit in pretty well too.

If sorcery requires many materials and foci, then that would seem to encourage a lot of pockets; hence jackets and coats.  I also note that the 'stereotypical' wizard is often attired in garments that bear glyphs and runes of some significance.  So now we're talking about jackets and other pieces that are heavily decorated, with a lot of flair.

Furthermore, depending on the type of magic, jewelry and tattoos may also play a large role.  Tattoos nowadays aren't even unusual so there's no reason for wizards to need to hide them, except perhaps from people who might understand their true significance.

So we're looking for people who are heavily tatted and pierced, with layers of clothes that can conceal items and/or are covered with mystic runes or talismans.  Which to me means bikers, punk rockers, possibly gangbangers, or perhaps hipster douchebags.

You're welcome.

Oh, and in about six years when grunge comes back, that look will fit in pretty well too.

I could see less flashy wizards having "work clothes" consisting of cargo shorts/pants with extra pockets and those multi-pocketed vests I've only ever seen fly fisherman on TV wear.

my principle uk mage is the physician she hunts monster for the crown and uses a combination of enchanted fire arms and blades mundane weapons her look is tweed hunting garb riding boots in heavy combat she wears a bullet proof vest with a silver and cold iron strike plates. she also carries a satchel with extra ammo and spell gear plus a few white phosphorus grenades.

something more modern for a male mage would be a waist coat(vest) in red silk or velvet embroidered with runes and sigils with a silver watch chain hung with a few amulets as well as a pocket watch with celestial calendar for calculating time for ritual magic. over a white linen shirt with rolled up sleeves to show off mystic tattoos and silver rings of power (great for punching werewolves) jeans or mole skin pants an leather trainers.

something more casual would be a stylish hoodie and combat pants and a messenger bag for gear. hang some talismans and fetishes around your neck and w

rist.Red_d25d1359-4412-4bc0-b5b6-4a22c1b5d2a7

14d5_technomancer_digital_wizard_hoodie.

one thing to consider is the your mages  magical style if its all book based and incantations in dead languages then something academic and bookish might be thr right look

if it's blood magic think emo or goth 

if it's nature magic then it would be hippy trustafarian stoner style

computational demonologis t=  cargo pants and internet meme tee-shirt with a laptop bag.

luck magic river boat gambler or rat pack suit

techno magic overalls and tool belt.