Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Warlock in the comics is so tied in to Thanos it's tough to see what they would do with him.  No soul gem, no Thanos, he's just a blank slate.  I suspect a "Warlock in Name Only" to accompany "Mantis in Name Only"

29 minutes ago, zslane said:

If they still introduce Adam Warlock, he will undoubtedly be re-purposed for whatever cosmic story arc they have in mind for Phase 4 (and beyond).

Adam Warlock's first comic series started out having nothing to do with Thanos, though. He was heavily involved with the High Evolutionary, and was the would-be savior of HE's creation, Counter-Earth. They could go with that story line.

You know, I've sometimes wondered what Samuel Sterns has been up to after the end of The Incredible Hulk. Maybe instead of the Leader, he becomes the High Evolutionary.

35 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Adam Warlock's first comic series started out having nothing to do with Thanos, though. He was heavily involved with the High Evolutionary, and was the would-be savior of HE's creation, Counter-Earth. They could go with that story line.

You know, I've sometimes wondered what Samuel Sterns has been up to after the end of The Incredible Hulk. Maybe instead of the Leader, he becomes the High Evolutionary.

I don't know how well The Passion of the Warlock would go over with audiences.

4 hours ago, massey said:

I don't know how well The Passion of the Warlock would go over with audiences.

Well, North American TV audiences have been eating up American gods, the redemption of Lucifer and God turning evil. This might be the right zeitgeist for that.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Sure - he started out as a blank slate.  The HE also handed him the Soul Gem, though, although its status only developed over time.  Of course, that series had religious overtones (Man-Beast as Satan to Warlock as Jesus) which may not be palatable to execs not wanting to tick off the bible belt.  But at least there's a Hulk tie-in, since the story played out in Hulk after Warlock's book was cancelled.

And the show just finished its fourth season on Netflix, in spite of that opposition. While Supernatural, which has featured demons, angels, Lucifer, and God as major recurring characters, has fourteen seasons under its belt. I suspect those examples may carry more weight for Marvel if they're thinking of "the Passion of the Warlock" with only analogies to those themes.

42 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

As I suggested above, if Supernatural, Lucifer and American Gods hasn't caused the Bible Belt to riot, I strongly doubt many folks there would get upset over this.

I think there's a difference in expected audiences though.  People in the Bible Belt don't freak out over Game of Thrones either, but they aren't expecting to see titties and wieners in a Marvel movie.  It's a question of whether the content matches your expectations.

Disney is usually very careful not to put anything into a Marvel movie that might turn off the family-oriented audience with traditional values. That said, allegory is certainly on the table. As long as they don't have characters named Jesus and Lucifer (and God), then they are probably safe. Mephisto has been bandied about as a possible antagonist for Dr. Strange, so I'd say Disney isn't afraid to take some chances along those lines.

I think they’ve gone out of their way to avoid offending any religious conservatives.  I appreciate that — I can watch their movies with my mom with no worries.

Odin:  We are not gods...

Captain America:  There’s only one God, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t dress like that.

Quill:  You’re a god?

Kurt Russell:  Small “g”.

Having Adam Warlock get crucified on the ankh and then rise 3 days later would be a reversal on that.  I still like the character, I just think they’ll steer well clear of the counter-earth stuff.

I think we're looking at the long side of disinterest into Marvel movies only buoyed by the terrible DC movies which will make Marvel look good by comparison.

The last few DC movies have been pretty darn solid, which only makes Marvel's job that much harder.  But unless they really pull a rabbit out of that hat, I see Marvel's star on the decline after this,.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

Disney is usually very careful not to put anything into a Marvel movie that might turn off the family-oriented audience with traditional values. That said, allegory is certainly on the table. As long as they don't have characters named Jesus and Lucifer (and God), then they are probably safe. Mephisto has been bandied about as a possible antagonist for Dr. Strange, so I'd say Disney isn't afraid to take some chances along those lines.

Oh right, I forgot about Mephisto. Devil character without being "the Devil." He definitely has possibilities.

Marvel did introduce demons and dark magic to their television division, with Ghost Rider and the Darkhold on Agents of SHIELD. Not much controversy as a result, and very positive word of mouth. So it seems Disney is willing to at least go that far.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The last few DC movies have been pretty darn solid, which only makes Marvel's job that much harder.  But unless they really pull a rabbit out of that hat, I see Marvel's star on the decline after this,.

There's nothing Marvel can do that will come anywhere close to the buildup to Endgame, at least for years to come. So in that sense, yes, their star will be "on the decline" in comparison. But they still have a vast roster of characters and stories to draw from, and they've shown a knack for turning those characters into money-making icons.

As for DC movies, Kevin Feige is on record as being of the "a rising tide floats all boats" philosophy. Meaning in this case that better superhero movies from every producer raises interest in the genre.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The last few DC movies have been pretty darn solid

Aquaman has been the only unqualified success since WB cleaned house over at DC after the Justice League debacle. I think people are in too much of a hurry to congratulate DC for not sucking in cinema.