Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Tony Stark reminded the assembled Avengers of that nuke launch during Age of Ultron, Jim Rhodes said explicitly that he had never heard of it before. And he was an Air Force colonel and, as Iron Patriot, a special American government operative. So yeah, almost certainly classified.

Huh, I have no memory of that conversation. When was it? (Don't have time to go rewatch the whole movie right now...)

In terms of what would need to be covered up, the Manhatten-bound nuke really wasn't a big deal. It was one missile launched from one plane that never detonated at its intended target.

Well the missile itself would've been pretty clearly visible, not to mention showing up on every air traffic control radar in the state. It would likely have shown up on some news crew's video. But of course it wouldn't be obvious it was a nuke. In fact it would probably just look like the military was attacking the aliens. They could even have claimed that sending it through the wormhole was the plan all along. So yeah, not impossible, especially given it was almost certainly a HYDRA Agent who fired it in the first place.

Huh, I have no memory of that conversation. When was it? (Don't have time to go rewatch the whole movie right now...)

Just after Ultron first manifested and attacked the team at Avengers Tower, while Tony was arguing with Cap and Thor justifying his actions in creating Ultron.

Well the missile itself would've been pretty clearly visible, not to mention showing up on every air traffic control radar in the state. It would likely have shown up on some news crew's video. But of course it wouldn't be obvious it was a nuke. In fact it would probably just look like the military was attacking the aliens. They could even have claimed that sending it through the wormhole was the plan all along. So yeah, not impossible, especially given it was almost certainly a HYDRA Agent who fired it in the first place.

Let's also not forget that at the time that air-space was swarming with Chitauri aerial chariots and flying armored kaiju serpents. I strongly doubt anyone watching radar would have paid especial attention to one more small airborne object. Besides, its flight path looked like a low-altitude cruise missile designed to fly under most radar systems.

The only people who know are the people who ordered the strike, who would logically keep quiet about it, Fury himself who's not likely to blab, the pilot of the plane the missile was launched from and Tony.

Also the air crew, the loaders, air traffic, everyone in the command module, most folks on the launch platform, anybody who wonders why Fury shot down one of their own, in public sight...etc...

Just after Ultron first manifested and attacked the team at Avengers Tower, while Tony was arguing with Cap and Thor justifying his actions in creating Ultron.

Ah, thanks. But I read Rhodey's response as being completely sarcastic.

"Anyone remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?"

"Nope. It's never come up."

"Saved New York?"

"Never heard that."

Especially accompanied by Natashsh's eye-roll, I think that was pretty clearly meant as "Oh, here he goes again, dude will NOT shut up about that damn nuke..." If that was actually the first Rhodey had heard about a nuke being fired at New York, I think his reaction would've been a tad stronger.

Point taken tho about ATC being a bit overwhelmed that day.

"Saved New York?"

"Never heard that."

Especially accompanied by Natashsh's eye-roll, I think that was pretty clearly meant as "Oh, here he goes again, dude will NOT shut up about that damn nuke..." If that was actually the first Rhodey had heard about a nuke being fired at New York, I think his reaction would've been a tad stronger.

I can see how you'd interpret Rhodes' response that way, and it seems as valid as mine. So I concede the point to you. :)

Watching this again (thanks LL for posting), it really highlights exactly the difference in approach between Tony & Steve. Tony sees the big picture*, and engineers a technological plan to solve it (alien invasion).

*Brought forward no doubt due to the downfall of SHIELD, the only other organisation shown to stop an alien invasion. Also Tony help design the Insight helicarriers for this purpose. With SHIELD's downfall that left the Avengers as sole planetary security, which means Tony's Iron Legion was an Avengers backup and civilian safety plan. 

Cap doesn't have a plan (that has been shown so far) but believe they can triumph by using teamwork. This no doubt is from his background as a soldier in WW2. Today the Avengers are his unit. 

Both approaches have merit. Neither is entirely right, nor wrong. 

"Saved New York?"

"Never heard that."

I can see how you'd interpret Rhodes' response that way, and it seems as valid as mine. So I concede the point to you. :)

Watching it again, I'd say you are both right. Rhodes is being sarcastic and stating the obvious that he has not heard of it before. SO points to both of you. 

Watching this again (thanks LL for posting), it really highlights exactly the difference in approach between Tony & Steve. Tony sees the big picture*, and engineers a technological plan to solve it (alien invasion).

*Brought forward no doubt due to the downfall of SHIELD, the only other organisation shown to stop an alien invasion. Also Tony help design the Insight helicarriers for this purpose. With SHIELD's downfall that left the Avengers as sole planetary security, which means Tony's Iron Legion was an Avengers backup and civilian safety plan. 

Cap doesn't have a plan (that has been shown so far) but believe they can triumph by using teamwork. This no doubt is from his background as a soldier in WW2. Today the Avengers are his unit. 

Well put. Tony trusts technology; Steve puts his trust in people.

Ironically, I think Steve started out trusting organizations (governments, SHIELD, etc) more than Tony, but as Tony has come to doubt himself more and more, he's more willing to give some trust to organizations. Whereas Steve has gone the other direction. As you say, neither is wholly right or wholly wrong.

I see it less, "Tony has a plan, Steve trusts in teamwork," than, "Tony is making decisions affecting the team behind their back without consulting them, and Steve is calling him on it." Tony means well, but he always believes he knows what's best more than anyone else. That same attitude exacerbated his problems with Steve and the rebel Avengers over the Sokovia Accords. It contributed to his breakup with Pepper. His ego has always been his biggest flaw.

Ironically, I think Steve started out trusting organizations (governments, SHIELD, etc) more than Tony, but as Tony has come to doubt himself more and more, he's more willing to give some trust to organizations. Whereas Steve has gone the other direction. As you say, neither is wholly right or wholly wrong.

That's really been the arc of their characters over the course of the MCU. Each has good and understandable reasons for their change in belief. The real irony is, Tony has come to believe in the necessity of being part of a team; but as I illustrated in my previous post, he still doesn't understand what being a team means.

I see it less, "Tony has a plan, Steve trusts in teamwork," than, "Tony is making decisions affecting the team behind their back without consulting them, and Steve is calling him on it." Tony means well, but he always believes he knows what's best more than anyone else. That same attitude exacerbated his problems with Steve and the rebel Avengers over the Sokovia Accords. It contributed to his breakup with Pepper. His ego has always been his biggest flaw.

That's really been the arc of their characters over the course of the MCU. Each has good and understandable reasons for their change in belief. The real irony is, Tony has come to believe in the necessity of being part of a team; but as I illustrated in my previous post, he still doesn't understand what being a team means.

YES! That's exactly what I've been trying to articulate!

Thanks for commenting guys, I appreciate your thoughts. 

Since zslane like in-continuity speculation

1) We know the Power Stone can attach to Ronan's weapon. What happens if the Power Stone is attached to Mjolnir? 

2) How did the Time Stone get into the Eye of Agamotto? Or how did Agamotto acquire the Time Stone and use it to power the Eye? Does Agamotto as an entity exist in the MCU?  

1. Was Ronan's staff built to accomodate the stone? We don't know for sure, but I think it would have to be, like Loki's staff presumably was. You can't just superglue the bugger on, after all. I think Mjolnir would have to be reforged to accomodate the stone, and that's not going to happen, so...

2. I haven't seen the Dr. Strange movie yet, but do we know if this medallion is actually called the Eye of Agamotto in the film? If so, then I think we can safely assume there is (or once was) an entity in the MCU named Agamotto.