Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure.

I really liked DD (both seasons) and JJ. Not necessarily as superhero shows, mind you. But as an action drama and a modern noir drama respectively. The storytelling in JJ was particularly impressive, in my view.

The jury is still out on LC for me because (a) I am only 3 episodes in, and (B) I am not really into the branch of American (pop) culture it draws from (which again, isn't really the comics).

I'm 4 episodes into Cage, and so far it is my favorite of the NF shows. Daredevil was good in season 1, I bailed halfway through season 2. Jessica was amazing, but so dark. Cage is dramatic and important but not dark in the same way - and for me they really nailed Cage in character, looks and physical acting.  Going to have it done by end of week.

I'm 4 episodes into Cage, and so far it is my favorite of the NF shows. Daredevil was good in season 1, I bailed halfway through season 2. Jessica was amazing, but so dark. Cage is dramatic and important but not dark in the same way - and for me they really nailed Cage in character, looks and physical acting.  Going to have it done by end of week.

While I can see why Daredevil 2 gets flack, and no-one should have to watch TV that they're not enjoying, there's something tragic about bailing on that season just before Elodie Yung's Elektra comes into her own as someone to mourn. 

Er, spoilers? Because Elektra dies in the end. 

I'm halfway through Luke Cage and really enjoying it. Honestly my only complaint has nothing to do with anything, but it annoys me that the Netflix MCU keeps presenting this 1980s picture of the inner city as crime-filled ghetto, rather than some of the most expensive over-gentrified real estate in the world. Do you have any idea what houses go for in Harlem these days? DD at least nodded in that direction by saying Hell's Kitchen had been severely impacted by "the Incident"* but that excuse doesn't really work Uptown.

None of which detracts from the story. Just bugs me a little.

* And am I the only one tired of everyone calling it that?

I really liked DD (both seasons) and JJ. Not necessarily as superhero shows, mind you. But as an action drama and a modern noir drama respectively. The storytelling in JJ was particularly impressive, in my view.

The jury is still out on LC for me because (a) I am only 3 episodes in, and ( B) I am not really into the branch of American (pop) culture it draws from (which again, isn't really the comics).

I think that's indicative of the lack of an actual "superhero genre". Supers can be WW II action, a classic heist, a political thriller, an action drama, an alien invasion, a cop show, a modern noir drama, a campy comedy or a sit com or family drama, and many other genres besides. Whether Supers are subgenres of all of those genres, or they can be made subgenres of Supers, is a fine question.

No, there is no way that particular detail is not classified.  The political fallout of such a decision would be huge, and we haven't heard a word about it in anything MCU that has come out since The Avengers.  Therefore, nobody must know about it or else they would be talking about it.

But too many people know, one of them has a habit of oversharing (Tony, sit down!) it would leak...it is too big to keep. Honestly it would end Sheild....

The only people who know are the people who ordered the strike, who would logically keep quiet about it, Fury himself who's not likely to blab, the pilot of the plane the missile was launched from and Tony.

Yeah, whether or not the World Security Council's "stupid-ass decision" is publicly known is an interesting question; I don't think we've ever heard anyone outside of SHIELD or the Avengers mention it. In the real world something that big would be near-impossible to cover up, but in the MCU (and comics in general) SHIELD has covered up far worse. Yeah Stark likes to talk, but he couldn't have lasted all those years as a defense contractor if he wasn't capable of protecting classified information.

OTOH, if it wasn't public before Natasha Widowleaked all of SHIELD's secrets onto the Internet ("...and it's trending!"), then presumably it is now. Which may help explain why no one is in any hurry to rebuild the Council or SHIELD. It does seem like the Avengers should be getting a little more credit for stopping a nuke in the middle of stopping an alien invasion than they are. But maybe the public sees that as something Stark did, rather than something the Avengers did? Tony is hugely popular on his own, and he doesn't actually have "abilities" so he's not subject to that particular skepticism.

Either way, "The Incident" clearly refers to the entire battle. In DD they talk about The Incident destroying Hell's Kitchen. In JJ, we meet a couple whose kid was killed in The Incident. In LC, street vendors are selling videos of The Incident, specifically talking about "the Dude With The Hammer," "The Green Dude" and so on.

The various tv series will make references to events in the films, but we shouldn't expect it to work the other way around. I doubt even the "epic" events of The Defenders will rate even a passing mention in any forthcoming MCU movie.

I think that's indicative of the lack of an actual "superhero genre". Supers can be WW II action, a classic heist, a political thriller, an action drama, an alien invasion, a cop show, a modern noir drama, a campy comedy or a sit com or family drama, and many other genres besides. Whether Supers are subgenres of all of those genres, or they can be made subgenres of Supers, is a fine question.

The superhero genre is unique in having assimilated elements of all those other genres, allowing it to be incredibly broad in the kind of stories it can deal with. You can find some of that range even in a single comic series.

No, there is no way that particular detail is not classified.  The political fallout of such a decision would be huge, and we haven't heard a word about it in anything MCU that has come out since The Avengers.  Therefore, nobody must know about it or else they would be talking about it.

When Tony Stark reminded the assembled Avengers of that nuke launch during Age of Ultron, Jim Rhodes said explicitly that he had never heard of it before. And he was an Air Force colonel and, as Iron Patriot, a special American government operative. So yeah, almost certainly classified.

Yeah, whether or not the World Security Council's "stupid-ass decision" is publicly known is an interesting question; I don't think we've ever heard anyone outside of SHIELD or the Avengers mention it. In the real world something that big would be near-impossible to cover up, but in the MCU (and comics in general) SHIELD has covered up far worse. Yeah Stark likes to talk, but he couldn't have lasted all those years as a defense contractor if he wasn't capable of protecting classified information.

OTOH, if it wasn't public before Natasha Widowleaked all of SHIELD's secrets onto the Internet ("...and it's trending!"), then presumably it is now. Which may help explain why no one is in any hurry to rebuild the Council or SHIELD. It does seem like the Avengers should be getting a little more credit for stopping a nuke in the middle of stopping an alien invasion than they are. But maybe the public sees that as something Stark did, rather than something the Avengers did? Tony is hugely popular on his own, and he doesn't actually have "abilities" so he's not subject to that particular skepticism.

In terms of what would need to be covered up, the Manhatten-bound nuke really wasn't a big deal. It was one missile launched from one plane that never detonated at its intended target. Now if it had gone off as planned, that would have been tougher to hide. Not impossible, though. The World Security Council would probably have just blamed the aliens.

I remember during Civil War Zemo remarked to that Russian ex-colonel that it took a lot of time and patience for him to sift through all the data Black Widow had leaked to find what he was looking for. It's not implausible for that launch (which from the Earth's point of view would have looked like a dud anyway) to not have made it to public awareness, because it's still obscured by a lot of details that probably seem more pressing.

"The Incident" is the Battle of New York aka the climax of The Avengers film. That's it. 

Luke Cage Easter Eggs, References & MCU Connections
http://screenrant.com/luke-cage-easter-eggs-references/

For instance, the very first episode mentions ‘The Incident,’ where a certain avenging team took on some aliens. A few unscrupulous New Yorkers are even trying to profit from the cataclysm, such as one fellow who sells bootleg footage of “Tony Stark, the big blonde dude with the hammer, the old dude with the shield, the green monster – and I don’t mean Fenway.” Misty Knight’s (Simone Missick) partner Rafael Scarfe (Frank Whaley) also mentions seeing “the incident up close,” and says the city does need “magic hammer” wielding heroes to stop events like those in The Avengers from tearing up the city.)

Another major nod to “The Incident” includes Tony Stark competitor Justin Hammer, whose corporation has developed a “Judas bullet” in his absence – one which seems to be made from Chitauri metals. With all these crazy new weapons, perhaps the Avengers could use a little help from the Heroes for Hire when the next “incident” occurs.