Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Marvel Is The Most Powerful Hero In The Marvel Cinematic Universe Says Feige

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/10/12/captain-marvel-is-the-strongest-hero-in-the-marvel-cinematic-uni/

*happy*

I'm not very familiar with this Captain Marvel, and I grew up with other Marvel Comics heroes at the top of the power pantheon; so I'll have to see how this is executed before I decide if I like it or not.

I have to say, though, the way Feige is describing her, I'm getting the sense that he wants her to be the MCU's version of Phoenix. Maybe they'll draw from Phoenix's comic origin story for CM, available since the cinematic X-Men's Jean Grey hasn't taken that path.

I'm not very familiar with this Captain Marvel, and I grew up with other Marvel Comics heroes at the top of the power pantheon; so I'll have to see how this is executed before I decide if I like it or not.

Me too. I first became a fan of Carol Danvers reading her entry as Binary in the Official Handbooks. It is only in the last ten years or thereabouts I've read specific issues, and have made an effort to read Kelly Sue DeConnick's run on the character.

I have to say, though, the way Feige is describing her, I'm getting the sense that he wants her to be the MCU's version of Phoenix. Maybe they'll draw from Phoenix's comic origin story for CM, available since the cinematic X-Men's Jean Grey hasn't taken that path.

Good thoughts, but I'm inclined to disagree. To me Phoenix belongs with the X-Men series, and I'm not sure the MCU has the rights to use Phoenix Force. However Carol history includes a "second origin" where her DNA was boosted by the Brood to enable her to access a "white hole" and took the name Binary as a result. I'm inclined to think that this white hole origin maybe what Feige is alluding too. I hope so -- I want to see Binary!!! 

Good thoughts, but I'm inclined to disagree. To me Phoenix belongs with the X-Men series, and I'm not sure the MCU has the rights to use Phoenix Force. However Carol history includes a "second origin" where her DNA was boosted by the Brood to enable her to access a "white hole" and took the name Binary as a result. I'm inclined to think that this white hole origin maybe what Feige is alluding too. I hope so -- I want to see Binary!!! 

I didn't mean having the actual Phoenix Force, but having power of that magnitude, with the responsibilities and temptations that go with it. Feige's remarks suggest emotional struggles for Carol Danvers in dealing with her power, that are reminiscent of Jean Grey's. Also, in the comics Grey became Phoenix after sacrificing herself to save her comrades by piloting a shuttle into the sun. That sort of classic superhero origin would be appropriate for Danvers to gain Binary-type and level of powers.

I didn't mean having the actual Phoenix Force, but having power of that magnitude, with the responsibilities and temptations that go with it. Feige's remarks suggest emotional struggles for Carol Danvers in dealing with her power, that are reminiscent of Jean Grey's. Also, in the comics Grey became Phoenix after sacrificing herself to save her comrades by piloting a shuttle into the sun. That sort of classic superhero origin would be appropriate for Danvers to gain Binary-type and level of powers.

Actually, she was flying it back to Earth. The shielding on the flight deck had failed and her TK was the only shield available.

Yeah, but while Gladiator has a similar power set to Superman, he's an alien with only intermittent interest in Earth, and has most often been used as an antagonist for Terrestrial heroes, so doesn't really fit the role of Superman analogue. And I doubt we'll see any movie involving the Fantastic Four again any time soon, after past fiascos. :(

Hyperion of the Squadron Supreme was Marvel's most explicit Superman analogue; but for that reason, unlikely to be in a movie either.

If Marvel wants to have a character in the MCU who fills a similar role to Superman, I agree their smartest tack is to make him/her fundamentally different from Superman. Hence the Captain Marvel plan. (Whether it's a smart move to have such a character at all is a different topic.)

Gladiator and Hyperion are both deliberate clones of Superman (Superboy for Gladiator), in that the Squadron Supreme was a riff on the JLA and the Imperial Guard was a riff on the Legion of Super-Heroes. Further development allowed them to diverge, but that was the original plan (Squadron intentionally so, in that JLA featured a team modeled after some Avengers of the day).

At least they were all different enough to be an homage rather than a copyright lawsuit.

As for Captain Marvel being the MCU Superman, I take that to mean "very powerful, highly moral and well liked by the general public".

If we want to use Gladiator or Hyperion for that, they probably need to have been on Earth for a while (maybe rocketed there as an infant), have a reason not to go home (maybe their planet of origin suffered some catastrophe) and have a reason to follow Earth's moral codes (like being raised by morally upright earth people). That's definitely getting into lawsuit territory...

Oh yeah?  Well...

010100110110000101101101011001010010000001110100011011110010000001111001011011110111010100100001

(I actually ran dmjalund's through a binary-to-text (ASCII) converter and was disappointed to find it doesn't actually translate to anything.  I am way too nerdy.)