Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Feige Says Avengers: Infinity War Features Illuminati Characters
http://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-illuminati-kevin-feige/

Feige:

Well, what’s fun about the Illuminati is that there are certain characters interacting with other certain characters, so I don’t know about that particular storyline, but certainly some of those characters you will see on screen in the next Avengers.[/size]

The One Thing Thor's Screenwriter Would Change About The Film

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1577439/the-one-thing-thors-screenwriter-would-change-about-the-film

Ashley Miller, who co-wrote Thor with Zack Stentz, Don Payne, J. Michael Straczynski, and Mark Protosevich...

Miller:

If there's anything that I wish we could have done differently, I would have loved to have pumped up the battle with The Destroyer. I think that there was probably more to play there, and I think it was, again, difficult to realize on screen. Because that's the moment of his real transformation.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Sequel Gears Already Spinning, Holland Hints at Next Project

http://mcuexchange.com/spider-man-homecoming-sequel-gears-already-spinning-holland-hints-at-next-project/

Tom Holland:

My next project, I can’t tell you about, but we’ve just finished ‘Spider-Man’ and we’re talking about the second one and who the villain is going to be and where we’re going.

Gotham Awards Nominations -- Nominated under the category "Breakthrough Series – Long Form"

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gotham-awards-nominations-2016-list-nominees-1201895205/

And previously...

Marvel’s “Jessica Jones” Wins Peabody Award
http://www.cbr.com/marvels-jessica-jones-wins-peabody-award/

Jessica Jones, The Martian win big at 2016 Hugo Awards

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/21/hugo-awards-winners-jessica-jones-martian

Netflix’s Marvel series Jessica Jones and Ridley Scott’s The Martian both took home top honors at this year’s Hugo Awards ceremony, which annually honors the best in science fiction. 

As announced on Saturday night, Jessica Jones took home Best Dramatic Presentation in the Short Form category for its season finale, titled “AKA Smile.” Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, Scott Reynolds, and Jamie King penned the episode, while Michael Rymer directed. 

Well deserved.  It was a well put together series and AKA Smile was definitely one of the best season finales I can recall seeing in recent years.  I wasn't into Doctor Who when Tennant was the Doctor so to me he'll probably always be Kilgrave first in my mind - but his performance in Jessica Jones made me want to go back and check out his time as the Doctor.

Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man: Will Marvel replace its biggest star?

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/10/26/robert-downey-jr-as-iron-man-will-marvel-replace-its-biggest-star

Post Infinity War that is. 

Maybe down the road, yes, or put another in the suit (in a minor role) but no way should another actor play Tony Stark in the near future.  Just phase him out if you need to do so, and there are plenty of geniuses to assume his role as 'primary tech producer'.

I had a random thought the other day while watching Luke Cage. Neither Luke nor Jessica wear costumes, and both deny being heroes. But both of them have supporting cast members urge them to become costumed crimefighters. Trish even makes a costume for Jessica. Pops (among other people IIRC) talks to Luke about he should be superheroing like it's a perfectly ordinary career choice for people with his skill set. In one of the last LC episodes, a civilian says something like "Superheroes mostly run around in spandex and help people downtown - never thought we'd have a brother in a hoodie here in the neighborhood." All of which strongly implies that "spandexed heroes with powers fighting crime and helping people" is an established thing in the MCU.

And yet, with the exception of Daredevil and I guess Spidey* now that he's in the MCU, are there any other costumed heroes fighting street-level crime in the MCU? The Avengers (both original and new lineups) operate more of an international quasi-military strike force than crimefighters. Ditto for SHIELD's supers/Inhumans, who also don't really wear costumes. Anybody else I'm missing? I don't have a problem with them subverting the norm, but they seem to want us to accept it as the norm without establishing it as such. Not a big deal, but am I missing something obvious?

* Neither of whom technically wear spandex, but I'll let that slide...

I don't have a problem with them subverting the norm, but they seem to want us to accept it as the norm without establishing it as such. Not a big deal, but am I missing something obvious?

I don't believe you are missing anything, obvious or otherwise. They do indeed want us to accept the comic-book norm (of a world full of costumed heroes) as their cinematic norm without establishing it as such (i.e., without earning it, so to speak). They are using the viewer's implicit understanding of the source material as a shortcut to doing the necessary world-building.

I took that comment completely differently.  It was merely a nod to fans and a means of emphasizing Luke's style and how he identifies with his community, not as a factual statement of actual superhero behavior and dress codes.  In fact, it seems quite normal that many communities out there could have negative opinions that foster the idea that only certain people get 'help' and that seeing colorful costumes as 'spandex' has become a humorous 'jab' gone viral.

Maybe down the road, yes, or put another in the suit (in a minor role) but no way should another actor play Tony Stark in the near future. Just phase him out if you need to do so, and there are plenty of geniuses to assume his role as 'primary tech producer'.

Yeah, agree.

I took that comment completely differently.  It was merely a nod to fans and a means of emphasizing Luke's style and how he identifies with his community, not as a factual statement of actual superhero behavior and dress codes.

I agree it was a meta-comment aimed at audience expectations, rather than in-world expectations. Which is why it felt out of place to hear someone in-world express it.

In fact, it seems quite normal that many communities out there could have negative opinions that foster the idea that only certain people get 'help' and that seeing colorful costumes as 'spandex' has become a humorous 'jab' gone viral.

The notion (perceived or actual) that some parts of town get more help than others didn't bother me.* And I'll accept "spandex" as just being shorthand for "colorful costumes." But even there, that still implies there are heroes in colorful costumes helping people in other neighborhoods. If as you say above, it wasn't meant as "a factual statement of actual superhero behavior and dress codes" then why would someone in-world draw that contrast? Just feels like they're trying to have it both ways.

* Aside from the fact that Harlem is so heavily gentrified it doesn't exactly count as The Projects anymore; but that's another aubject.

Yeah, all of us together couldn't afford rent in Hell's Kitchen these days. But in Daredevil they specifically stated Hell's Kitchen had been heavily trashed in The Battle Of New York (I refuse to call it "The Incident" - sorry Netflix), which was enough for my suspension of disbelief. But Harlem? Yeah, they're definitely stuck in a 1980s view of "the hell that is was the Inner City."

You can think of the MCU as one huge movie set. It will be dressed to accommodate the stories they want to tell, not to accommodate comparisons of accuracy with the real world. In the case of the Netflix series, it seems that the stories they want to tell require the urban neighborhoods of NYC to be stuck in time, forever trapped in their 70s/80s forms.