Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just on the theme front for one more moment: One possible knock against the end-credits "Captain America March" from The First Avenger is that it's very "period," and wouldn't work for Captain America in modern times. But Alan Silvestri did another arrangement of the theme for the intro loop on the DVD which would work perfectly today. It's also IMHO the best musical summation of who Cap is and what he stands for I've heard yet:

The first Thor movie is one of my favorites from Phase One as well, although I recognize it's flawed. What I love most is everything to do with Asgard and Jotunheim. Asgard looks absolutely magnificent, like Norse myth filtered through a sci-fi lens. While Jotunheim is its exact opposite, as dark and cold and foreboding as Asgard is shining and majestic. I was struck by how Chris Hemsworth embodies the presence and force of the title character from the moment he appears on screen. Equal props to Tom Hiddleston as Loki and Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin. The relationship between those three was vital to the success of the movie, and it really got their characters and interactions down right. The action is grand, particularly when Thor throws down -- he comes across as more the God of Thunder here than in any subsequent film.

What dragged the movie down for me was most of the stuff on Earth. New Mexico appeared so bland and dreary after the other Realms. I felt no romantic chemistry between Hemsworth and Natalie Portman; they seemed more like siblings than lovers. And the action sequences with depowered Thor, although competent in themselves, couldn't help but be a letdown following the fight in Jotunheim.

New Mexico appeared so bland and dreary after the other Realms.

I'm from New Mexico. It's like that. (Or at least parts of it are.) :)

I really enjoyed the first Thor, mainly because I was so skeptical they'd be able to pull it off without making Thor seem goofy or cheesy. Getting Branaugh to direct was an inspired choice, as Brannaugh's superpower has always been the ability to make Shakespearean dialogue sounds like normal conversation. And based on the director's commentary, he really understood the character and what to do with it. Having JMS do the initial story draft didn't hurt either.

I liked Dark World too, but it wasn't as much of a surprise to me.

One possible knock against the end-credits "Captain America March" from The First Avenger is that it's very "period," and wouldn't work for Captain America in modern times.

I'm sure that's what they thought, but it has a wonderful retro feel and is so very memorable and effective, they were fools.

Not directly related to the MCU, but...

This month's issue of the Atlantic has Hillary & Trump yelling at each other on the cover. So naturally I flipped it over...to find this ad on the back cover! Coates writes for the Atlantic, but still kinda cool

Age of the Geek, Baby, Age of the Geek!

Edit: Sorry, it looked auro-rotated before I uploaded it.

post-3716-0-67387000-1474757354_thumb.jpg