Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Now if if you don't like that the writers have dumped all this crap on Tony, ok. But I don't think we can say they haven't made his reaction to it believable.

Who's this "we" that you're talking about? You and the mouse in your pocket?

I made a simple observation. I didn't assign any value judgment to it.

EDIT: The context that I was making that observation in was in answer to the story reason for Cap not telling Tony about his parents being murdered by Hydra, way back in post 1580. I think this thread is getting too big and simple logic chains are getting lost in the side arguments. Here's what I originally said about Tony's mental state in relation to the Tony/Steve fight in CW:

2) Tony was already becoming unhinged at that point. Maybe Steve didn't want to crack the egg any further. In reality: They were probably looking for a "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" rationale that didn't make Steve look too bad, but that Tony could still take exception to.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I don't think we can say they haven't made his reaction to it believable.

I can say that without a qualm, but that's not my point.

My point isn't that nobody could possibly react like that.  Its that they took a very likable, interesting, fun character who is supposed to be noble and heroic and turned him into a psychotic lunatic attacking everything around him like a rabid dog.

I'm also not sure Tony was trying to "kill" Cap. Beat the shit out of both of them? Absolutely. Kill Bucky? Maaaaaybe. But I don't think Tony would've killed Cap even if he'd won. Sure he wasn't exactly pulling punches, but he's fighting Captain Freakin' America - no need for kid gloves there.

Cap clearly wasn't pulling any punches. He was wailing on Shellhead with everything he had, and Stark was clearly overwhelmed, not even getting an opening to hit back. But I agree neither or them was trying or intended to kill the other. Bucky, though, I'm pretty sure was going to die.

I can say that without a qualm, but that's not my point.

My point isn't that nobody could possibly react like that.  Its that they took a very likable, interesting, fun character who is supposed to be noble and heroic and turned him into a psychotic lunatic attacking everything around him like a rabid dog.

And this is clearly one of those times where we both saw the same movies, yet completely different ones. So be it. :)

All that said, I'm hopeful that Marvel intends CW to be the low point, and that future movies will be about them working their way back out of the abyss, regaining both the public's trust and each others' trust. I really enjoyed CW: but one movie was enough and I'm ready for them to go back to fighting villains.

Agreed. I think that has to be the plan - something has to give or there will be no Avengers to fight an Infinity War. Who's left?

Right now, The Avengers are Iron Man and the Vision.

Thor and Hulk are missing in action as far as the non-Asgard world is concerned.

Cap, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Falcon, Scarlet Witch - all fugitives.

War Machine is in no condition to participate (though rapid recovery is a comic staple I could live with here).

Black Panther at least isn`t known to be harbouring the fugitives, so he`s a candidate. Maybe Spider-Man if Tony can bring himself to pull him back into danger. Perhaps Dr. Strange.

Cap clearly wasn't pulling any punches. He was wailing on Shellhead with everything he had, and Stark was clearly overwhelmed, not even getting an opening to hit back. But I agree neither or them was trying or intended to kill the other. Bucky, though, I'm pretty sure was going to die.

I think that's a fair assessment. With super vs super, the lines of lethal force get a little blurry. From the dialog, it seemed like Tony was aiming to give Steve a beating. (Thinking of when he tells the armor AI to analyze Cap' style, then whatever he said to start the beat down subroutine. I can't remember the exact words, but it wasn't at the "let's kill him" level.) He did seem intent on finishing off Bucky, though.

Jeph Loeb Has a Netflix Release Schedule and He's Not Sharing It

http://mcuexchange.com/jeph-loeb-has-a-netflix-release-schedule-and-hes-not-sharing-it/

How Marvel Juggles the Development of 6 Intertwined Netflix Superhero Shows

Luke Cage debuts today as the latest addition to the lineup By Jason Lynch
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/how-marvel-juggles-development-6-intertwined-netflix-superhero-shows-173816

I want to further respond to the particular observation that I quoted above. It is a disease in Hollywood to have protagonists make decisions for (and keep secrets from) others "to protect them". This is such a profoundly flawed sentiment in real life that it kind of shocks me that writers continue to use this plot contrivance with an almost obsessive regularity in their fictive worlds.

And this is not just a problem in movies. It is a staple of television drama as well. The thing is, it doesn't really work. Any viewer past the age of a tween understands, on some level, how disrespectful and narcissistic that attitude is, and yet Hollywood insists on making characters, presumably good and heroic characters, do this again and again as if it makes any kind of sense.

Agreed 100%.

Who's this "we" that you're talking about? You and the mouse in your pocket?

I made a simple observation. I didn't assign any value judgment to it.

It meant to be a collective "we" referring to the overall discussion and arguably fandom as a whole. My apologies if my replay made it look like I was singling you out. I just seem to hear a lot of "They're not following comic tropes and I don't like it when they follow this comic book trope!"

It meant to be a collective "we" referring to the overall discussion and arguably fandom as a whole. My apologies if my replay made it look like I was singling you out. I just seem to hear a lot of "They're not following comic tropes and I don't like it when they follow this comic book trope!"

Gotcha. No pronlemo.

Looks like Luke Cage broke Netflix a bit yesterday. I contributed with five episodes worth. Good stuff so far, very good. Great casting on this one, IMO, both on major and all the supporting characters. I think Netflix Marvel is probably the best live action supers franchise going at the moment. (I count Marvel as three franchises: Netflix, AoS, and the movies, since none of them interact in any meaningful way.)

5 episodes into Luke Cage.  It started off slow for me.  Although, the last two episodes have picked up pace and been very good.  Best moment so far is, of course: 

Looking at reflection in full "Power Man" regalia, "You look like a damn fool!"

Finished Luke Cage.  Very, very good stuff.  Probably 7-8 out of 10.  Not quite as good as Jessica Jones, but close.  It really takes off about episode 4, with solid setups for the next series in the last 5 minutes of episode 13.  Netflix Marvel is really riding high right now.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Luke Cage Review

Don't let the number of negatives throw you off. The positives far outweigh the negatives on a pound per pound basis. Spoilered for those not having finished a darn good show. Final Score: 8/10. I wanted to dock some more points for some of the negatives, but the positives really do carry a lot of weight.

+ Luke Cage could be Captain America in terms of his ethics and strength of character alone. Well maybe excepting the womanizing. ;)

+ Cottonmouth was a much better foil because he was believable. There was evil within him, sure, but there was also an echo of the good man he could have been.

+ Overall a great story that was primarily a drama piece about the conflicts within the black community moreso than a superhero story.

+ Great supporting cast (with one exception). I particularly liked Pop and Cottonmouth. Pop just screamed "reformed criminal" in a very legitimate way.

+ The barbershop. My dad used to visit a barbershop that was very similar in feel to Pop's barbershop. Even had the two old guys playing chess.

+ I knew that the Black Lives Matter was going to be referenced. It was unavoidable. It was also done very sensibly, with relevance to the story.

+ The Night Nurse mentioned by comic book codename. Awesome.

+ Misty Knight's actress's maiden name is the same as my surname. Plus, hotness personified.

+ The community divided in its opinion of Luke Cage was done well. Plus, the spirit of entrepreneurialism was thriving in Harlem. :)

- Hated Diamondback. Whereas Cottonmouth, Mariah and Shades had different facets, Diamondback was only missing a mustache to twirl.

- The whole twisted biblical thing has been done to death. Couldn't Sparky have quoted Ann Landers or something?

- The final boss battle was weak. It was almost like they wrote this whole story and then remembered they were making a superhero show.

- Diamondback will likely be back later. yay.  :straight:

- I knew the white detective (Scarfe) was going to be crooked from the moment I saw him. He had to be in so many contexts, but it was still lazy.

- Shades did not have an unfortunate accident with an industrial cheese grater. :)  Still, he redeemed himself as an interesting character. Plus he put down Zip.

- While making for a longer, more interesting story, the hostess girl got killed. Bastards.

- No bionic arm origin for Misty Knight. They set it up with the bullet wound and everything. Talk about comicus geekus interruptus.

- It would have been nice to see Matt Murdock make at least a cameo appearance somewhere in there, to establish ties to the overall Defenders theme.

- The Ich Luge (sorry, 80's reference), er the Judas bullets are likely going to continue to play a part. Another lazy ass writing crutch.

Did a mysterious corporate entity have a hand in Daredevil's powers? I don't recall if they established that the truck's toxic barrels had any connection with the experiments performed on Jessica or Luke. Even if they did, the circumstances surrounding young Matt getting powers in the way that he did could not possibly have been orchestrated deliberately.

And I doubt that Danny Rand's fighting skills will come from medical experiments either, so I think the common element really only applies to Jessica and Luke.