Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree with his Ms. Marvel choice. Blade does not need a reboot, or to appear in the MCU, since then you will be adding a whole different realm of villains. I actually wouldn't mind them using Kingsley again for the Mandarin and say he was only acting the way he did. His choice for a new Mandarin would be good too though. Adam Warlock needs to be set up for Infinity War and possess the last of the gems. Nova would also be good to add in there. Since Punisher is already cast and going to appear on Daredevil (in a way that shows DD that you can go to far, I hope, as I am not a big fan of Punisher). His thoughts on Medusa are good, but I think the Actress may be a little old for the role, as we would be looking 2-3 years down the road. But Medusa doesn't have to be young, so could work. I like his idea for Black Bolt also and think Diesel would do it. Kind of an opposite of Groot, where he does voice only. Ghost Rider could be interesting, but not really needed.

Well, they could if they were willing to sacrifice a third of the box office and didn't plan on selling anything there again. But I think we know how short that thought process would be.

Shhi...don't remind me. Politics and business won out over fidelity to art.

It didn't have to go that way.  If they made the Mandarin a throwback, a guy who wanted to get rid of the current Chinese government and impose a monarchy (as implied by his name and costuming in the comics) then the Chinese government would have no problem whatsoever with him as a villain that gets beaten.  The choice wasn't about that, I suspect.  It was about trying to keep a tech theme, and I strongly, strongly suspect Iron Man 3 was a script they bought a long time ago and adapted to the Iron Man franchise.

IIRC, according to the director/writer, Shane Black, his approach to the Mandarin was in part a direct commentary on the ethnic and cultural stereotyping of radical terrorists in contemporary pop culture and media. By having the real villain of his movie cynically manipulate those stereotypes, Black pointed out their inherent superficiality, and how they obscure the other political and economic issues which have contributed to the conflicts.

It didn't have to go that way.  If they made the Mandarin a throwback, a guy who wanted to get rid of the current Chinese government and impose a monarchy (as implied by his name and costuming in the comics) then the Chinese government would have no problem whatsoever with him as a villain that gets beaten.  The choice wasn't about that, I suspect.  It was about trying to keep a tech theme, and I strongly, strongly suspect Iron Man 3 was a script they bought a long time ago and adapted to the Iron Man franchise.

That's rather true. I remember a series of panels in an older Iron Man comic where The Mandarin, in a demonstration of power, teleports young Chinese soldiers to the MOON and lets them asphyxiate to death.

The political leaders that witness this are visibly shaken, and it's clear that his methods are too extreme even for them.

IIRC, according to the director/writer, Shane Black, his approach to the Mandarin was in part a direct commentary on the ethnic and cultural stereotyping of radical terrorists in contemporary pop culture and media. By having the real villain of his movie cynically manipulate those stereotypes, Black pointed out their inherent superficiality, and how they obscure the other political and economic issues which have contributed to the conflicts.

That's a good point. 

The ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Sequel Will Be Titled ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’
http://screencrush.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-sequel-title

James Gunn:

Yes, the official title of the sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Kevin Feige recently let the title slip while doing Ant-Man press, which I'm really happy about because God knows I've let more than one thing slip accidentally while chattering away on this FB page.

Also, hats off to some intrepid fans who figured out the title a couple of days after I posted the cover page. More than one person guessed "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" - I wanted so badly to give you props at the time, but knew I had to wait.

For Kevin to mess up. Haha.

PS ANT-MAN PREMIERE TONIGHT AND I AM STOKED! 

Chris Hemsworth Reveals the 3 Marvel Movies Left on His Contract

Thor 3, Avengers 3 & 4

Thor 2 director's "wrenching" Marvel experience 

Director Alan Taylor: “The Marvel experience was particularly wrenching because I was sort of given absolute freedom while we were shooting, and then in post it turned into a different movie. So, that is something I hope never to repeat and don’t wish upon anybody else."

I had been reading up a lot on the contracts for the actors and how many each had signed for and stuff, and thought something was kind of impressive. Marvel isn't the first studio to sign actors to multiple movie contracts, but I think it says a lot about the quality of the movies they have done that not only is everyone of those contracts going to possibly expire, but that they may have to either resign (doubtful in most cases) or recast the characters. There aren't a lot of studios that have been able to do that.

I was sorry to read about the director from Thor 2 and would be curious in what way the movie became a different thing between filming and editing. http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/-thor-2-director-alan-taylor-says-working-with-mar/382338

His is not the first story we have heard about working with marvel not being great, but a big part of that, I believe, is Marvel has a plan and some of these creative people don't like the constraints.

I was sorry to read about the director from Thor 2 and would be curious in what way the movie became a different thing between filming and editing. http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/-thor-2-director-alan-taylor-says-working-with-mar/382338

His is not the first story we have heard about working with marvel not being great, but a big part of that, I believe, is Marvel has a plan and some of these creative people don't like the constraints.

How many directors of films of Marvel Studios are sill with them after one film? I can count the Russo brothers, and GotG director, and believe just about every other director has had a falling out with them. Taylor would make for I think think of off the top of my head. Exception to that, are the director of Cap 1 wasn't hired for Cap 2 because Marvel specifically hired him for a WW2 film. And IM3 director was hired for that film. 

And I posted a link ago an article on the previous page about Taylor dissatisfaction the way Thor 2 was edited. 

Joe Johnston was hired to do a WWII movie with Cap.

Shane Black was hired for IM3 because Favreau walked away after the crap Marvel put him through on IM2.

Branagh walked away after the crap from filming Thor.

Whedon has done A1 and A2. Whedon was apparently the reason that Ruffalo was hired on as Banner. Norton's rep as difficult made it so Whedon did not want to work with him.

We know Wright walked away from Ant-Man after pushing it from about the time of the first Iron Man movie.