Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Disputes between directors and studios are common in Hollywood. That doesn't necessarily mean one side or another is unusually difficult to work with. Whenever you have more than one creative, strong-minded person with a vision involved in a project, there are bound to be disagreements. And those disagreements will color their perceptions of the parties involved. (I have to note that I've yet to hear Kevin Feige say anything negative about any past Marvel directors.)

I remember that after Iron Man 3 came out, Feige revealed the studio worried over how what Shane Black wanted to do with the Mandarin would be received by the fans. They let him do it anyway.

And honestly, more than once I've read negative comments about Marvel attributed to an actor or director, which said actor or director later disavows ever having made. Some people in the industry make a business out of stirring up controversy.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very disappointed with Thor 2; they took some elements from one of the best Thor storylines of all time and went in a really weird, disappointing sci-fi direction.  If they'd just used the Cask of Ancient Winters Simonson story it would have been much more like Thor and less just some tepid sci fi film with Thor occasionally in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was very disappointed with Thor 2; they took some elements from one of the best Thor storylines of all time and went in a really weird, disappointing sci-fi direction.  If they'd just used the Cask of Ancient Winters Simonson story it would have been much more like Thor and less just some tepid sci fi film with Thor occasionally in it.

This should be the opening image of Thor 3:

pict-03.jpg

I think the problem with Civil War lies more with the execution than the concept.

Agree. It was pitched as mate versus mate when it is two different viewpoints.

Another issue with two viewpoints, to reveal your secret identity or not. FF did, Spider-Man did not. You could build a "Civil War" story around that.

No, I think its the concept, because it violates one of the basic reality suspension concepts in Comic books: Superheroes function outside the law but are allowed to without interference.  Once you cross that line it just starts to suck and all kinds of essential comic tropes are violated like secret identities and not having long drawn out court scenes as the bad guys are tried and evidence is gathered.  The point of superheroes is to bypass all that and cut straight to the justice.

Civil War makes sense in the real world, but sucks in comic books.  The entire conflict violates the principles of superheroes that make it work.

No, I think its the concept, because it violates one of the basic reality suspension concepts in Comic books: Superheroes function outside the law but are allowed to without interference.  Once you cross that line it just starts to suck and all kinds of essential comic tropes are violated like secret identities and not having long drawn out court scenes as the bad guys are tried and evidence is gathered.  The point of superheroes is to bypass all that and cut straight to the justice.

Civil War makes sense in the real world, but sucks in comic books.  The entire conflict violates the principles of superheroes that make it work.

Fair points. 

I disagree.

I actually enjoy it when superhero comics are somewhat rooted in the real world to a degree. I want to see the effects of real-world politics on superhero activity and how the presence of superheroes would have an effect on government policy. It makes sense to me.

I always found the Mutant Registration Act to be the most realistic reaction a government would have to the presence of superheroes, and always wondered why they didn't extend that to every powered human in the Marvel Universe. Then they did it, or at least, tried to do it, in Civil War. About damned time.

I honestly think a lot of people's problem with Civil War stems not from the dissection of beloved (but tired) superhero tropes, but because fans favorite heroes were battling against one another, instead of the established villains. They didn't know who to root for. Depending on their political bent, they may disagree with the stance of their favorite super. Someone who is a staunch lover of freedom and who would agree with Captain America but Iron man happens to be their favorite hero...oops. Now we have fan-based angst.

To me, that BRILLIANT. To some, it's probably really annoying. I get that. I just don't agree that it sucked.

Just saw Ant-Man my self. Hit all the notes and loved the movie. Was much lighter fare then most, but still fit well into the MCU.

Some spoiler-ed thoughts:

1) I thought, as a tie in, they should have had the guy in prison who was super tough that Scott and his friend knew be Luke.

2) Enjoyed seeing Hank interacting with Ed Stark and Peggy Carter. They also used that scene combined with later to show Hydra already infiltrating SHIELD at the highest levels.

3) LOVED the new look Falcon and his fight with Scott was awesome showing both their strengths.

4) Liked that it turned out Hank had been Ant-Man and Janet was Wasp during cold war era and was actually out there as an "agent".

5) Yellowjacket suit came out looking very very cool.

6) Stay to the END of the credits. 2nd scene after the black and white ones.

Several sources online have reproduced a press release from Marvel Studios summarizing the plot of the cinematic Civil War:

"Captain America: Civil War picks up where Avengers: Age of Ultron left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain."

The issues are significantly different, and better suited to the continuity set up in the MCU, than what was presented in the comic-book Civil War storyline. Given that, and the way both Tony Stark and Steve Rogers have been portrayed and developed in preceding movies, I suspect that they'll be on essentially the reverse sides of this conflict to what they were in the comic storyline.