Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvels villains have been the weak point in some films. I really liked Loki and I liked Ronan in GotG. I did not like the villain in IM3 (mainly because I was looking forward to the actual Mandarin showing up) and the villain in Ant man was pretty 2 dimensional.

The one I am looking forward to the most is Thanos of course. He's already had some development and with the Infinity War being two films in length, there will be tome to develop him further, so I am not really worried about him being 2 dimensional. I just hope they give him a solid motivation for wanting tondominate everything (I doubt it will be for love of Death)

Well, I actually am worried about Thanos.  He should be portrayed as brilliant and devious and elicit fear but Ronan showed no fear of him and basically walked all over him in Guardians.  I suppose, this could possibly be saved if its revealed that everything Ronan did was all part of Thanos' 'plan'.

OK. Doesn't fit anything they've actually said about their plans, but you could be right. Maybe they plan to do some higher power stuff later or are just leaving their options open.

I don't recall the Inhumans being any part of their stated plans for Agents of SHIELD prior to that show's premiere either. Nor for a whole season after that. The less concrete, longer-term components of the MCU "master plan", such as it exists, rarely make it out to the public so far in advance. I mean, the Defenders show is still years away; I imagine a lot will coalesce and a lot of crossover opportunities will be explored and exploited between now and then.

But here's what we do know. They are making a Defenders tv show for Netflix. They are making a Dr. Strange movie, which will be out before the Defenders series streams. The Hulk is already an established MCU character. The cross-marketing/cross-over opportunities must seem pretty juicy to Hollywood producers who love that kind of synergy. It all just sort of fits.

I don't recall the Inhumans being any part of their stated plans for Agents of SHIELD prior to that show's premiere either.

Right. They changed their plans. If they chose the Defenders title this early, then there's a huge difference. It means that it's a part of their plans from the get go. Personally, I think they just liked the sound of it.

The most pathetic thing is whatever studio is holding on to the rights to Namor. Never going to make the film but holding the IP for ransom from Marvel/Disney. The only decent non-Marvel Studios films about Marvel characters I've seen are the Fox X-Men films and the first two Sony Spider-man films. I really think it would be a net plus for the fans to have everything reverted back to Marvel/Disney.

Personally, I'm fine with Fox retaining the X-characters. Those titles have practically been their own continuity within the Marvel Comics universe for decades, not really meshing with the rest of the setting. But their other super-properties easily could, and IMHO should be integrated into the MCU.

Agree. Fantastic Four would make a great addition if there was a collaboration. I've been thinking about that today, but no definite idea. 

Agree. Fantastic Four would make a great addition if there was a collaboration. I've been thinking about that today, but no definite idea. 

Just watching the most recent trailer for "Fant4stic," I was thinking a Thing/Hulk fight would look awesome. Those two throwing down is a comic-book classic, and given the direction the Hulk has been taken recently in the MCU it would be easy to justify.

I wish Marvel would get the rights to Namor back too, but mostly because I like the character and I think it would give Marvel the opportunity to show how to do a water-based hero right while DC/WB inevitably faceplants with Aquaman.

I would also like to see the FF back in Marvel's hands. I didn't hate the Fox films as much as most fans did, but I am not holding out much hope for this new one. I think Marvel would know what to do with it (like maybe hand it over to Brad Bird to direct...)

re:  Fantastic Four - pure speculation here but 3 days before it comes out and there are no reviews yet.  This means the studio isn't allowing early reviews which, in turn, usually means they think its a really bad movie and don't want horrible reviews spoiling first and only money-making weekend turn-out.

I've got a bad feeling about F4's box office potential. I really think there's superhero fatigue with the audience after Ultron and Ant-Man. Plus M:I5 still has legs having just come out this past weekend. There was a trailer for it in front of M:I5, in fact, that looked pretty good, but it didn't look -different-. It feels like F4 is just a third string Avengers/X-Men.

Woo-hoo! The Fantastic Four relaunch! It's my favouritest comic book of all time, finally re-imagined the way I've always wanted it to be! As camera-friendly, sexy young people,* only not too sexy, to save money for . . . special effects or something! It's by that studio that's done such a good job of all the other Fantastic Fours! It's coming out the week after the August long weekend, when all the big summer blockbusters are often sometimes also still playing in large markets somewhere! It's only a week after the season's Adam Sandler vehicle! It has .. that guy! And that girl! And Doctor Doom. Maybe. And it's by a director who made an interesting movie once! The trailers and stuff have been all sepia, just like Sucker Punch! And speaking of trailers, there haven't been any to over-expose the product in, like, forever! Which is good! Because reasons! (And if that already wasn't enough to make you super-love the new movie ["super" is a pun! {Two layers of parenthenses, I'm so excited! No, three!}], it gave me a reason to say 'because reasons'!)

...There. See? People are excited.

*No offence to Kate Mara, who is clearly qualified to be a movie actress due to the way that she has come up from a hardscrabble, working class family of NFL team owners, and has previously played That Pretty Girl in Iron Man 2. But Jessica Alba she ain't. 

*No offence to Kate Mara, who is clearly qualified to be a movie actress due to the way that she has come up from a hardscrabble, working class family of NFL team owners, and has previously played That Pretty Girl in Iron Man 2. But Jessica Alba she ain't. 

Wait, that's an insult to both of them, right?  Cuz, wow was Alba bad in that part.  Sure, she wasn't given much of a chance with that awful plot, crappy story,  cheesy dialogue and ugly blonde hair.

P.S.:  Thought Mara did a decent job in Shooter.

Yeah I felt for Alba.  I mean, she's not real talent in terms of acting to begin with but wow that was terrible writing.  What a waste of talent.  The only one that was able to do anything at all with their role was Chris Evans as the Human Torch.  He was great in that, exactly right, and actually had some pretty good lines.  The rest?  I really like Ionn Griffyddd or whatever his welsh name is, in other stuff.  he was just awful as Mr Fantastic.