Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kang isn't very interesting as a villain unless he has the power to mess with the past, and thus alter the present "reality" as viewers understand it. If he is just a far-future dude with immense physical power trying to take down the Avengers (so they can't take him down millenia from now), he's really just another boss fight. But screwing with timelines is the very plot device that nobody in Hollywood gets right. They are better off just avoiding it altogether IMO.

I can't see that it is going to matter. After Civil War there is no real need for the Avengers to show up in any other film. For Phase Three the films are:

• Captain America: Civil War
  • Doctor Strange
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  • Untitled Spider-Man film
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1
  • Black Panther
  • Captain Marvel
  • Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2
  • Inhumans

After Civil War the films are all "solo" self-contained films. CapAm 3 seems to fulfil the role that CapAm 2 had, to be the "major events on Earth" film. 

And looking at Black Panther and Captain Marvel; I'm guessing they will have to have some connections/interactions between the two Infinity War films as well as serving as solo films. 

Inhumans looks to be the fallout of the Infinity War, similar it seems, to the Inhumanity event series in the comics. 

I think Marvel is having so much success with their films so far, they're a bit challenged on what to do next to keep the momentum going.  Secret Wars?  Fall of the Mutants?  Seriously, they're probably dusting off all the big crossover events they've done in the past (like Civil War) to set them up for movie arcs.  It seems to be working so far.  It about killed comic books in the 90s.  The one huge opportunity they screwed up was the Thor story arc with the cask of winters and Malekith, one of the best ever.

Unless, production-wise, Infinity War is one movie, just cut in two.

Which seems to be the trend, lately.

Already is the case, sort-of. Both are being films and produced concurrently. Whether they are the same film cut in two, I'm not so sure of to make a definite comment. 

• 2 weeks later...

GUNN DISCUSSES POSSIBILITY OF KANG BATTLING THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/gunn-discusses-possibility-of-kang-battling-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy

Gunn replied, "Shi'ar and Kang are both owned by Fox. All decisions about who is in GotG2 were made a long time ago."

That dashes those hopes. 

Dang. How'd Fox get Kang? He's more an Avengers villain than any property they own.

Kang first appeared in the FF as Rama Tut. Apparently any character who first appeared in the FF is licensed to Fox(ditto for most mutants and the word "mutant" itself).

It's a bummer, yes. That leaves only the Masters of Evil and Korvac on my villain wish list. Oh well, I just thought of a great replacement--Grandmaster. They've already introduced the Collector, and they could even tease the closest thing we'll likely ever see to Avengers/JLA by having Grandmaster pit the Squadron Sinister against them. (Cue the lawsuits!)

• 4 weeks later...

The upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse film isn't going to follow the "Age of Apocalypse" comic storyline closely, if at all. Besides which, there are a lot of non X-Men characters in AoA that won't make an appearance thanks to the stupid Marvel/Fox real life "Civil War".