Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I'm not sure we're disagreeing about anything here. But I have to say that simply having a plan at all put Marvel light years ahead of DC/WB. Even if it was a gamble with no guarantees of seeing fruition, the fact that movies were being made, and elements thrown in, just in case the gamble paid off says a lot about how forward-thinking Marvel has been right from the beginning. Again, compared to the utter lack of creative vision demonstrated by DC/WB during the same time period, I'd say Marvel's "plan" (put air quotes around that word if you must) was freaking genius.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvels villains have been the weak point in some films. I really liked Loki and I liked Ronan in GotG. I did not like the villain in IM3 (mainly because I was looking forward to the actual Mandarin showing up) and the villain in Ant man was pretty 2 dimensional.

The one I am looking forward to the most is Thanos of course. He's already had some development and with the Infinity War being two films in length, there will be tome to develop him further, so I am not really worried about him being 2 dimensional. I just hope they give him a solid motivation for wanting tondominate everything (I doubt it will be for love of Death)

Marvels villains have been the weak point in some films. I really liked Loki and I liked Ronan in GotG. I did not like the villain in IM3 (mainly because I was looking forward to the actual Mandarin showing up) and the villain in Ant man was pretty 2 dimensional.

The one I am looking forward to the most is Thanos of course. He's already had some development and with the Infinity War being two films in length, there will be tome to develop him further, so I am not really worried about him being 2 dimensional. I just hope they give him a solid motivation for wanting tondominate everything (I doubt it will be for love of Death)

Like you i look forward to a dimensional character of Thanos, 

Cinematic Ultron has been a polarizing villain for a lot of people. Some fans really wanted a cold, menacing, "robotic" Ultron more reminiscent of the comics. Despite that being a type of villain we've seen literally thousands of times before... and complained about in other Marvel movies. I'm one of those who likes the sarcastic, arrogant, childish Ultron from the movie. It's a fresh take that interested and entertained me more.

Yeah he worked fine for me.  What made Ultron great was never his personality, only his origin and goals.  Thanos' love for death was pretty well winked at in the first Avengers end credits scene, I think they'll be keeping that around.  Its so interesting and unique.

Marvel has always had great villains though, from Doc Ock to Dr Doom, Magneto, Galactus, etc.  DC is starting to catch up but for decades all they really had was the Joker.

IMHO DC has a lot of great villainous characters. Where they've long lagged behind Marvel is in their roster of world-threatening "master villains." DC has a relative handful of those, and keep reusing them over and over. Marvel has dozens, all with their own unique styles and motivations.

High-powered mutants don't fit into the epsionage milieu of a SHIELD tv show, and yet they are using Agents of SHIELD to introduce us to the Inhumans, some of whom are extraordinarily powerful. Using a Defenders show to link up with some of the more interesting tangents of the MCU--even if only in the form of occasional cameos and side references--feels entirely within the Netflix charter to me.