Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

But what I hear repeatedly from black people in North America is that they welcome seeing more of their own depicted in media as strong, successful, and positive role models. I may have completely missed the mark, but rather than weep I would suspect Dr. King would be delighted to see a formerly-white character depicted as black and have that be completely socially acceptable.

I think it's an improvement just because it makes the team seem more realistic. You have to understand that living where I do, when I see a group of people on screen and they're uniformly white and mostly male, it just looks weird.

I for one am not the least bit offended by Johnny being black, but I feel they should have made Sue black as well. Cuz, y'know. Consistency.

I think I'd rather have seen Reed be black, though. It sends the message that non-white people can be brainy nerds, too.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was concerned about Johnny Storm being black in the upcoming FF movie, while Susan is white, purely because I was afraid it was destroying the family dynamic that's a core element of the comic. But they're clearly described as the children of Professor Storm, who's also black, so Sue is most likely adopted. That's a very common situation today, so I have no problem with it.

yes, the fact that they are still siblings is encouraging.  However I would rather they not change the characters look so drastically.  In any case, all the previews I have seen make the movie look like a rental at best and that's when there's nothing else to watch, so I think the race issue is the least of the problems this movie might have.

TOP 10 VILLAINS WE WANT TO SEE IN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

The list and my comments beside them

Taskmaster - Yep
The Hood - Ambivalent 
Super Skrull - Yep
Venom / Carnage - Please no
Kang The Conqueror - Definitely 
The Sinister Six - Ambivalent
Masters of Evil - Neutral
Enchantress - Definitely
Thunderbolts - No
Red Hulk - Please no

I’m neutral on Masters of Evil because I recognise the importance of the group to Avengers, I don’t particularly like any of the group mentioned (Fixer, Beetle, Screaming Mini, Goliath, Moonstone).

5 PARTS OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE PRACTICALLY BEGGING TO BE TV SHOWS

More details about each show i.e. expanded concept and how it would fit into the MCU in the link. 

Stark Industries
Elevator Pitch: “The Office” plus “The IT Crowd” only with more explosions.

Nova Corps
Elevator Pitch: “Star Trek” with a dash of “Cops.”

The Runaways
Elevator Pitch: “My So-Called Life” meets “Kill Bill.” 

Nine Realms
Elevator Pitch: “Xena: The Warrior Princess” in space.

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law 
Elevator Pitch: “Boston Legal” meets “Ally McBeal” with superheroes.

I’d favour Nova Corps and Nine Realms but would also be happy with She-Hulk: Attorney At Law. I reckon The Runaways would be better on Netflix along with Daredevil etc.  

TOP 10 VILLAINS WE WANT TO SEE IN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

The list and my comments beside them

Taskmaster - Yep
The Hood - Ambivalent 
Super Skrull - Yep
Venom / Carnage - Please no
Kang The Conqueror - Definitely 
The Sinister Six - Ambivalent
Masters of Evil - Neutral
Enchantress - Definitely
Thunderbolts - No
Red Hulk - Please no

I’m neutral on Masters of Evil because I recognise the importance of the group to Avengers, I don’t particularly like any of the group mentioned (Fixer, Beetle, Screaming Mini, Goliath, Moonstone).

I'm okay with everybody on that list except for the Hood and Red Hulk.

Hmm... who do we have left running around the MCU so far who could be part of a Masters of Evil?

Loki... perhaps a little overused at this point.

Abomination... still in storage with Gen. Ross last I heard.

Red Skull... unaccounted for.

Winter Soldier... probably going to turn heroic, but who knows?

Crossbones... Brock Rumlow is still alive.

Leader... seed planted for him in The Incredible Hulk.

IMO Marvel needs to leave a few more villains alive before they could set up the MoE properly.

Here is a little bit about what could be going on / being set up in the next Thor movie. I have spoilered the youtube link because even the title of the video has a spoiler. If you do not already know about the spoiler Marvel Comics released about (female) Thor and do not want to know, then do NOT click on the spoiler. If you do already know or don't give a hoot about (female) Thor, then feel free. 

La Rose. 

Last I heard that actor has zero intention of returning.

If you mean Natalie Portman, she's probably contracted through the third Thor film. After that, yeah, I get the impression she doesn't want to continue. OTOH...

My guess is we'll be seeing the Red Skull showing up in the Avengers 3 two-parter.

Hugo Weaving is on record as saying he has no desire to revisit the Red Skull. If the character does appear he'll probably be recast.

But the last we saw of Johann Schmidt, he was being pulled into a cosmic abyss. And we know whose lap Loki landed in when that happened to him. So, maybe.

Hmm... who do we have left running around the MCU so far who could be part of a Masters of Evil?

Loki... perhaps a little overused at this point.

Abomination... still in storage with Gen. Ross last I heard.

Red Skull... unaccounted for.

Winter Soldier... probably going to turn heroic, but who knows?

Crossbones... Brock Rumlow is still alive.

Leader... seed planted for him in The Incredible Hulk.

IMO Marvel needs to leave a few more villains alive before they could set up the MoE properly.

Don't forget Klaw, totally part of age of Ultron as a minor character. :)

If he appears again at all, Klaw will probably end up in the Black Panther film.

Fully expected, he had the whole "Branded as a Vibranium thief" thing, then got his arm cut off. :bounce:

Sooo expecting him to pop up someplace...maybe the new Avenger team will battle him? (and Black Panther teams up or joins?)