[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

I vote eliminated. No Knocks are a disaster waiting to happen regardless of any supposed "accountability," and that much assumes they actually make sure they're raiding the right house; most of these numbskulls can't even be bothered with that.

Well, my idea of accountability is . . . rather extreme. Abolition is more likely.

Well, my idea of accountability is . . . rather extreme. Abolition is more likely.

seems to me that they are like wiretaps.  Originally for very limited cases, now used routinely.    

Like the guy up thread where they got a no knock warrant for a WELFARE CHECK!   though I do wonder if there was more going on.   My initial thought was that the cop(s) had a personal beef with him...

Given that some officers seem to consider asking you what they're being charged with to be 'resisting', I am not thrilled to hear of this

If the law enforcement agencies in this country were trying to kill what little good will there was left between them and the public...well congratulations, mission f@$%ing accomplished!

Oh, for a lot of folks the idea of making 'resisting an arrest' a felony will slide by just fine. That's because they mistakenly believe resisting arrest means some 6foot plus behemoth of a man with tattoos or gang markings threw a punch at a cop when the cuffs were applied. They don't know that the same label can be applied to someone, just like them, asking the police to please clarify charges, or pointing out that they're merely engaged in 1st Amendment activity. The average joe doesn't know that 'resisting arrest' ranks up in the top 5 for 'trumped up charges'.

A lot of folks will believe the police in real life are just like the ones on most of the prime time tv shows. White hat vs black hat, good vs evil, that's just how we like it: Thought invites complexity, and that means more thought is required. So many want to keep it simple, even if simple isn't true.

I believe there's at least one country where a citizen isn't charged (or charged nearly as aggressively) merely for resisting arrest. Huh. I wish I knew what it was off-hand.

Oh, for a lot of folks the idea of making 'resisting an arrest' a felony will slide by just fine. That's because they mistakenly believe resisting arrest means some 6foot plus behemoth of a man with tattoos or gang markings threw a punch at a cop when the cuffs were applied.

You just captured the average citizen's "it wouldn't happen to me" mentality in a nutshell.

More and more reasons for me to NOT be interested in ever visiting the Big Apple.   My wife hates crowds anyway, so probably not ever gonna happen, but...   Yeesh.   

A former co-worker was a longtime friend of the Marshal who admitted to him they lied their asses off to get the FBI HRT involved in the Ruby Ridge incident.   The former Co-worker, a retired state trooper, felt the destruction of the liars career was more punishment than he deserved.    He should have been in federal prison, in general population.   His lies got two people, one a KID, killed. 

edit: given this background, the involvement of the Marshal's service does not, sadly, surprise me. 

Oh, for a lot of folks the idea of making 'resisting an arrest' a felony will slide by just fine. That's because they mistakenly believe resisting arrest means some 6foot plus behemoth of a man with tattoos or gang markings threw a punch at a cop when the cuffs were applied. They don't know that the same label can be applied to someone, just like them, asking the police to please clarify charges, or pointing out that they're merely engaged in 1st Amendment activity. The average joe doesn't know that 'resisting arrest' ranks up in the top 5 for 'trumped up charges'.

A lot of folks will believe the police in real life are just like the ones on most of the prime time tv shows. White hat vs black hat, good vs evil, that's just how we like it: Thought invites complexity, and that means more thought is required. So many want to keep it simple, even if simple isn't true.

Frankly, I'm shocked that people that dumb don't drown in the shower or die in ball polisher accidents at the bowling alley.

More and more reasons for me to NOT be interested in ever visiting the Big Apple.   My wife hates crowds anyway, so probably not ever gonna happen, but...   Yeesh.   

About the only thing I remember from my one-and-only visit to the Big Apple (spring 1997) is a really good BBQ joint named Virgils. That and the tour guide lecturing us on how easy it was to pick pockets, even those you think are unpickable.

I've been to NYC once, when I was 6, staying in a hotel before boarding the troopship that took us to Germany in December 1962. Not sure I need to go there again.

Nobody needs to go to NYC, but it does have:

Forbidden Planet Comics

The Compleat Strategist tabletop game store(unbeatable selection)

Brooklyn Superhero Supply

The Strand used book store

and tons of niche retail establishments, along with a bunch of awesome restaurants. :thumbsup:

What, no one's posted about the Pasco shooting yet?  I know it's hard to keep up with the pace of police violence here, but let's get with it, people.

Warning: Snuff video in article.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/02/pasco-washington-police-shooting-rock-throw-youtube-video/

Rocks can be deadly, but after watching that I just have to say those police were a bunch of *******, and that looked completely unnecessary. They skipped quite a few levels of force there.