[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

I studied debate for only a very short time: the only qualified teacher for that course of study left the school immediately after his wife suffered a stroke, and no suitable replacement was available, so well got to pick new electives.  At any rate, I can't recall what it is, exactly-- I may not have even learned it before the course quit, but I know that there is a specific name for that exact fallacy.

16 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Keeping someone away from a position of authority that is grossly prone to abuse is of course comparable to keeping someone in prison indefinitely...

First, I did not say "kept in prison indefinitely", I said "unemployable".

Second, I asked which crimes were similarly unforgivable, and did not suggest that all crimes are unforgivable. But I am not the one(s) suggesting that his actions were unforgivable either.

Finally, if we are addressing degrees of guilt, isn't a stupid choice of a hallowe'en costume decades ago pretty low?  More a misdemeanor than a felony; perhaps just a traffic violation?

If he had dressed up as Hannibal Lecter instead, would you be suggesting we keep him away from people under medical care, as we would not want to risk him deciding to have a snack?

On 9/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I studied debate for only a very short time: the only qualified teacher for that course of study left the school immediately after his wife suffered a stroke, and no suitable replacement was available, so well got to pick new electives.  At any rate, I can't recall what it is, exactly-- I may not have even learned it before the course quit, but I know that there is a specific name for that exact fallacy.

The old (1970s or before) Propaganda game had a pretty good list of deception techniques, which are tricks intended to lure others into committing a fallacy.  Propaganda Game has a pop-up page of those.  You can buy the hard copy game from here.

What happens as a result? Schools are turned into prisons. At some of these institutions of education, there are guards (many of whom are armed with firearms), dogs, security fences, metal detectors, cameras, doors that are locked on a timer/schedule, regularly patrolled bathrooms, random locker inspections, mandated identification cards, et cetera. How do you think all of these practices - collectively - affect an individual's mind (i.e., a child) during their formative years?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...