[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Saw this, and I just had to shake my head at how tone deaf it seemed.  What about telling them to be careful about keeping their hands empty and in full view with no sudden movements so you don't just shoot them, officer? should we tell them that?

I'm sorry, but a parents responsibility is to protect his or her child, not the feelings of what may or may not be a decent law enforcement officer. So increasingly, at least in some cities, and particularly if I were a minority, I'm pretty sure I WOULD be warning my theoretical kids about police interaction.

I might not word it as harshly as I would to an adult "They can kill you when you've done nothing and walk away scot-free in our current system" would probably be too harsh (if true), but the "Keep your hands empty, in full view, and make no sudden movements"? Definitely

I remember seeing that video before. It spooked me a little because, near as I could tell, it was dead on, and it really shouldn't be that way.

I imagine the information within is only more pertinent in the present (2015).

There are even retired police officers (detectives, no less!) that give advice along the same lines.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound I guess:

Off Duty Boston Cop Assaults Uber driver and then steals his car. Oh, and when he is tracked down, he proceeds to assault the Uber driver again. Because, ya know, it takes a couple beatings before people learn to respect 'authoritah!'

On the good side, though, this jerk has been arrested. On the bad side, I am willing to bet he will only be asked to refrain from publicly beating other people in the future. I mean, we wouldn't want him to stop beating people, just do it when there is plausible deniability like all the other 'good' cops do. 

La Rose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was that a no knock warrant? Was it on the wrong address? The Young Derps don't say in the first two or three minutes and I can't get through the rest of it.

No knock warrants either need serious accountability or to be completely eliminated in any case.

I'm almost positive it was a no-knock warrant.  The guy they were going after was wanted for murder, for shooting and killing a teen two days before.  I know it was technically the wrong address -- it's a two-story house split into two separate apartments, with two separate exterior doors at opposite ends of the front porch - one door leading upstairs to the flat they were raiding, and the other opening into the ground floor where the girl was shot and killed.  The officers went in both doors during the raid.

What gets me about this is that they were filming the raid for a reality show (A&E's "The First 48").  A Special Response Team (basically SWAT) conducted the raid, using flashbangs and SMGs.  Unfortunately, the TV show cameras were outside and didn't get the shooting on film, so it comes down to he-said, she-said -- the officer (Joseph Weekley) said the girl's grandmother jumped up and smacked his gun, causing him to pull the trigger and shoot the girl.  The grandmother says she was on the floor when the gun went off.

Weekley is no green cop.  During the first trial, he said he's served 300 warrants during his seven years on the SRT at the time of the shooting, and has been first man through the door for about 100 of those.  So this is somebody quite experienced.  And has appeared multiple times on "The First 48."

The cynical side of me is wondering whether the raid being filmed had an effect on the mindset and conduct of officers conducting the raid.  Something like, "Gotta make this look good - it's gonna be on national TV." 

I don't know if this falls here, or in other news, but kernersville police had to give back 20k in illegally seized money according to yesterday's Journal. A couple of things stood out to me, but the major one was the judge who signed the order to give back the money asked the lead officer if he had probable cause to seize the money, and they didn't according to the officer. They just did.

CES

TV cameras have no business in being at a police raid! This whole "reality" show bullshit has to go since it has nothing to do with getting the public involved or controlling the conduct of law-enforcement officers but everything with ratings and vouyerism and officers who are openly or matter-of-factly encouraged to "show" the audience how tough the job is and how they show the criminals the power of the law.

In each instance good law-enforcement goes out of the window! Disgusting! And an invasion of the privacy of citizens who are at least to be given the doubt if they are perps or not before their faces are on every screen in the nation.

One of "New York's Finest" (sarcasm quotes) broke up a snowball fight at gunpoint. Yes, you heard me right. a cop pulled his gun on teens having a f@#$ing snowball fight. Really? Gee, back when I was demonling me and my friends got in a lot of snowball fights during the winter, who knew we were such a menace to society... :rolleyes:

One of "New York's Finest" (sarcasm quotes) broke up a snowball fight at gunpoint. Yes, you heard me right. a cop pulled his gun on teens having a f@#$ing snowball fight. Really? Gee, back when I was demonling me and my friends got in a lot of snowball fights during the winter, who knew we were such a menace to society... :rolleyes:

From the epicTimes

video that seems to catch a police officer pointing a gun at teenagers who  having a snowball fight is a very different situation than it appears, say the cops. According to police, officers in New Rochelle, New York  responded to a 911 call saying a teenager had pulled a gun from his waistband and pointed it at someone. When the cops arrived one of the individuals adjusted something in his waistband and took off. That’s where the video begins, say police.

And a decade, maybe a decade and a half ago, I would have automatically believed the police. Now, not so much. I want evidence of the 911 call in question and more. Otherwise, the cop's word is no more good than the teenager's to me. Yeah, I've gotten to where I'll believe 'A' policeman if I know him, just like I might anyone I know. Other than that, no. I won't automatically think he's lying either, but  my trust in the police as a title is gone.

No knock warrants either need serious accountability or to be completely eliminated in any case.

I vote eliminated. No Knocks are a disaster waiting to happen regardless of any supposed "accountability," and that much assumes they actually make sure they're raiding the right house; most of these numbskulls can't even be bothered with that.

And a decade, maybe a decade and a half ago, I would have automatically believed the police. Now, not so much. I want evidence of the 911 call in question and more. Otherwise, the cop's word is no more good than the teenager's to me. Yeah, I've gotten to where I'll believe 'A' policeman if I know him, just like I might anyone I know. Other than that, no. I won't automatically think he's lying either, but  my trust in the police as a title is gone.

Did you folks hear that sound? It was a rather distinct whoosh.

Correct: the genie has been let out of the bottle. There's no telling if we'll ever manage to wrangle it back inside.