Supergirl

Greywind

They could have but a lot of the popularity of these shows is based on the fact that they have a pretty large non-comic reading viewer base.

WHile  'evil doppelganger'  is an old enough cliche that everyone gets it setting up the Crime Syndicate in any form requires time.

Nazi (and aliens last crossover) don't.  Superheroes punching Nazis is as time honored and American as... superheroes punching Nazis.

As someone who doesn't normally have much use for most big comics crossovers, I have to say I've really enjoyed the CW's crossovers to date. Plot holes notwithstanding (I've come to just accept that as a natural part of the Arrowverse), they do a good job of bringing what each show does best. Most characters get at least One Cool Moment, in most cases doing something new & cool. And unlike too many comic crossovers, they actually manage to ground the Big Spectacle emotionally, while also managing to advance the poltlines of each show rather than just putting them all on hold while everybody punches everybody for a couple issues/hours. Granted, that's gotta be much easier to do when you "only" have 4 series to tie together and the writing teams are as closely integrated as the CW's. But still, not bad.

I had a few spoilerey thoughts, but I can't figure out how to do spoiler text with the new system??

Thanks Bazza! (Seems obvious when you put it like that...)

The thing that really made the crossover work for me was that the villains motives were personal (ie Ollie-X trying to save his wife's life) in addition to Evil Nazis Invading Because They're Evil.

The first fight with everyone in wedding clothes was IMO one of the best the CW has done to date; clearly choreographed, beautiful, and just a joy to watch.

I loved the Alex/Sara hookup because 1) it made total sense given where both characters are in their own arcs, 2) it highlighted how similar and how different those two characters are, 3) they treated it as its own ongoing subplot, rather than just a moment of fan service, and 4) let's face it the actresses were awesome together. But even without all of that, it still would've been worth it just for Kara's adorable realization moment, and Mick's "You hit that?"

I'm in favor of any excuse to bring back Leonard Snart. And making Snart-X gay actually worked well IMO.

I thought Martin's death was played well and they earned the pathos. But I wish they could've found a way to make his sacrifice come from something other than Killed By Idiot Ball. ("We should split up." "Good idea, we're far more vulnerable that way.")

I do wish they'd given Heat Wave & Killer Frost a couple more scenes fighting together, but what we did get was fun.

Pro Tip: while it's cute in a TV show, interrupting someone else's wedding to say "Wait, I want to get married TOO!" is kindof a dick move in the real world.

I think these stories work best when there is a strong emotional foundation as well. However, I think the most recent crossover strayed way past drama and far too deep into melodrama with the whole Martin/Jacks thing. It was positively maudlin, and it reached a point of excess where my eyes hurt from all the rolling they were doing.

I'm also getting tired of Alex's grief over leaving Maggie. Yes, in real life that sort of thing would send any ordinary woman into a tailspin of wallow, but this isn't real life it is a superhero tv show, and Alex isn't no ordinary woman, she's a tough, kick-ass DEO agent. And while she's still human, yes, I think the show needs to let her move on gracefully, and not let it be the dominant feature of her character every episode. The same goes for Kara with Mon-El, but of course the show had to intefere with her moving on by bringing him back (and married no less). It's as if without Cat Grant around to call everyone out on their narcissistic navel-gazing, the show has (partially) turned into a daytime soap.

7 hours ago, bigdamnhero said:

Thanks Bazza! (Seems obvious when you put it like that...)

Reveal hidden contents

The thing that really made the crossover work for me was that the villains motives were personal (ie Ollie-X trying to save his wife's life) in addition to Evil Nazis Invading Because They're Evil.

The first fight with everyone in wedding clothes was IMO one of the best the CW has done to date; clearly choreographed, beautiful, and just a joy to watch.

I loved the Alex/Sara hookup because 1) it made total sense given where both characters are in their own arcs, 2) it highlighted how similar and how different those two characters are, 3) they treated it as its own ongoing subplot, rather than just a moment of fan service, and 4) let's face it the actresses were awesome together. But even without all of that, it still would've been worth it just for Kara's adorable realization moment, and Mick's "You hit that?"

I'm in favor of any excuse to bring back Leonard Snart. And making Snart-X gay actually worked well IMO.

I thought Martin's death was played well and they earned the pathos. But I wish they could've found a way to make his sacrifice come from something other than Killed By Idiot Ball. ("We should split up." "Good idea, we're far more vulnerable that way.")

I do wish they'd given Heat Wave & Killer Frost a couple more scenes fighting together, but what we did get was fun.

Pro Tip: while it's cute in a TV show, interrupting someone else's wedding to say "Wait, I want to get married TOO!" is kindof a dick move in the real world.

Yes.

:D 

Wow, I figured they’d blown the budget on the big crossover, and assumed this week would be heavy on drama but light on CGI. They definitely surprised me. Looking forward to seeing the Legion suit up after the hiatus!

Informal poll. Which was funnier?  J’onn’s Hall & Oates love, or his Dad’s “This brown liquid is far superior!”

13 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Kara's face every time she looks at Mon El's new super hot wife. :D

I haven't watched the latest episode and this still wins. 

What do you win? You win Kara for the day. You just have to tell your wife. ;):D But look on the bight side zslane is jealous. :D:D 

One thing that made no sense to me was how Coville knew the lore behind Reign after researching Kryptonian culture for "months" (his words) using only those resources available on Earth, whereas Hologram Alura Zor-El knew virtually nothing despite having access to the complete historical and cultural corpus of dozens of alien worlds (including her own). That was just plain dumb.

7 minutes ago, zslane said:

One thing that made no sense to me was how Coville knew the lore behind Reign after researching Kryptonian culture for "months" (his words) using only those resources available on Earth, whereas Hologram Alura Zor-El knew virtually nothing despite having access to the complete historical and cultural corpus of dozens of alien worlds (including her own). That was just plain dumb.

That's what Secret Societies are for.

That notion isn't really supported by anything shown so far. Reign isn't depcited as having magical powers, merely Kryptonian powers. Moreover, she and Coville have never met. Besides, regaling Kara with lore that Kara would regard as ancient religious nonsense serves no strategic purpose I can think of other than, perhaps, to make Kara underestimate her (which seems like way too subtle a move for Reign, who only seems to work within the paradigm of overwhelming brute force).

5 hours ago, zslane said:

I am quite sure the hologram knows. But is only saying what it thinks it should. 

4 hours ago, zslane said:

Doubtful. That strikes me as a potentially lethal omission, and I doubt Holo-Alura would be programmed take that risk. She is, after all, just supposed to be a glorified information kiosk.

Fair enough, but you could have said the same thing about Myriad, which she refused to divulge.