Supergirl

Greywind

Cross posted to other Arrowverse threads.

The CW needs to fight superhero fatigue: The blueprint for 2017-18

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/the-cw-needs-to-fight-superhero-fatigue-the-blueprint-for-2017-18/

Bottom line: Supergirl is steady, but other Arrowverse shows are down in ratings, Legends 20%, Flash 21%, & Arrow 31%. 

CW has 10 hours per week, 40% total to the 4 Arrowverse shows. 

Click the link for info on other shows.

The generally crap writing across the board and things like the Supergirl actress' main squeeze becoming the focus of her show (I correctly guessed the actors were banging in real life based on the spotlight the guy's useless bland character was getting) certainly aren't helping. However, I pledge to watch every episode that has Jesse L. Martin and Victor Garber singing a duet!

It sure seems like it was their plan all along to shove those two together. Not that any of the other guys on the show had any chemistry with her either, but at least Mon-El has superpowers and she doesn't have to worry about keeping him out of harm's way all the time.

I don't have any issue with Mon-El or the actor, aside from being profoundly envious that he gets to go home with Melissa every night and...well, you know.

I enjoyed the latest episode of Supergirl but there were a few things I didn't love about it:

1. No Alex. Episodes are just better with Alex in them.

2. Winn's girlfriend. She's damn annoying. It's not the actress's fault; it's the way she's written as a character that I don't like.

3. The nanobots made no sense. I mean, I get the concept behind nanobots, but these things defied all logic in too many ways.

It sure seems like it was their plan all along to shove those two together. Not that any of the other guys on the show had any chemistry with her either, but at least Mon-El has superpowers and she doesn't have to worry about keeping him out of harm's way all the time.

I don't have any issue with Mon-El or the actor, aside from being profoundly envious that he gets to go home with Melissa every night and...well, you know.

I've bolded the core of the problem.  Kara has more chemistry with Lena than with any of the male characters.

I've bolded the core of the problem.  Kara has more chemistry with Lena than with any of the male characters.

And lots of chemistry with Cat. There's a reason the internet is awash in Kara/Cat and Kara/Lena fanfic.

On another topic, I really enjoyed Kara getting blown up in the whistleblower's car...only to rise slowly into the air from the flaming wreckage and then land, her clothing on fire and partially burned away, but completely unhurt and very annoyed. It's about time they remembered that she's SUPERGIRL. This is about the level of trouble most villains should give her. They can harm other people, whom she must try to protect; they can mislead, misdirect, feint toward goal A while really going for goal B, but most of them shouldn't be able to hurt her at all.

The Luke Cage Netflix show did this better than Supergirl does, and he's nowhere near as powerful as she is. But word got around that Luke Cage is bulletproof and superstrong. So what happens when he shows up at a crime scene? Most of the bad guys just run away. They *know* they can't hurt him. Shooting at him only makes him angry ("I'm about tired of buying new clothes.") and is pointless, so they flee. Or surrender. I'd like to see more of that on Supergirl. Not always. There can be bad guys (and gals) who can challenge her sometimes, but most bad guys? No.

The flipside, though, is that the bad guys in Luke Cage immediately set out to *find* a way to kill him.

That type of 'unstoppable except vs x' atttude was part of the reason that everyone and their dog  (literally) had access to Kryptonite in Smallville.  Need him to be beat up by a middle aged coach? Kryptonite amulet.  An assassin hunting metas? Kryptonite bullet.

Yes, that's true--Kryptonite was *everywhere* on Smallville. And that's because the writers of Smallville had the same mindset as the writers of Supergirl. They're SUPER. Most villains *shouldn't* be a real physical threat. Give them powers that make them a challenge without having every bad guy capable of a one-on-one punchout with Clark/Kara. Livewire was a good start; the hard part of catching her was, well, catching her. Being able to vanish into the nearest electrical outlet and move undetectably through the grid is gonna make it hard for even Kara to catch you. Mind control is good. Invisibility. Intangibility. Shapeshifting. (If I can instantly vanish into a crowd of bystanders, being able to punch me out with your little finger doesn't help until/unless you can find me.)

There are ways to challenge our heroine without making every jumped up thug a tough fight.

The team training sequence from the four-part CW super-show crossover remains one of my favorite images from their series: all the B-list heroes throwing their heaviest shots at Supergirl, while she just floats there grinning as their shots bounce off her.

Mind you, that also highlighted how bad their teamwork was, but that's a separate issue.

Bottom line: Supergirl is steady, but other Arrowverse shows are down in ratings, Legends 20%, Flash 21%, & Arrow 31%.

Which about coincides with my enjoyment levels for those shows. (Except for Legends which I gave up on after last season.) I still enjoy Supergirl, mainly because it's just about the only superhero show on TV that's actually fun.

However, I pledge to watch every episode that has Jesse L. Martin and Victor Garber singing a duet!

Right there with you. It's bits like that that make it hard to give up the whole Arrowverse - they do have moments of sheer brilliance.

My favorite this week was Lena asking Kara "So what's your Kryptonite?" [giglesnort]

Kara has more chemistry with Lena than with any of the male characters.

Well said. Kara's relationships with Kat, Alex and now Lena have always been the show's strongest points. Which y'know, in theory I respect that she's not defined by the men in her life and all that. But in practice means the men in her life are kindof uninteresting by comparison.

Tho I do genuinely enjoy Mon El's "Unfamiliar With Earth Culture - Social Complication, Frequently, Comical" moments.

I agree with everything bigdamhero said in his previous post, with the exception of it being hard to give up on the Arrowverse. I gave up last season and never looked back (same with Flash). I found it quite easy to do, actually.

Re: "So what's your Kryptonite?" - Why would Lena expect Kara to know that Kryptonite is a source of weakness for anything/anyone? I guess we're basically being told that its effect on Superman is such common knowledge on this version of Earth that it has entered into the popular vernacular there.

Why would Lena expect Kara to know that Kryptonite is a source of weakness for anything/anyone? I guess we're basically being told that its effect on Superman is such common knowledge on this version of Earth that it has entered into the popular vernacular there.

Yeah, that was kinda the point. (And I thought that had already been established, but I can't be sure.) The line followed Lena referring to her ex-boyfriend as "He's my Kryptonite."  (And to clarify, Lena was talking to Kara, not to Supergirl.) A tad self-referential, but I got a laugh out of it. Another nice example of the show leveraging the fact that Superman has been active for years, and therefore a lot of the "lore" is already common knowledge, thus freeing them from the need to over-explain things that the audience already knows.

I agree with everything bigdamhero said in his previous post, with the exception of it being hard to give up on the Arrowverse. I gave up last season and never looked back (same with Flash). I found it quite easy to do, actually.

Re: "So what's your Kryptonite?" - Why would Lena expect Kara to know that Kryptonite is a source of weakness for anything/anyone? I guess we're basically being told that its effect on Superman is such common knowledge on this version of Earth that it has entered into the popular vernacular there.

If it's anywhere near as common in this universe as it was in Smallville, then yeah, at some point someone would have published the information (even if not Lois or anyone at the Planet).

Kara's relationships with Kat, Alex and now Lena have always been the show's strongest points. Which y'know, in theory I respect that she's not defined by the men in her life and all that. But in practice means the men in her life are kind of uninteresting by comparison.

Tho I do genuinely enjoy Mon El's "Unfamiliar With Earth Culture - Social Complication, Frequently, Comical" moments.

The only male costar I've seen Melissa Benoist really sparkle with on that series is Grant Gustin. But at this point there's far too much built up in the way to ever make them a couple.

I liked this latest episode, Alex, quite a bit. Except for Rhea, or rather, Terri Hatcher and her frightening, right-out-of-Brazil stretchface. Those scenes were only saved by the presence of Lena, who I am liking more and more with every episode.

I'm sorry though, in terms of whose feelings matter more, sister-of-13-years trumps girlfriend-of-13-months. I mean, I agree with Maggie that not all problems can be solved with force, but I don't agree that she should have as much say as Kara, in matters pertaining to Alex, just because she's "the girlfriend".

Did anyone really feel Alex's life was in danger? There's no way they'd kill her off. Yes, it would be shocking if they did, but because I don't see that happening, I don't worry about her being killed any more than I worry about Winn or James being killed.