Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I like in the new 52/rebirth stuff is that more then any other JLer, WW understands Arthur and vice versa. The demands of being not only a hero to humans, but obligated to the protection of another whole race of people, that none of the others really get and even rebel against (the idea of a monarchy mainly).

I'm really curious to see what Diana was up to over the past century. It's clear from the trailers that Themyscira had no contact with the outside world for hundreds if not thousands of years before Steve Trevor brought it crashing in on them. However, BvS showed Diana interacting very comfortably with modern Man's World, so she at least must have continued to engage with it after WW I.

She claimed to have removed herself from the world at large after WWI, and ostensibly only returned to it when she got wind of the photo of her that got loose. How she came to feel so at ease in modern times (for BvS) is probably something we're not meant to think too hard about.

Submariner was cooler, but now he'll seem derivative because Sony can't get its crap together with Fantastic Four.  They suck so bad they have to keep rebooting it instead of telling the story.  How many movies could we have had by now if they hadn't been so incompetent? four, five?  Subby could have been right there.  They could have done the Galactus saga.  Instead we got crappy electric Dr Doom and stupid stories.

Er, wasn't Rise of the Silver Surfer more or less the Galactus saga?

So apparently Aquaman is considered to be a "super Atlantean" because of his royal heritage. He can lift 150 times what a human can. What does that mean? If we say peak human strength is 1000lbs, then Aquaman can lift 150,000lbs or 75 tons. The "average Atlantean" can apparently lift 2 tons, so a super Atlantean being able to lift 75 tons seems reasonable. Pretty strong thereI

I think half a ton is pretty generous for peak human strength unless you're talking about leg presses. I seem to recall weightlifting records running in the neighborhood of 2.5x body weight, so maybe Aquaman can lift 375x his own weight?

She claimed to have removed herself from the world at large after WWI, and ostensibly only returned to it when she got wind of the photo of her that got loose. How she came to feel so at ease in modern times (for BvS) is probably something we're not meant to think too hard about.

Well, I also wonder if they are using the part of her recent story that once she left Themiscyra, she wasn't allowed back. That's why it was a big deal for whoever left. I went under the impression that she removed herself from interfering in the actions/politics of men's world until and hid in plain site somewhere until the pictures started showing up. This would explain her ability to feel comfortable with modern technology. It also gives that "bit" of tragedy that is so prevalent in the DCEU.

As for Aquaman, I am fine with Mamoa playing him. We may be seeing just a grim visage of him, but he has also shown in the past an ability to be fun, not unlike Dwayne Johnson. Course, funny thing is, Mamoa would have made a really good Namor.

Well, the first half of it at any rate. It didn't do well enough at the box office for Fox to greenlight the second half. And thanks to that, we never got to actually see Galactus himself.

Well, it is my belief that the big cloud was merely part of his Elemental Converter, and not Galactus himself. The movie made it somewhat ambiguous, but I suspect the third film would have cleared that up had it been made.

Not sure how Galactus took over the Wonder Woman thread from Aquaman...

To add to "how long has Aquaman been strong", I recall an early '70s JLA, probably in the 110's or 100's, where Aquaman noted that, while he doesn't compare to Superman, a body adapted to the ocean depths is considerably stronger and more durable than a surface dweller.

I think he was pretty tough in his JLA leadership in the mid-'80s. For a brief time, he had a "shades of blue" costume.

Peter David took over in the '90s, when Aquaman got the beard and the harpoon-hand. The orange shirt was replaced in that series as well.

So I think he's been strong and durable for much of his publishing history. Inconsistently portrayed over the decades, no doubt, much like any character with a 75+ year publishing history. But he didn't start out looking like a scrawny sea-elf only to develop a weightlifter's physique in later years, so he's no less consistently portrayed than his Marvel counterpart.

I think half a ton is pretty generous for peak human strength unless you're talking about leg presses. I seem to recall weightlifting records running in the neighborhood of 2.5x body weight, so maybe Aquaman can lift 375x his own weight?

The world record deadlift is 500kg which is just ovet 1100 pounds.