Wonder Woman

Greywind

While we're waiting for the movie, someone posted a complete copy of the 2011 Wonder Woman TV pilot with Adrienne Palicki. The video quality ain't great, and it's missing some vfx (they haven't erased the wires yet, etc), but the entire episode is there if you want to get a sense of what might've been. And it's...yeah, about as awful as reported. About 3/4 Ally McBeal to 1/4 superhero. Which is too bad, because the superhero parts are actually kindof okay. Palicki is as badass as you would expect from Agents of SHIELD, and the fight scenes are certainly on par with anything we've seen from the Arrowverse or any other superhero TV shows I can think of. In other hands, this coulda been brilliant. Or at least decent. Maybe.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was musing about the 2011 pilot after watching it last night. Quality aside, some thoughts on Kelley's take on the character: (spoilerized in case anyone cares, because tags are free)

A superhero pilot that completely leaves out the hero's origin story is a bold choice. I like the idea myself - the pilot was crowded enough as it was, and I can only assume they'd planned to get into that in later episodes. But I wonder if it might've hurt them with critics who were left wondering "Wait, who is she and where'd she come from?"

Along those lines, it was a little weird to hear Themyscira used as Diana's last name rather than the usual Diana of Themyscira. It makes me wonder if they were ditching the Paradise Island backstory altogether? Or if Diana just hadn't yet revealed its existence to the world? Or what?

An interesting choice to give her a Hero ID as Wonder Woman, a Public ID as Diana Themyscira and a Secret ID as Diana Prince. That's...a lot. And it sounds like at least a few critics found the triple-identity over-stuffed and confusing. It's obvious Kelley wanted to explore the Working Woman Trying To Have It All thing, which is fine. But if your HID & PID keep you so busy that all your SID has time to do is go home to talk to your cat, eat ice cream and watch TV, then it kinda begs the question of why bother? It might've been more effective/interesting to start out with just the HID & PID, show how lonely she is and wants to have a private life, and then later have her make up an SID to get a little time to herself. But hey, no one asked me.

OTOH, maybe it was the poor video quality but the first time Palicki walked out in her Diana Prince getup it actually took me a second to recognize her. So points there.

Seems like they ditched - or at least downplayed - the whole Defender Of Women angle in favor of straight-up crime-fighting. Further evidence they were ditching the whole Paradise Island backstory?

Odd that they specifically referred to the "Lasso of Truth," yet she never used it to get the truth out of anyone. I can understand wanting to do away with that power if you think it'll disrupt the story (Mind Control is the ultimate Breaker Of Plots), but then maybe you should y'know, change the name?

I get what they were trying to do with the marketing meeting scene where she complained about the size of the breasts on her action figure. And yeah, fair enough. But complaining about "cashing in on her tits" (or words to that effect) sounded a little odd given the costume she apparently designed for herself...

As an old Wonderfalls fan, it was nice to see Tracie Thoms in something again. IMDB sez she's been working a lot, just apparently not in anything I've seen.

And is it just me, or did Trevor look like he was about 16? IMDB sez the actor was 32, but geez!

• 1 month later...

Ares killing Zeus?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comic book Zeus must be a push over compared to mythic Zeus.

I think it's more a matter of, comic book Ares is a badass compared to mythic Ares.

To be fair, most renditions of comic book Ares grow stronger from war; and WW I was the greatest war the world had yet seen.

To be fair, most renditions of comic book Ares grow stronger from war; and WW I was the greatest war the world had yet seen.

Yeah, if he draws his strength from war, the first half of the 20th Century is definitely going to be close to Peak Ares. Meanwhile if Zeus draws his power from worshipers, he's kindof SOL.

[pedantic sidebar] Actually, despite killing 15 million people, WWI was "only" the 13th deadliest war or atrocity in history.* The Mongol conquests of the 13th Century, for example, killed an estimated 40 million. China's An Lushan Revolt in the 8th century is believed to have killed something like 36 million - a staggering number considering that was roughly one-sixth of the entire world's population at that time! But still, the breadth and scope of WWI were certainly unprecedented.

* Depending on who's making the list and how they're counting, of course. The list I'm referencing is from Matthew White, quoted in Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels Of Our Nature."

[pedantic sidebar] Your casualty statistics are valid; but power from war is not necessarily the same as power from death. As you say, WW I was the waging of war on an unheard-of scale, using the most terrifying weapons invented to date.

I wonder what a god of disease would have gained from the Black Death?