Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally figured out what the new JL trailer reminded me of: the Suicide Squad trailer, overstuffed with too many characters, still gloomydark, lots of explosions, but now with jokes. So that doesn't exactly bode well.

I actually have some small hope they might do okay with Aquaman, just because Geoff Johns' run on Aquaman was one of the few bright spots of the New 52 reboot. Johns gets what makes Aquaman a badass.

Aquaman has been pretty great in the past, its just internet-cool to make fun of him like its internet-cool to pretend you're scared of clowns.

It was his portrayal in the old Superfriends cartoon that made him the butt of jokes. His portrayal in other media has been much better. Maybe after Momoa increasing the badass quotient, he will finally escape the spectre of those dark superfriends days.

As to the trailer, so it looks like we have a group of individual heroes brought together to stop, what, an alien invasion?  Well, if so, at least that's original.

My first thought when I saw the Parademons was the same thing; its going to be tough to distinguish themselves from the Avengers in some ways.  A portal opens and monsters roar out taking over the city?  We're probably going to be "treated" to Cyborg's origin story as well, and Superman's resurrection, plus Darkseid himself will likely show up as opposed to just a cameo at the end.  So there are differences.

Oh, I realize that there are differences.  Mainly I was being a bit snarky.

I like it. You don't compel creatures to fight your battles for you, and probably die, if you have a relationship with them.

Right. Similarly, you don't eat creatures you have a relationship with. As they say in Schlock Mercenary, "Food that can talk is not food." (Seriously, dude lives under the ocean; of course he eats seafood!)

It's sad when the publisher/editor feels the need to directly address idiotic fan arguments within the comic book itself.

Actually the whole issue was like that, bordering on meta-commentary. Aquaman catches a fleeing criminal and people ask why he's there since it's not a "water crime." The cops kvetch about "I can't believe we got upstaged by Aquaman, they'll never let us live this down." Later someone asks him how it feels to be "No one's favorite superhero." A lot of it is clearly meant to address fan expectations, but it also does a great job of setting up Aquaman as someone who genuinely doesn't care about his reputation and just goes on being a hero because he can and it's the right thing to do.

Submariner was cooler, but now he'll seem derivative because Sony can't get its crap together with Fantastic Four.  They suck so bad they have to keep rebooting it instead of telling the story.  How many movies could we have had by now if they hadn't been so incompetent? four, five?  Subby could have been right there.  They could have done the Galactus saga.  Instead we got crappy electric Dr Doom and stupid stories.

Submariner was cooler, but now he'll seem derivative because Sony can't get its crap together with Fantastic Four. They suck so bad they have to keep rebooting it instead of telling the story. How many movies could we have had by now if they hadn't been so incompetent? four, five? Subby could have been right there. They could have done the Galactus saga. Instead we got crappy electric Dr Doom and stupid stories.

Thats FOX with Fantastic Four, not Sony. A Sony lead FF likely would have been much better.

Sony only owns the Spider franchise. FOX has both Xmen and FF. Although I'm not sure that Submariner comes with the FF license the way Silver Surfer did.

The complex case of movie rights for Namor

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2016/07/who-owns-namor-movie-rights.html?m=1

Thanks - I remembered reading that article (or a similar one) awhile back and was about to go a-Googlin.

Especially now that DC/WB has gone with Angry Bad Ass Aquaman, Namor would look even more derivative, so I don't expect we'll be seeing him anytime soon.