Wonder Woman

Greywind

I love how mcguffins in film are always prominently displayed in elaborate rooms built specifically for them. If I had that sword it'd wind up in the closet under a pile of old shoes and magazines.

You don't know the die hard collectors. They got nuts if you even take them out of the seal to play with them, they sure aren't going to leave them in a pile of shoes and magazines.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read DC Rebirth Wonder Woman #14.  Very good.  The Truth story arc has been pretty decent, but the Wonder Woman Year One story arc has been rocking the house. I hope they don't keep this particular version of Diana's coming to the World of Men for a long time before revising her history yet again.

I like role they have given Dr Barbara Minerva, how they have handled Steve and Diana's relationship and the bestowing of the divine gifts on Diana. Mixed feelings about the new Etta Candy though.  She is pretty badass, but nowhere near the ball of awesome that the original was.

10 Ways Etta Candy Was More Badass Than Wonder Woman

Well, I would say that many of those "10 ways" were merely ways Etta Candy was more ridiculous than Wonder Woman, not more badass. And most of the others were ways Etta Candy was more brazen than Diana, which I'm sure seems badass to young girl readers who themselves have neither superpowers nor Diana's body and good looks, but which to my mind just come across as overcompensating for (the lack of) both.

Yes, but you complain while sitting on public beach drinking margaritas because they make you wear pants.  :)

Margaritas make him wear pants?

Just read DC Rebirth Wonder Woman #14.  Very good.  The Truth story arc has been pretty decent, but the Wonder Woman Year One story arc has been rocking the house. I hope they don't keep this particular version of Diana's coming to the World of Men for a long time before revising her history yet again.

I like role they have given Dr Barbara Minerva, how they have handled Steve and Diana's relationship and the bestowing of the divine gifts on Diana. Mixed feelings about the new Etta Candy though.  She is pretty badass, but nowhere near the ball of awesome that the original was.

10 Ways Etta Candy Was More Badass Than Wonder Woman

I'm starting to really admire Dr. Marston.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it's a shame what later writers did to Etta Candy

Well, duh.   Let's just go with 6' tall, huge breasts, unbelievable athleticism, great acting ability.  IT DOESN'T EXIST.  So just go with exotic, athletic good looks with acting ability.

Thank you.  Move along.  :)

Agree to disagree.

Adrienne Palicki

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, if he draws his strength from war, the first half of the 20th Century is definitely going to be close to Peak Ares. Meanwhile if Zeus draws his power from worshipers, he's kindof SOL.

[pedantic sidebar] Actually, despite killing 15 million people, WWI was "only" the 13th deadliest war or atrocity in history.* The Mongol conquests of the 13th Century, for example, killed an estimated 40 million. China's An Lushan Revolt in the 8th century is believed to have killed something like 36 million - a staggering number considering that was roughly one-sixth of the entire world's population at that time! But still, the breadth and scope of WWI were certainly unprecedented.

* Depending on who's making the list and how they're counting, of course. The list I'm referencing is from Matthew White, quoted in Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels Of Our Nature."

I assume it is the same Matthew White who wrote "Atrocitology" ? If so, in that book he rates the Lushan revolt at number 13 with a death toll of 13 million. The First World War comes in at number 11 (tying with the conquest of the Americas) at 15 million.

I assume it is the same Matthew White who wrote "Atrocitology" ? If so, in that book he rates the Lushan revolt at number 13 with a death toll of 13 million. The First World War comes in at number 11 (tying with the conquest of the Americas) at 15 million.

Same guy. I don't have that book, so I'm quoting from a list reproduced in Steven Pinker's Better Angels Of Our Nature. Looks like it's from a 2010 article White wrote. There's also a footnote saying that the death toll from the Lushan Revolt is highly controversial & debated among scholars. [shrug]

Kind of hard to call the conquest of the Americas a single event, seeing as it was over a period of around 400 years.

White specifically includes events that took place over a long period of time, because otherwise some seriously awful shit would get overlooked. He also includes the Mideast & Atlantic slave trades, to which he ascribes 19M and 18M dead respectively. Granted it doesn't make for an easy one-for-one comparison.

I think what makes WWI and WWII so horrific is the death rate. I mean, there were a lot of events in history that racked up the numbers, but did so over relatively long stretches of time. I think the ability of 20th century technology to create corpses by the millions in so short a time is what sent most societies into shock.

And if we're talking about war, then we should probably exclude any lopsided campaigns of genocide in which a professional army simply preyed upon largely defenseless citizens who could never have put up much of a fight. I don't think a god like Ares would have been too impressed/pleased with that; there's no glory in it (and such weak resistance from one side means only half as many casualties as a more balanced conflict would produce).

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody knew of Themyscira before Steve Trevor dropped in, during WW I (between 1914-1918). BVS and all the trailers seem to imply that she wasn't in "man's world" very long before she decided to withdraw back to the island. At the very least she kept a low profile over the intervening century.

I think what makes WWI and WWII so horrific is the death rate. I mean, there were a lot of events in history that racked up the numbers, but did so over relatively long stretches of time. I think the ability of 20th century technology to create corpses by the millions in so short a time is what sent most societies into shock.

The young Western men who fought in the war were referred to as, "the Lost Generation." Not only did so many of them perish, the remainder were traumatized by the unprecedented horrors they experienced. It wasn't just death, it was how it came. Relentless artillery barrages. Bullets and bombs from the sky. Clouds of poison gas. Snipers waiting for your guard to drop. All for a cause few of them even understood. 

Many of them were deeply disillusioned. It's no wonder (sorry) if Diana was as well.

We had a discussion earlier on this thread of how Diana could be such a great fighter without actual experience of warfare. I think this trailer answers that question. She was pushed all her life to become the best fighter that a race of warriors could produce. That training montage looks like her sisters weren't holding back -- several of those attacks could have killed her had they landed.

I hope the movie explains what the Amazons were training her (and themselves as a whole, for that matter) for. Was there some ancient prophecy about the coming of Ares and his intent to lay ruin to the world through war? I mean, it would make sense, but I've not heard any specific explanation for why a society of completely isolated women would train so rigorously for war.

Perhaps it's in case the world of men found them, and tried to oppress them again? Their oppression is the usual comic-book explanation for why the (female) gods set them on an island apart.

Then again, Diana in the trailers keeps saying that, "It is our sacred duty to defend the world." That does sound like she believes the Amazons exist for a purpose, or at least did in the past.