Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I remember my return trip to the West Coast, back in 1995. Stopped at a Tuscon McDonald's. It was 114 that day. I got a soft serve ice cream cone, and was happy that they gave me a huge serving, at least eight inches over the cone. I walked back to my car with it, and it had evaporated down to a two inch nubbins before I finished crossing the parking lot. Not melted. Not a drop of ice cream on my hand. Just . . . gone.

Here's an interesting article on the heat wave and global warming from the only accurate meteorologist we have in my area (WA), Cliff Stamp:

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2023/07/is-global-warming-causing-massive.html

55 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

The fact that he's still able to run for office shows there's something seriously wrong with our system.

He's not a convict yet, he hasn't lost his right to vote or hold office (and that only in some states).  I don't think there is a federal law about felon status barring either.

It doesn't seem that long ago that just the hint of having committed serious crimes would sink the career of any politician. I believe Trumpism has highlighted how much any system of representative government is dependent on some sense of honor and responsibility among the members of both government and the electorate.

Op-ed from conservative (but no fan of Trump) Jonah Goldberg, on Trump's continuing and bizarre hold on the Republican party. Main points: Republicans are in thrall to delusions of persecution from which only Trump can save them; and that for better or worse, democracy is working in that voters persistently ignore supposed kingmakers' attempts to control them.

Jonah Goldberg: Is there any way to shift the bizarre Republican conviction that only Trump will save them? (msn.com)

ADDENDUM: Point of clarification because of bad grammar: Republicans believe only Trump can save them from the persecution. He encourages their delusions.

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak