Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I don't agree with Ms. Hoover.  The standards to get up on the debate stage may be high, but Trump isn't the only one that can meet them.  Ultimately, the more candidates that are on the stage, the more it favors Donald Trump.  Trump has his voters locked in, and it works to his advantage to have a whole bunch of candidates fighting for the rest of the voters.  That leads to a bunch of candidates with really low poll numbers for Trump to tower over.  Ideally, it would be best from the standpoint of defeating Trump, if in the primaries he was running against a single, conservative, charismatic candidate who is not a Trump clone.  Failing that it would be best for only a small group of rival candidates to share the stage, so as to make it relatively easy for one to break free from the pack and establish themselves as the Trump alternative.

What TAKES so freaking long????

Just under 4 years ago, a self-described white nationalist and hatemonger drove 10 hours to open fire at the Wal Mart in El Paso, ultimately killing 23 people.

Today, after only a 3 day trial where he pled guilty to 90 (!) counts including murder and hate crime charges, he was sentenced to 90 consecutive life terms.

He was caught.  He flat out said "I'm the shooter."  But it still took just under 4 years.

He showed little or no remorse.  These were federal charges.  Texas is going to prosecute on state charges...and they will seek the death penalty.  Generally I think that's a bit pointless, myself, but...it's been some time since I've heard of someone who deserves it more, so I'm ok with it.

So, DeSantis is being a bell-end again...

Florida announces restrictions on Vermont licenses

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced the passing of a law that could render driver’s licenses and other forms of identification from several states invalid, including Vermont.

Florida Senate Bill 1718 is considered to be a policy to crack down on illegal immigration, attempting to prevent the use of publicly funded services by those who may not pay taxes.

As of July 1, in addition to Vermont, four other states’ IDs will face extra scrutiny from police, as they may provide forms of identification to applicants who do not give proof of citizenship or legal status:

• Delaware
  • Connecticut
  • Hawaii
  • Rhode Island

The law directs Florida police officers to write a ticket to anyone they pull over who has what is now recognized as an invalid license.

6 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

So, DeSantis is being a bell-end again...

Florida announces restrictions on Vermont licenses

This seems legally problematic from a Article IV, section 1 of the Constitution perspective.

Section 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

So they can do that, but I’m not sure how it will play out (and honestly I’m not certain they’re sure about that either, this feels pretty political rather than a basis for legal proceedings).

I wonder just how much taxpayer money DeSantis has burned, defending challenges to his actions.

Similarly, how much loss of business.  The big, glaring one is the Disney HQ relocation that now isn't happening, but he's antagonizing MANY groups.  The bill also suggests that if you look like you MIGHT be an immigrant?  You're more likely to be hassled by the police.  Granted, this might already exist, but if nothing else, it's reinforcement that Florida is likely to be uncomfortable for many people of color.

I wonder what other Republican politicos think of him...in private.  Cuz he feels like a serious embarrassment...especially if the stunts he's been trying, fall apart.  

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

I wonder just how much taxpayer money DeSantis has burned, defending challenges to his actions.

Similarly, how much loss of business.  The big, glaring one is the Disney HQ relocation that now isn't happening, but he's antagonizing MANY groups.  The bill also suggests that if you look like you MIGHT be an immigrant?  You're more likely to be hassled by the police.  Granted, this might already exist, but if nothing else, it's reinforcement that Florida is likely to be uncomfortable for many people of color.

I wonder what other Republican politicos think of him...in private.  Cuz he feels like a serious embarrassment...especially if the stunts he's been trying, fall apart.  

The last number I saw was about $16.7 million for legal fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/04/ron-desantis-lawsuits-cost-florida-taxpayers#:~:text=As a result of the,%2416.7m%2C have been soaring.

I'm not sure if there's a tally of how much business has been lost, but you've got a canceled $1 Billion project from Disney (and related high-paying jobs not coming to the state) as well as a shortage of workers due to his immigration policies. 

Well, if those lazy poor would just go work 16 hours in the fields after working there other two jobs they have we would not have this problem.  just have them work 32 hours out of every 24 hours and Florida would be good to go.

yes, sarcasm

Edited by Tom Cowan

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Oh, he cares. He cares about exploiting hatred and fear. He thinks that's his path to the White House.

The polls don't reflect that helping him.  He's lagging behind Trump in the doubles, last I bothered to look.  He's being doing the whiney 'The press is against my campaign!' for a bit.  That hasn't been helping, either.

1 hour ago, Lectryk said:

The polls don't reflect that helping him.  He's lagging behind Trump in the doubles, last I bothered to look.  He's being doing the whiney 'The press is against my campaign!' for a bit.  That hasn't been helping, either.

DeSantis is following Trump's examples, including hate mongering and whining. But if he's courting the MAGA base that way, why would they vote for "Trump lite" when the real thing is also campaigning?

Edited by Lord Liaden

30 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

DeSantis is following Trump's examples, including hate mongering and whining. But if he's courting the MAGA base that way, why would they vote for "Trump lite" when the real thing is also campaigning?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-r/2024/national/

And perhaps more significant, DeSantis is losing badly *in Florida*.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4088873-florida-poll-finds-trump-well-ahead-of-desantis-in-state/

Tuberville is turning into one of the bigger embarrassments for the Republicans.  And that's saying something, but his stunt in blocking ALL senior military promotions to try to coerce them to change their abortion policy is wrongheaded and damaging.  I seriously doubt he's got much support in the Senate.

Many of the senior Republican Senators have a long track record of supporting the military;  strong defense has been a cornerstone policy plank for ages.  Tuberville is seriously undermining it by his insistence that his social policy is more important.

I agree that it's a headache for Mitch, but the entire Republican party is flashing intolerant, ungoverning attitudes...my way or the highway.  DeSantis has pulled numerous stunts that are clearly out of line.  Tuberville.  The entire Freedom Caucus.  Heck, the Senate's stunts in denying Obama, then rushing through Barrett.  Texas's attempts to slam its anti-abortion policies to other places.  Moderates...the few there still are...have to look at this and wonder if voting for ANY Republican is simply too dangerous.