Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

'Please take him back,

Make him go.

For we don't want him anymore

I noted Trump's conduct in London, and felt really sorry you all had to deal with that. The man's become the political equivalent of a fart in a space suit -- very unpleasant but impossible to avoid.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:20 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Trump, at Putin’s Side, Questions U.S. Intelligence on 2016 Election

I'm just going to leave this here, because when I consider everything that report describes, I really can't wrap my head around what to say about it.

I actually held out on the idea that maybe Trump wasn't really directly working with Putin.  Since so much of what he's done also benefits our Oil (and apparently Coal?) overlords.  I really did try and hold out that he's just doing this to be a (huge political) asshole.

I'm willing to say a ton of money goes into health care.  Probably because those providers and middle men are making out like literal oil barons.

I'm willing to be flexible on gun shit.  Even if I wonder what the hell happened to the ATF in all of this, and who might have systematically undermined them to help create the crises we are now experiencing...

But suggesting that an antagonistic country being investigated should send their agents to sort this out?

Holy hell is this country sliding down a crapper fast.

edit:  Maybe I exaggerate.  After all, why would I have expected an investigation into a majority president to go anywhere?  ...

The fact that Trump articulated this viewpoint accounts for only half the dismay this generates in me. The other half is because he apparently didn't have the wit to anticipate the condemnation it would provoke.

If there's anything more dangerous than malevolence with power, it's stupidity with power.

Not only was that walkback from his comments lame (he said "would" when he meant to say "wouldn't") :rolleyes: , it was painfully obvious he was reading a script written for him by someone else.

I guess he was chastised enough by all the condemnation to be willing to let his aids put words in his mouth. I expect that to last about a day.

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

Apparently Trump has recanted. He says he misspoke, and he meant to say the opposite of what he did. 

Good to know he's misspeaking and 'meaning the opposite' when face-to-face with tyrants and at summit's with massive implications. :rolleyes:  Lucky for us he's a 'stable genius' and all that..

PS:  Or did he misspeak and mean the opposite when he said that, too.  :)

45 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I can actually believe that they'd do that as a default system "upgrade/remote" access software for maintenance.  Now, does that Remote Access Software have complete access to the system?  Does it log access, allow arbitrary software updates, have default passwords?  ;)  This is a little too common due to very lazy vendors and bad software development... but even without, total control and system overwrites are definitely possible...

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

It's... it's pcAnywhere.  Oh god.

Relevant from 2012:

Symantec Demands Users Stop Using pcAnywhere Immediately Because Its Source Code Was Stolen In 2006

Seriously, you have to assume those machines are so thoroughly compromised that they have to be thrown out.  I'm not kidding.

Wow, that is a good find.  I didn't know that story (about pcAnywhere).

I didn't even read that article (I had no time, at the time...)  ...I guess I called it?  x_x