Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I can maybe see it working in large cities where the intersection of high population density, nightmarish traffic/parking, and lots of disposable cash would ensure high demand. I can't imagine it being viable in small cities like my own or even smaller towns where the population density and barriers to picking food up yourself are lower once the added Covid risk factor is removed.

17 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I can maybe see it working in large cities where the intersection of high population density, nightmarish traffic/parking, and lots of disposable cash would ensure high demand. I can't imagine it being viable in small cities like my own or even smaller towns where the population density and barriers to picking food up yourself are lower once the added Covid risk factor is removed.

My niece and great-niece were working Grubhub several years ago in a community of 65,000, in what I'd consider to be an impoverished area of an impoverished state.

My niece was an engineer and delivered Grubhub on the side in the evenings so that she could pay off and improve her house/property more quickly.

I frankly couldn't believe the Grubhub business model when I heard of it. And was astounded that it could be made to work in that particular area.

There's some old saying about parting fools from their money....

Golden Trump statue at CPAC 2021 was no graven image, according to the artist

“It’s not an idol,” said artist and former youth pastor Tommy Zegan, reported MediaITE. “I know the biblical definition of an idol. This is not an idol. This is a sculpture.”

Another interesting fact from the article: the statue was made in Mexico.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:35 PM, Pariah said:

Golden Trump statue at CPAC 2021 was no graven image, according to the artist

Another interesting fact from the article: the statue was made in Mexico.

Even if we accept the artist's stated intent as genuine, it's irrelevant. The end result is what matters. This is an icon of Donald Trump, many of whose supporters believe him to be a divinely-appointed savior, at an event where he was publicly worshiped.

11 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Speaking of which, it's March 4. Has he been inaugurated yet?

I figure Trump is going to wait until about 4pm then release a picture of himself taking an oath on the Bible just in time for the evening news.

That gives the defenders all day to worry, get ulcers, and generally tire themselves out while it leaves the rioters all of the evening hours to get frisky,

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

What'll he release it on? Parler's defunct, and isn't he banned from all respectable social media platforms?

He has his own semi-official former president website (though he doesn't bill himself as the "former" president) which he can use to communicate to the public.

If he posts up a picture there today which looks like he's taking an oath, the image will be covered on all the major media networks.

So, Trump didn't return to office yesterday, or even declare that he had. March 4 was a big nothingburger.

Or at least that's what the lying lamestream media would have us believe...

I'm actually a little surprised no one seems to have tried the ultimate act of brazen deceit by declaring that Trump did in fact return to the Presidency. The Supreme Court declared him the winner; here's the picture of him taking the oath of office (from 2017). The Supreme Court also declared Nancy Pelosi guilty of treason, and she was shot by firing squad. The Storm is here, with badly photoshopped pictures of prominent Democrat cannibal Satanists being arrested to prove it. Create a whole parallel world in which Trump os still president, he and America are feared and adored by the world, and God HImself showers down blessings on the regime.

I expect such a website could be easily monetized. If any service were willing to host it.

Dean Shomshak

34 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Boo f*****g hoo!

'Not fair!': Man who put feet on Pelosi's desk has outburst at court hearing for Capitol riot

You participated in a riot aimed at overthrowing the government. You're lucky not to be in a suite at the Hotel Guantanamo. 

It wouldn't be unusual for someone who screams at a judge to be found in contempt and be facing problems from that.

IMO, he got off lucky by avoiding that.

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

Boo f*****g hoo!

'Not fair!': Man who put feet on Pelosi's desk has outburst at court hearing for Capitol riot

You participated in a riot aimed at overthrowing the government. You're lucky not to be in a suite at the Hotel Guantanamo. 

Well... From a certain point of view, it could be argued that the riot wasn't a serious attempt to overthrow the government. More of a LARP that got way out of hand. I mean, for all the huffing and puffing beforehand about "war!" and "burning the city to ash!" they didn't bring serious weapons. Where were the AR-15s? Revolutionaries who were really bent on revolution could have shot their way in a lot more quickly, I would think, and perhaps slaughtered numerous members of Congress. I can only be thankful that the organizers and participants were so lost in fantasy that they didn't know how the pros do political violence.

Let us hope that all the judges take it seriously, though, since there's a historical record of half-assed nutbars getting more effective with practice.

Dean Shomshak