Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think Trump is the only one who still considers that a great accomplishment. He might have grasped what it was at the time, but after years of boasting he seems to have convinced himself it was an act of genius.

So what you're saying is, he needs a cognitive test?

Leading LGBTQ group sues Texas attorney general over demands for records

PFLAG, a leading U.S. LGBTQ advocacy group, has sued Texas' Republican attorney general for demanding information about the group's work with families of transgender minors seeking gender-affirming treatments.
. . .
PFLAG is also a plaintiff . . . in lawsuits challenging Texas' ban on gender-affirming care for minors and a rule requiring the state's child protection agency to investigate families seeking such care. . . . investigations of families remain blocked for now.

Paxton's office on Feb. 9 demanded information from PFLAG about its communications concerning families' plans to access gender-affirming care, saying they were part of an investigation into possible violations of the state's consumer protection laws.
. . .
PFLAG said the demands were actually an effort to get around an automatic pause on discovery in the earlier lawsuits.

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

For a while last year it looked like Texas Republicans might actually boot that @#%&! Paxton. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. :(

Yeah but since that one failed, he may be untouchable now.  And I'm with ya.  We shoulda known it wasn't gonna happen.

18 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Remember last year when two black Democrat legislators in Tennessee were expelled by the Republican majority, then won their special elections by a landslide and were reinstated?

Tennessee House advances bill to ban reappointing lawmakers booted for behavior

Yup. Florida maybe crazier, but Tennessee is trying to take the lead in pettiness.

What. The. {BLEEP}?!

GOP bill would require teachers to register as sex offenders if they support trans students

A Missouri Republican has introduced a bill that would make it a felony for teachers to support trans and gender-nonconforming students’ transitioning socially and force those found guilty to register as sex offenders.

First-term state Rep. Jamie Ray Gragg (R) introduced H.B. 2885 this week. The proposed law would make it a Class E felony to “contribute” to the social transition of transgender youth.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

OK, so it's expected to die in committee. Probably just posturing for the base. The description of "contributing to social transition" is also so vague that it's hard to imagine it surviving legal challenge before a non-activist judge. (As we have seen, an activist judge could endorse anything.) I suspect the goal (besides virtue signaling) is to terrorize teachers: You might get in trouble even if you don't ostentatiously oppose a student's social transition... becauswe the next bill might pass.

Totalitarian regimes always try to make everyone an informer. They demand active collaboration, not merely acquiescence.

Dean Shomshak

Regimes built on hatred and fear don't last long-term. Those emotions are too exhausting to sustain. And the leaders always turn on each other eventually. They have to offer the people something else to believe in, and the GOP have nothing else.

23 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Regimes built on hatred and fear don't last long-term. Those emotions are too exhausting to sustain. And the leaders always turn on each other eventually. They have to offer the people something else to believe in, and the GOP have nothing else.

But the damage they do...while gaining power, while in power, and while being ejected from power...is enormous.

And "eventually" is a long ways off.

The Republicans had their shot at power under Trump, and they screwed it up. They've been trying to recapture the momentum ever since, but repeatedly failing to do anything substantial that they promised their base. I believe they've shot their load, and the majority of Americans aren't buying what they're selling any more.

Of course we'll have to wait to November to see if that's borne out.

He’s Deeply Religious and a Democrat. He Might Be the Next Big Thing in Texas Politics.

The representative and aspiring preacher hadn’t planned to deliver a sermon when he went to work at the state capitol that morning.

Sitting in a drab committee room last month, Texas Rep. James Talarico, among the youngest members of the statehouse now at 34, was slowly getting fed up as he sat through a hearing for a bill that would mandate putting the Ten Commandments in every public school classroom in the state. A week prior, he’d sat through a committee hearing on a bill that would allow chaplains to replace guidance counselors. He was already dreading another floor debate scheduled for later in the day for a bill denying gender-affirming health care. So by the time the Ten Commandments came up that morning, Talarico had had it.

He looked squarely at the bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Candy Noble, whom he acknowledged as a fellow “devout Christian,” before letting loose a two-minute and nine-second exchange that would go viral on TikTok and Twitter, racking up more than 1 million views on Twitter alone.

“This bill to me is not only unconstitutional, it’s not only un-American, I think it is also deeply un-Christian,” he told her, as she stood motionless. “And I say that because I believe this bill is idolatrous. I believe it is exclusionary. And I believe that it is arrogant, and those three things, in my reading of the Gospel, are diametrically opposed to the teachings of Jesus.” He cited Matthew 6:5, in which Jesus urges his disciples to not pray publicly like the hypocrites.

Six days later, he went viral again for calling out Texas lawmakers after a mass shooting in Allen, Texas, that left eight dead. “There is something profoundly cynical about asking God to solve a problem that we’re not willing to solve ourselves,” he said on the house floor.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

THIS is what more democrats of Christian Faith need to do. So much BS comes of certain Republican con men in political clothing taking the bible out of context or missing context to misuse the teachings they claim to support.  More democratic politiicans need to call those republicans out on their twisting of gospel. Yes, I get it, the democrats shouldn't have to. The separation of Church and State should at least be a fence if not a wall (For the sake of both sides really imo), but until the lock on the gate between them is tended to, this is the world we live in, and the only way you're going to rob the GOP of their Faux Spiritual Authority is to call them on their betrayal of the very verses they abuse.

Haley needed a primary win to have any credibility as an alternative to Trump, at least if Donnie's many legal threats catch up to him before the election. DC isn't exactly a hotbed of conservatism, but the symbolism of a victory -- especially a really solid victory like this one -- bolsters her chances, and might lead to more support, including donors.

For the moment Haley's greatest value is entertainment, as we watch DJT go absolutely apoplectic over being beaten by a woman of color. :nya:

Edited by Lord Liaden

17 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

SCOTUS just ruled 45 can't be kept off any state ballots. 👎

Of COURSE they did.

I hate this timeline.

EDIT: To be fair, there are legitimate reasons why the Supreme Court might think a precedent of defining sedition on the state level without impeachment by Congress might be a dangerous precedent. The fault is in the legislative branch more so than even the Judicial, but to say I am disappointed but not surprised  by this outcome is putting it mildly.