A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I think I lost my thumb drive. At least, I can't find it now. Not a huge deal, since the things are cheap, but there was a bunch of odd stuff on it that was collected nowhere else. I don't think any of it is too compromising....

At least serial killers accomplish something. They don't just sit around when they're not at work. Some of them hold down a full time job and still find time to kill. Same with working junkies and US Senators. A full work week, but there's still time to go out, find and buy drugs, even engage in loveless, joyless sex with hated strangers.

Where do they find the energy?

I'm in Canada. I arrived in time to be there for dad's dialysis session. Over three and a half hours they drained four liters of fluid out of him. He's incredibly swollen, but he's making real progress. The doctors are confident of a complete recovery. I think he'll be ok in the long run, too, but it's hard to see this once very strong and proud man in invalid status. I practically had to lift him into the house last night. At least the mortal danger is past.

My kids play Nintendogs on their DS's a lot, and end up chattering about dog breeds and so on, and identify the RL dogs they see. My perverse sense of humor leads me to inject things into these exchanges along the lines of:

Son: Hey! A Welsh Corgi!

Me: Mmm! Them's good eatin'!

Son:
:rolleyes:
Daa-aad...

However, my daughter's friend whom we had over on a sleepover last weekend, being unused to this drill, was quite shocked when this happened in her hearing....

"The time has come," The Sea Lion said,

"Of many things to say;

Of footwear, seacraft, envelope gum,

Coleslaw and monarchs today,

The ocean's deep volcanic vents,

and if hogs might fly away."

Lucius Alexander

"The time has come," the palindromedary said, "To get Lucius Alexander away from the keyboard!"

Of course hobbies are bloody silly to people who don't share them; they're hobbies. That's a big part of the point. The "Role playing / weight lifting / reading science fiction / playing computer games is stupid / childish / a sign of being a serial killer" blather is mostly a way of saying "People in my group do not do that" with a large share of dick waving added in.

The best thing about Japan was living someplace where nobody expected me to be part of their tribe.

I spent a few minutes yesterday being verbally abused by an older gentleman who is no longer in total control of his physical being but still sharp mentally. He was not happy that I could not do what he asked and told me so.

It was sobering. I mean he was harmless but the more I think of him the more I see me in another 40 years. Alone and somewhat helpless but struggling for independence and dignity. Great.