A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I got a telemarketer call on Friday. Something about student loan consolidations. I said, "You know I'm on the Do Not Call List, right?"

The telemarketer replied, without missing a beat, "Thank you!" and hung up.

Hopefully that nips that crap in the bud.

With the new quarter comes a new course, and its labs.

The first lab examines measurement errors and randomness. Among the randomness topics is one of the shape of probability distribution functions, something we gamers know as second nature. I have the kids roll 2d6 25 times, and then roll 1d12 (ignoring & re-rolling 1's) 25 times, and have them discuss the differences.

There are a few other exercises as well...

I keep forgetting my work is dog-friendly. Then, every once in a while, I hear a dog barking from the other side of the wall, look up from what I'm doing, then remember.

Or, I'll see one as I'm heading to the water fountain to refill my water bottle. When one is used to working in places that didn't allow pets, it's a wee bit disarming.

"Henry Rollins Live in NYC" on the Independent Film Channel. No music. Just two hours of sometimes-comedic-sometimes-pointless-sometimes-political-always-insightful rantings by one of the most eloquent and intelligent angry bastards we've ever produced. I'm still mulling...

Well, crap. For the first time ever, a medication actually seems to work for controlling my cholesterol. But my blood pressure has gone through the roof (and no, that's not a recognized side effect). I'm stressing over something.

"Trigger Happy"

5 Student of the Dragon

2 Hacker

5 Ex-Commando

1 Johnny Tso

1 Dr. Amanda Snow

4 Both Guns Blazing

4 Pump Action Shotgun

3 Dirk Wisely's Gambit

2 Bandit Hideout

1 Got My Mojo Working

1 Slo Mo Vengeance

5 Eagle Mountain

1 Cataract Gorge

1 Ring of Gates

1 Four Sorrows Island

http://www.boortz.com:

HERE COMES THE AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION AGAIN

You heard of them, haven't you? It's Donald Wildmon's crowd. Damn, these people are tiring.

Well ... here's the latest. Fox TV was airing the Food City 500 this past weekend. If you've watched these NASCAR telecasts you will know that sometimes they tap into the radio conversations between the drivers, their spotters and their pit crews. Fox did just that with driver Martin Truex and his crew chief Kevin Manion. During that conversation Truex said that his car was driving like "a piece of s_ _ _ ." The AFA says that "millions of viewers, including children, were offended by the crude profanity." Horse squeeze. These people were watching a freaking NASCAR race, not Barney and Friends. Any adult that was offended by Truex's rather explicit description as to how his car was handling should just crawl under a bed somewhere and hide until judgment day. As for whatever children may have been watching, you can bet that this is a word they've heard hundreds of times before, probably from their own parents; probably in the context of "you'd better clean this s_ _ _ out of your room today if you want to step a foot outdoors this weekend," or "don't give me any more of your c_ _ _ you little b _ _ _ _ _ _ or I'll kick your little a_ _ so hard you'll have to unbutton your shirt to take a s_ _ _ ."

So ... Donald Wildmon is urging his myrmidons to write letters to the FCC complaining about Fox TV for allowing the "s" word to be broadcast. He wants the FCC to fine Fox for this hideous infraction of the laws of common decency. What bulls_ _ _.