A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Moving this weekend (Friday & Saturday). However, there is a nice chance of rain. Should be...interesting to move then. But, we do have a garage that we can back the truck up to and unload through there, rather than track mud and stuff on the carpet.

I am getting so excited. Especially now that I talked to DocO about making the loft the computer room, and the study the nursery. :D

On a semi-related note, we're 90% sure we've decided on a boys name and a girls name (I say 90% sure because my boss told me we'd change our minds a million times before the baby comes, so we'll see). :D

My TV alarm turned on and woke me up at 6.30am. As I staggered around my room (I'm in a construction camp in Kazakhstan remember) a sound dully penetrated into my befogged brain. The MNet movie channel was running 'Dukes of Hazzard'. As I stumped into the shower I heard the approximate line "... Yeah, remember last year you told us about how the CIA were trying to brainwash our cows?". So I stepped into the shower to wash the fog away and thought to myself, "Isn't it strange how often the CIA lets thier secret plans be leaked in moves and TV shows?"

Another case of art imitating life I suppose.

It has been amusing in the last week watching the cats discover that ice cream is good and licking out ice cream bowls has become an opportunity not to be missed. Last time I had a cat who had that habit, we eventually managed to train him to sit still while we sprayed whipped cream directly on his nose. He'd flinch, but he'd make sure he got the whipped cream.

The Chicago Bulls are cursed. They sold their collective souls for Michael Jordon.

I'm just thinking about this as Elton Brand lead the clippers over the Bulls easily tonight. Despite an uncharacteristic offensive outburst by Ben Wallace.

in 2001 the Bulls shipped Brand to the Clippers after he only delivered two 20pt 10rebound seasons. They picked up two highschool kids with their draft picks and now, not one of those guys are playing for them. Brand's averaged 20/10 for his career, Eddy Curry is finally rebounding somewhat in New York and Tyson Chandler is beginning to score in Charlotte. What did Chicago get out of this? From the looks of it, Michael Sweetney and Pj Brown.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I love sports.

1 day and 6 hours left for the work week.

Bought our washer and dryer last night. They will be delivered and set up sometime tomorrow (we're supposed to get a call tonight letting us know what time tomorrow). Also bought a vacuum cleaner, broom/dustpan, mop/bucket, and shower curtains. Picking up a few groceries tonight, as well as some cleaning and laundry supplies.

I'm getting so excited to be moved in already. I can hardly sit still. ^_^

Just a note...beginning probably tonight or tomorrow, Ken's net time will be nill, and mine will be limited to work only as we continue the moving process and get our house together.

My guess would be, we're hoping to be back up and running by mid-next week. It'll just depend on when I allow Ken to get to work on the wireless home network and DSL connection and get away from the unpacking of kitchen and other household items. :D

:P

Took a huge car-load of stuff to the new place last night. Put up both shower curtains and went to dinner. Spent more money at Target picking up some groceries (mainly sandwhich fixin's for Saturday's lunch). Didn't get into bed till 9. Tonight is a laid back night. Kind of. I have a few things I've got to do, few things I still have to get packed into a box...but no major moving tonight. Veggitating tonight. :D

Also, my washer and dryer are being delivered today. :D I can't wait to do laundry in my new washer and dryer. :D

My Surreal Job, Continued

My Sometimes Surreal Job, Continued.

Overheard at the Bean Center Bureaucracy

Contractor 1

In the whole time I've worked here, I think this is the first time I've seen a voucher packet that included photographic as well as documentary evidence of claim.

Contractor 2

So what was it??

Contractor 1

PCS1 move, photos of his vehicles.

Contractor 2

Ah, photos of his autos for approval of his removal.

Contractor 1

It's a whale of a tale. His expenses look horrendous.

Contractor 2

An appended defense of his expense.

Contractor 1

He claims big bucks. He used two trucks.

Bystanding Bureaucrat

A great series of poetic injustice.

Contractor 1 (to Bystander)

You have no doubt that he'll lose out?

Contractor 2

He just wants us to compute the loot he will be relieved to recieve, the money he will see for his POV2.

Contractor 1

His car lost its top

Near the first stop

He paused to reload

At least once on the road.

Contractor 2

To blow your top

In your new Hummer

On a rainy drive

Is quite a bummer

"Burma Shave" (not)

Contractor 1

He wants us to see his POV2

So that we’ll see his POV3

Now all we need is Gilbert and Sullivan to provide the music....

Lucius Alexander

The Palindromedary has four feet, but only three feetnote. er, footnotes.

1 Permanent Change of Station. (No, that's not losing the remote control!)

2 Privately Owned Vehicle

3 Point of View

I really f'n hate Qwest.

3 weeks ago, I call to get phone and DSL service set up for our new house. Phone service, no problem. DSL?

So we hook up our modem, and it doesn't work. Call technical support. They run us through 3 basic tests (all of which we'd already tried), then say to call customer service (which is only open 9-5 M-F).

I call customer service and explain the problem. No problem they say, let me connect you with technical support. Technical support guy says, "OK, turn on your modem..." "I can't," I say. "I'm calling you from work. I work from 9-5. I can only call customer service during the day, when I'm working."

"Well, we can't help you," the technical support guy says. "You have to be in front of your computer. Call us back tonight when you're home."

So I do. The same exact f'n thing happens. "Can't help you. Call customer service tomorrow." I do so, they connect me with technical support, who can't help me because I'm not in front of my f'n computer.

So after 2 weeks of going around and around in circles with these pinheads, one of them finally says, "Well, it looks like there's a problem with your phone line. We can send out a technician, but it'll cost you $85."

"Eighty-five f'n dollars?" I scream. "The problem is on YOUR end, you pinhead. You can't charge me for your f'n mistake!"

"Well, we'll send out a technician to look at the wires going into your house. We'll do that for free. But if he has to come inside, we'll charge you. Oh, and you have to be at home when he comes over. If you've got a problem with that, call customer service, tomorrow morning."

Now I have to take the f'n afternoon off (using up my valuable vacation time) to wait for the technician to look at my wires outside.

So I call up customer service this morning and give them an earful. "OK, fine," they finally tell me. "We'll send a technician over to look at the inside of your house, too. But he can't come until Friday."

WTF? He's coming today – he can't do both f'n jobs at the same f'n time? "No," they say. "They'll be on two separate work-orders."

So now I have to take another afternoon off work to wait for the same f'n technician to do the same f'n job – except inside the house instead of outside.

I f'n hate Qwest. If there were another provider in my area, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. This is why monopolies are inherently a bad idea – competition is good, if only to keep these bastards honest.