A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

A girl I know in her 20's was listening to AC/DC's Dirty Deeds. Either she thought they were from Scotland, that Mightbec was a member of the band, or this was simply the first time she'd really paid attention to the words...

"I always thought the words were: 'Dirty deeds, done to sheep'!"

Okay. Cartoon Network is just now starting something called 'Mosiac' by Stan Lee. And I find myself going "Why didn't I hear of this before? Especially on THIS board?" I'm very disapointed in all of us ;)

Of course, if it sucks, someone else is to blame for my wasted time

How the BLANK did Stripes get on top of the cabinets over the counter ????

The only thing I can think is she jumped across the room from either the fridge top or the cabinets over the fridge. But there is one foot or less between these cabinet tops and the ceiling. How did she do it and not miss ? Or whack her head ????? I got the stepladder and got her down. And she resisted. Now that they are one year old, there is no shelf or height they cannot reach.

Good thing these cats never go outdoors. We'd run the Local Fire Department ragged getting them down from trees. :ugly:

From my morning email:

Yesterday as I was leaving the library here at ECU, I overheard two undergraduates. One young lady asked the other what she was doing, and she replied that she was getting ready to go on Spring Break and had come to the library to get some "books on paper" to take with her.

BOOKS ON PAPER! Now, that is a new phrase for me…

Response:

That is a new (and unfortunate) retronym. In case you are not familiar with the concept, a retronym is a neologism required by the advancement of technology. It typically takes the form of a new modifier in front of an old and well-recognized word.

The classic example is “acoustic guitar.” Until electric guitars were invented, a guitar was a guitar. But with electrics, you needed to distinguish between them. Other examples are “manual typewriter” and “rotary telephone.” And of course there are now “analog” and “digital” devices of all sorts. “Bricks and Mortar” is another retronym. You can sort of chart technological progress (or the decline of western civilization depending on how you look at it) by tracking retronyms.

I contend that a new retronym is desktop computer (to distinguish them from ubiquitous laptops) and the latest is “wired computer” as distinguished from wireless.

I just thought this was interesting. I never heard the term retronym before, though I'm familiar with the concept. And is anyone actually using the term wired computer? I haven't heard that one yet.

I just thought this was interesting. I never heard the term retronym before' date=' though I'm familiar with the concept. And is anyone actually using the term [i']wired computer[/i]? I haven't heard that one yet.

In our office, unless the word "wireless" is used, it is assumed the computer and/or set-up is wired. Still, the way things are going, 5 years from now, wireless will likely be the norm, and "wired computer" will be a true retronym.

Mrs. Mentor is fostering kittens for the Animal Rescue League again. Invariably, the fatality rate for these too young or too sick kittens is around 50%. I hate having to deal with the emotional ups and downs of getting attatched and losing them.

Our new burrow

We're finally all moved in!

Well, there are still boxes to unpack.

And furniture to move around to its proper position.

And we need to find places to put things.

And we still need curtains/blinds on the windows.

And about a million other things.

But we're all moved in now! :cheers:

Bill.

(Party at the bunny's place! ...but you all have to help us unpack). ;)

The resident teenager is downstairs on a conference call on her cell phone. I know this, because she and all of her friends are talking so loudly, I can hear them -all of them- from my room. Upstairs. With the door closed. And a fan blowing for white noise.

Dear Reed,

My calculations indicate that the only way to save the human race is for Namor and I to have a hot threesome with Sue. She told us that you of all people would understand. She'll be back in a few days.

Your friend,

- Victor

Re: Our new burrow

Pregnancy is great. No morning/afternoon/night sickness. Weight-loss rather than gain (something about that though, doesn't seem quite right). Eating smaller amounts more often. And shopping for baby stuff. However, I could do without the vivid, bizarre dreams.