Load up the Winnebago

Drive it in the lake

It's the white man's burden

And it weighs a ton

I'm a family man

Model citizen

-Warren Zevon

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Once, when I was but a young buck and working in a big-box retail store, one of my co-workers came over to me and said, "Bill, I accidentally locked my keys in my locker and now I can't get them out. Can you get them for me?"

"OK," sez I, and proceeded up the stairs to the break room, where I picked the lock on her locker and got her keys for her.

It never occurred to me to wonder why she asked me to do that, nor how she knew I could pick locks. I'm guessing everyone either (a) assumed I was a thug, or (B) figured that I was good at mechanical-type things. :think:

Bill.

(Or © She wanted me to call a locksmith for her). :lol:

Babies are sooooooooo amazing. Went last night to see my friends newborn. Baby is beautiful and precious. Mommy and daddy were doing well, though still a bit tired. And mommy was just over the moon talking about her daughter.

Makes me uber anxious now for the Doc and I to find out what we're having and then for the baby to actually be born.

I watched Pitch Black last night again. Man, I had forgotten how tight that movie is! Very suspenseful, full of surprises and turnarounds, with good characters, good dialog, and a good script. And Vin Diesel is at his best. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. If you have seen it, watch it again! :thumbup:

This morning there was an article in the local paper about how a competitor, well-known for an excellent selection and who consistently ranks first in customer service surveys, is moving to the area. They spent eight minutes of the morning meeting talking about it, then wrapped up with, "But we shouldn't be worried."

Uh-huh.

"Dad?"

"Yeah, buddy?"

"I like playing WoW."

"Coolness, how come?"

"Because when I get to 40, I can ride around on a dinosaur!"

"Yup."

"And when I get so-high-you-can't-even-tell, I get to ride a yak!"

"?"

Boss called me today. Starting Friday he wants me to work straight days for 2 weeks.

So instead of a 12 hour swing shift, I'm going to be working 12hr days, every day, for 2 weeks.

The in-season Scrubs tonight had a funny bit of RPG references, via the janitor who turns out to be a roleplayer.

It really struck me when Ted, following the janitor's RPing lead, refers to himself as a "follower."

A comment by csyphrett regarding a Hellboy he'd just read with ecoterrorists reminds me of Chadwick's Concrete ecoterrroist thing, where Concrete decides to help the ecoterrorists (in this case they are property damage type terrorists). Even though I vehemently disagree with Concrete's stance in it, I liked the comic book. While Chadwick was getting preachy, he couched it in such individual, personal terms via Concrete, and avoided really attacking opposing views, I could deal with that.

As an aside, it's interesting that business has managed to tag property damage against perceived enviro threats as ecoterrorism. It's more dramatic than warranted in its tone in some (but not all) cases, yet it has become a pretty accepted term even in the more liberal-leaning media. I think it's applied with far too broad a brush though; I think disabling the machines that do things so that they simply can't work is more of a direct attack and it's "terror" inducing, while other tactics that either deliberately hit collateral targets just to create generalized fear or creating fear of injury for employees of course qualifies.

Speaking of the more liberal-leaning media, I saw part of the documentary that reporter-Pelosi did on covering the Bush campaign. It was interesting how incredibly slanted she and certain others were but seemed oblivious to their slant, as well as how incredibly confrontational both the media and Bush staff were to each other. It really did nothing more than make her look pretty much as vile as Karl Rove (even if of course possessing so much less power than him that she's not as big an influencer). (PS - though she is more personable in presentation)

Haven't done the wireless in a coffee shop in a while.

Open Mic tonight.

There's a song about a female serial killer being done.

That and I'm reading people's descriptions of how they thought my child hood must of been. I wish it had been that way.