A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I think I've discovered the negative to downloaded music.

I bought an album from iTunes, the track titles were all wrong.

I bought an album from Amazon.com one of the tracks was "cut" wrong. Ending in the middle of the song, the next song starts with the remnants of the prior song. Which is fine unless you shuffle it..

Gah, and I reported both instances to the sellers and they acted like I was the problem.

*sigh*

out of curiosity, can anyone suggest how I would repair the two tracks that were intertwined?

Oh man.

We have an ultra cute page here that I've been mildly crushing on for months. Yesterday she wore one of the jawdroppingly sexiest outfits I've ever seen. Wow.

Today she came right up to the desk and asked for help on something. She's trying to buy a fashion that she saw in FHM magazine.

She knows the designer so I search for him, Huit, to see if he has a direct purchase site or anything. General search pulls up "lingerie by Huit" and "swimsuits by Huit" and "bras and panties by Huit..." I don't think I broke out in a sweat. Not obviously anyway. Oh man.

Oh man.

. . . My army stormed the Gates of Hell, slaughtered their way through the wraiths and the demons, charged the Iron Throne -- and blew it all by killing Satan with the wrong weapon. My men torn asunder around me, the last thing I remember is hurling myself into the fiery Abyss, falling forever . . .

When I dream, I dream epic.

Today feels like Friday.

Therefore, as King of the World and All Within It, I am declaring tomorrow to be Saturday.

The regular Saturday will remain Saturday of course, and Sunday will remain Sunday.

So it's a three day weekend! Woo! :celebrate

For those of you who have to work on Saturday: Sucks to be you. :sad:

This morning, as I drifted between sleep and waking, I heard a male voice in my head. He declared, perkily, the way radio DJs will speak as if there's a bubble in their throats: "Coming up, Alice gets a zombie dream! Will she triumph, or will her brain be eaten?"

:nonp:

There is no level of "WTF?" to cover that.

Chad's Wednesday-Thursday List:

• So last night I hooked up my shiny new computer. Yay!
  • but forgot to save my itunes library and lost all my ratings and playlists Boo!
  • But it does wonders for City of Heroes, yay!
  • But I stayed up too late playing around with it. Boo!
  • But I found $5 on the ground. Yay!
  • ANd had a nice dinner with co-workers. YAY!
  • And this morning, on my way to work, I found a shiny dime! Yay!
  • And the person who was supposed to open with me never showed up. Boo.
  • I had to call my boss in, she's not happy. Boo.
  • And we're getting our audit today. Boo.
  • And my boss and our resident princess got into a row because princess made an error on something we screwed up last audit. Boo.
  • I'm concerned for the first time in four years as Ops Sup I will not pass. Boo.
  • My new belt is a bit snug. Boo.
  • That's because I dropped a belt size. Yay!
  • But It's making me have to go more...Boo.

How's your day?

So, re-watched New Frontier, this time with commentary.

Still loved it.

On the other hand, I'm fed up with the crappy treatment Superman receives from DCs writers. Want to show how impressive a character is? Make them taller and more impressive than Superman. Want to show how gutsy a character is? Have them order around Superman. Want to show how tough a character is? Have them casually smack around Superman.

When Superman is constantly less impressive than those around him, talked down to, and beaten unconscious, you're not demonstrating anything special by having your Mary Sue of the moment do it yet again.

It's bad fanfic posing as comic book writing.

Really annoying to see an otherwise excellent film following the Super-Worf tradition.

If you're constantly looking for ways to gimp one character to let the rest of the cast shine, maybe you should consider not including that character in the first place.

This is one of those terrible days when I've been scheduled on the ref desk for 6 of eight hours. I can't get any real work done. I'm away from my desk and being interrupted every 6 minutes for a pencil or some other meaningless crap. That meeting on Monday, which I'm leading, is going to be very rough, unless I do some work over the weekend. That'll be a hoot.

Had to go by the Police Station today to get a copy of the police report from when someone hit my dad's parked car. They couldn't find it while I was there. So took my number and said they'd call me. I said they'd probably find it right after I left.

Sure enough, I'm just starting my car and they call me, saying they found it. :lol:

Wall Street Journal did an article on the Finnish education system.

No discussion of differences in pedagogy. No discussion of differences in curriculum. Minimal discussion of the difference made by better qualified teachers and more dedicated students.

A mention of teacher's salaries and spending per student that was totally crap reporting.

Yes, teachers in Finland aren't much better paid, in terms of salary, than American teachers. On the other hand, their college educations and graduate school were publicly funded, they have national health insurance, and they can rely on all the other social services Finland provides for its citizens. Even the additional professional training they'll need throughout their careers is publicly funded. In real terms, teachers are starting their professions with zero debt, their expenses are lower, and they can look forward to a more comfortable retirement than their American colleagues. With those incentives, no wonder Finnish schools can pick and choose the best teachers (40 applicants for every opening according to the Journal article).

Talk about an apples and oranges comparison. I expect that some WSJ editor honestly believed that Finns were doing more with less and therefore didn't bother asking the reporter to look at the broader context; the alternative is to believe that the WSJ intentionally posted a misleading story.

I bought Josh's birthday presents today.

I am seriously contemplating testing his resolve by posting what I got him under a spoiler.

Hmmm . . .

Bad Josh! :nya:

In going to get it, though, I learned something interesting. I can't share yet, though, lest he figure it out.