A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Obsolete Skills: Journalism

Field Writing

Went Obsolete Early 90s to current time

Made Obsolete By Nancy Grace, Bill O'Reilly; general absence of journalistic integrity

Knowledge Assumed Extensive writing skills, mostly based on extremely formulaic writing. Also, a conscience.

Journalism was at its high point in the 70s with Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein (not, as is a common misconception, Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford) investigating corruption in the Nixon administration. Unfortunately for the field of journalism, news organizations have decided that what's important to the people is to be entertained, not informed. As a result, we have 12-hour continuous coverage of Paris Hilton walking out of jail and into her car, and several analysts coming in live via satellite explaining various intricacies of said walking out of jail, including a body language expert to show "what Paris was really thinking about". Meanwhile, half a dozen American 20-somethings are killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

So we are not accused of bias here, please also see Jayson Blair, Duke University rape case, January 13 New York Times "Deadly Echoes" story, and Scott Thomas Beauchamp.

Bye-bye Journalism, nice knowing you.

I think that has hit the nail on the head -- being informed has been sideswiped by being entertained. What it is highbrow culture (art) versus lowbrow culture (not art), and celebrity culture is winning. Being entertained has its place, as does 'pure entertainment' but to me the majority of entertainment should not be 'pure' entertainment.

The style I would prefer is that of Shakespere's plays, the plays (and maybe myths) of Ancient Greece and the stories of the Illiad and Odyssey. The later two being entertaining adventure stories, whilst preserving the national cultural conscious; providing good role models (true proper honourable heroes); and providing a moral guideline for adolescent youth to imitate.

A Question for Cancer.

How accurately can we measure the Earth's rotation and position?

The reason I ask, I have an idea for a super campaign origin. To everyone on Earth, the feel a "skip" and while everyone is still in the same spot (including moving planes, car, etc.) the Earth has moved forward in its rotation/time. Superpowers start showing up after this.

So what is the smallest time span science can determine if they have to use nuclear physics and astronomy to determine the length of missing time?

I have $1' date='100 in unpaid invoices, and another $1000 or so to turn in this week to the same client. This is making me very nervous, and angry. If it turns into a lawyers thing, it could cost more to claim my money than I'm owed.[/quote']

For a small percentage who could hire 2 guys in nice suits named Tony to pay him a visit :eg:

"Wise," huh? I don't see that.

I'm not fit.

Got a haircut today. At least a decimater of hair fell for the scissors. I can feel the breeze.

It's fun to train the noobs, but it's been a while since I did the basic stuff myself. It's a bit . . . Awkward to teach a technique you've forgotten the name of.

. . .

That's it -- all mused out.

We seem to be going through the strongest La Niña episode since the 1970s; the informational "meat" about the current state is toward the bottom of the linked page. It'll probably last at least through May.

La Niña conditions seem to be associated with greater hurricane losses in the US than El Niño conditions.

Once more into the fog, how dreary! While I pondered weak and weary. Would you could you with a broom, would you could you in a room? In the room women come and go talking of Michelangelo. The Lady or the tiger? Tiger, Tiger burning bright, in the forest of the night, which she walks in beauty like.

Nevermore.

Drove up to Draper today to bring some dogs to an adoption event that is doing very well.

Visited the Ikea, got a desk and drove back. 11 hours on the road.

It was good not to be in the office today. I didn't want to be around people.