A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Teller, from the souvenir program of the Penn & Teller stage show in Las Vegas:

Last night, after my solitary practice session, as I was about to take the David P. Abbott Ball to the Magic Room, I looked around at the dark, beautiful, empty stage and was hit by a thought:

There will be a last time that I do this. A last time that I see the things I love backstage. A night I will leave the theater and never return.

I felt the bottom drop out of my stomach.

Then I quickly said aloud, "But not yet. Not yet."

And I felt a warm rush of joy.

Try that yourself sometime:

Take something (or someone) you love, and- in your imagination- say goodbye forever right now. Grieve for a moment.

Then feel the explosion of happiness that comes when you remind yourself that you don't have to say goodbye.

At least, not yet.

---

If Anderson Cooper IS gay, I don't see what he has to hide.

I mean, he does New Year's Eve specials on CNN with Kathy Griffin.

So obviously, he's not afraid of being associated with gay men, and even more obviously, he's not afraid of public embarrassment.

JG

I was reading a (US) military protocol guide (don't ask me why) and I noted it said civilians may shorten a warrant officer's rank and call them Mr. or Ms. and an officers rank and call them Sir or Ma'am. May? Indeed. Has the military forgotten not everyone is in it? A civilian doesn't even have to call the President of the United States "Mr." or "Sir" if they don't want to. A good old, I refuse the right to serve anyone and that includes you "W"/"Big O" is your God given right. Its polite, and apropos for many situations to use formal address, and I'd generally do it on custom in America, but really, the civilian population is under no specific obligation to observe military formalities. If an military officer were to make an issue of being called "sir" or "general" or whatever I'd remind them I wasn't under military discipline and punctuate it with their personal name ("That's the fact, Jack"). Its good to be polite, but may? Somebody forgot themselves and overstepped when they wrote that one.

Excerpt from an item sent out on an astronomy education mailing list about student responses to a class. There were three questions asked of the students: what the most interesting thing in the class was, what the most confusing thin in the class was, and what single piece of advice they would offer to students taking this class in the future.

And there seems to always be at least one gamer-related comment every semester:

(Advice)

"upgrade heavy weapons and save often"

Excerpt from an item sent out on an astronomy education mailing list about student responses to a class. There were three questions asked of the students: what the most interesting thing in the class was' date=' what the most confusing thin in the class was, and what single piece of advice they would offer to students taking this class in the future.[/quote']

Look, light weapons firing fast will get you farther. A continuous stream of DoT means that misses are much less substantial.

In games, anyway. Dodging capabilities are much reduced in real life for most units.

Heh. I was going to post a link to the data on the eclipses of calendar year 2011, but the first one is already over and gone about 7 hours ago. Believe it or not, that one seems to have been the best solar eclipse of this year, too.

OK, I'll link it anyway.

The total lunar eclipse on June 15 is a very deep one, but invisible from North America.

What the heck kind of name is "Assange" and how do you pronounce it anyway?

Reminds me of an observation a friend of mine once made...

"I know it's named for the guy who 'discovered' it, but really, it's really hard to take seriously something that sounds like 'Ass-burgers Syndrome'. That ain't a medical condition: that's when you have a fat ass from eating way too many Big Mac's."