A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I have an electric razor' date=' but I hardly use it. There's something about using a brush to lather soap and spread it across my face that I find therapeutic.[/quote']

I have never shaved with a blade. I think I tried it once just to see what it felt like but didn't shave my whole face.

A Stanford University biotechnology researcher has developed a basic game console that nudges paramecia around a microfluidic chamber with chemical gradients and mild electric fields. Descriptions of the whole microarcade including games involving yeast and DNA are being published this month.

Somewhere there's an RPG campaign idea here.

So, I'm sitting there is our big studio with the lights off because it feels like the CinC on a battleship. The only light is from the PC monitor, sound boards, phones, compressors, and other audio do-dads. I'm doing a remote show via tiline with the host in Jerusalem and me in Beit El. And I ask myself: Why?

Why are we doing this?

Not why as in an existential why. Not why as in the mission is hopeless. No, why as in "what are we thinking running our operation from a physical studio worthy of a terrestrial radio station when we are an internet radio station with a live stream, on demand audio, and podcast downloads?"

All of this made sense when Arutz-7 was a pirate radio station broadcasting from a boat in international waters.

That ended with prison terms and an impounded ship, folks.

Half of my hosts send audio via internet. Most of those mix it themselves.

Almost all the rest of them do monologue or PHONE interview shows.

We used to have several call in shows but times have changed.

Only one host ever takes callers anymore. And that's once in a blue moon.

Why am I paying a tech when I can set up each of my hosts to record and mix audio, including phone interviews, from their home computers or a digital recorder?

Its the 21st century for God's sake!

You can record phone interviews with only a smart-phone if you want.

Why are we working from a stationary studio in the remote highlands of Samaria in the wireless, remote access world?

Calling parliamentarian aides to set up interviews is a trial.

Half the time they ask: are you in the building?

Good question!

If I'm supposed to be interviewing knesset members and notables why aren't I in the knesset building?

I can live stream that to the internet with a laptop!

Fantasy: "Israel National Radio Live From the Knesset!"

What is the point of a studio when all I need is an encoding computer, broadcast computer, and a storage editing computer that can be accessed remotely while sitting in a closet?

True, it means the hosts pay for their phone calls, but really, with one exception, the one's who make a lot of calls do their shows as calling cards for their own non-profits.

Why aren't THEY paying?

And, why am I uploading all the podcasts and making the show pages when, with an internet connection and logon, the host can do that, too?

I mean, its the expletive Internet!

What is the point without remote accesss?

If we get the hosts into gear we can cut down our own work significantly.

Then the question will be:

Why aren't we out in the world doing more topical, feature, and expose related audio that supports the news site?

And gets more exposure that way, anyways.

Why?

It is purely a coincidence that at the same time my part of the world was being buried in an ice storm that covered everything in deadly layers of hard slick ice, I was huddled inside reading a novel with the title The Iceboound Land.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary, dubious of coincidence, urges Lucius to find something warmer to read.

I was gonna start a "WoW! There are other countries. And stuff is happening in them (Oregon)" for fun...but I read the local news and beyond sports which wouldn't work so good, and apologies to Cancer for the beating his state's schools took last night in men's basketball, but the actual news only made me depressed...

Homless man robs bank with toy gun sentenced to 3 years in jail

Local born adult actress and her involvement in a Charlie Sheen drug/alcohol binge

State and school budget cuts left and right and a glimmer of hope on the job market...but a faint one at that.

*sigh*

From here, discussing the current state of the El Niño/La Niña oscillation:

"The last time that this index [referring to a particular numerical index assembled from Australian data] showed higher values for the average of any six months was during the same half-year in 1917(!), so any [classification based on that set of weather data] would classify this [La Niña] event as ... the second-strongest event of the last century."

So yeah, the atmosphere/hydrosphere has been at an extreme end of its oscillation the last month or two. It isn't just you.

This is the first and last time I shall ever allow a smoker to stay in my room. Even when I know for a fact they didn't smoke cigarettes in my room, it still smells like they did. How? My guess is the residue from the luggage and clothing.

Sometimes I am baffled by Netflix's recommendations. They recommended Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, a pro intelligent design movie, which is probably the last movie I would want to watch, based on the fact that I said I liked We Were Soldiers, The Rookie and The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. Okay the first is a fight against great odds, the second is a sappy Disney movie and the last is fantasy. So maybe they think I would like a movie about sappy people living in a Disney/Fantasy world fighting against great odds to get anyone to believe their crackpot theory.

So we recently learned that my wife's 17 year old niece has become engaged. Apparently a lot of people are trying to talk her out of it (based on her Facebook posts). Her most recent one was along the lines of, "We're not getting married right away! We'll have been together for almost 6 months by the time of the wedding." And then there was the requisite, "So-and-so got married after only dating for 3 months, and they've been married for 15 years!" :rolleyes:

Now she's asking us if we want to come to the wedding, and my knee-jerk reaction is, "What, so I can have front-row seats to the beginning of the train wreck?"

Gah. It's her life, and it ain't none of my damn beezwax, so I'm not saying a thing. But... man. It's going to be a mess. What the hell is the hurry? If they're really in love, is waiting until she friggin' graduates from high school really such a hardship? It's a damned tragedy waiting to happen, is what it is. I want to be supportive, I really do, but this is just cracked. My wife and I have been putting money away for years to give to her and her siblings when they graduate, to help pay for their continuing education, but if she drops out and gets knocked up by some redneck punk who claims to love her... nope. We'll give the money to some worthy cause. :no: