A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Last week, I read where someone was quoting Mr. Long referencing a "perfect storm of nonsense."

I thought what an apt and colorful phrase that was, without realizing it would also shortly become useful in my own life.

I've also found use for this old haiku from Any Weir:

Experiencing

Technical Difficulties.

Sorry. Please stand by.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary patiently explains: In other words, it may be a while before we can visit regularly again.

Went to see the Real Pirates exhibit at the Denver Museum yesterday. If/when it travels to a city near you, bunneh highly recommends going to see it! It's got treasures from a genuine pirate ship recently excavated from the ocean floor off of the coast of Cape Cod. They've got a number of cannons on display, guns and swords, a lot of personal artifacts, and a huge pile of silver pieces of eight! There's a lot of great info on how pirates really lived, why a person would become a pirate, the authorities' reaction to piracy, and so on. I only wish they'd allowed me to take pictures inside the exhibit.

A little story I heard many, many years ago just came to mind.

Tug McGraw had this thing he called the frozen iceball theory of pitching. “I remind myself that in approximately a billion years,” said Tug, “the sun is going to burn out and the earth will become a frozen iceball hurtling through space. And when that happens, nobody’s going to care what Willie Stargell did with the bases loaded.”

This is a favorite of mine when I get all wrapped up in the outcome of something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.