A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I love "Roseanne Rosannadanna" humor - when I pretend to completely and utterly miss the point of something for the sake of a joke.

Like, oh, the time someone started a thread about "Nationalizing GM" meaning the US Government would take over General Motors, and I posted an angry rant about the government taking over our Game Masters. Anyone who's been around a while can probably name a dozen such examples on my part.

I am not sure if my affinity for that kind of humor has anything to do with the fact that, sometimes, I really DO completely fail to understand something. Sometimes I'm playing dumb, and sometimes, well....I'm not playing.

Sometimes I wonder how well other people can tell the difference.

It's on my mind right now because I've realized that someone else around here seems to "miss the point" even more regularly than I do, and it's usually NOT funny. Oddly, it's someone who's also obviously not stupid nor uneducated - like me. (at least I hope it's obvious I'm not stupid or uneducated.)

It's also possible they're faking it, but not to entertain - not to entertain anyone else, anyway.

While I'm randomly musing, I wonder how often I think I've understood something and never really did.

Lucius Alexander

I don't expect anyone to get the point of the palindromedary, and that's okay

Then there was the time I was mugged by a parrot.

This was about 15 years back. It was wintertime, so I was wearing a heavy jacket. We were in a pet store in a mall in Moscow, Idaho. There was a parrot on a perch on an island in the middle of the store. Smallish parrot, like a lory, not a macaw. The parrot was not real happy to be there. When a person came up to the island, it moved to the far side of the perch, and if you walked around the island, it moved to keep you as far away as possible. I got the impression more of weary annoyance than fear.

I was carrying my son (about 2 at the time) in one arm; in that hand I had an apple, from which I was using my free hand occasionally to bring the apple up to my mouth, so I could bite off pieces and give them to my son, as well as taking my own bites when I felt like it. The boy was content to eat apple and watch the parrot. He wasn't making any moves toward the bird. The boy was happy and quiet, I figured out the bird didn't want anything to do with people, so we didn't chase the parrot around, which meant I could stand still, so it was an uncommon moment of quiet. I relaxed. I looked away for minute, at something across the store.

When I looked back, the parrot was climbing the jacket sleeve of my free arm. My son, of course, was transfixed as the bird was approaching him.

After the initial surprise, I guessed what was going on, and called my wife over. She took a bite out of the apple, waved the bite at the parrot. That, of course, was what the parrot wanted. She lured it back off me and onto its perch, and gave it the piece of apple, which it started eating.

I still wonder if it would have clambered across my shoulder and down my other arm and taken my son's piece of apple if nothing had intervened. If the boy had sat still for it, probably. Not that that was in any way possible, of course.

But yeah, I was mugged by a parrot for a piece of apple.

To the USers here ...

Is there a tool anywhere to figure out what'll happen to your take-home withholding if alter the number of allowances on the Form W-4? Last time I messed with this long ago, the difference that you incurred when changing that number by 1 was much too large, but I want to see what'll happen before the take-home pay takes a hit.

EDIT: Duh, looks like the irs.gov has something like what I want. Duh duh. "This is your brain. This is your brain while you're thinking about Form 1040."

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/02/windows-phone-marketplace-bans-the-gpl-and-the-app-store-should-too.ars

GPL is, simply put, a legal plague. Once it is in place in a piece of software, it must be in place in all derived software. I will not use it and I applaud Microsoft for putting at least one block in its spread.

My source code is my own; I'll make it open or not as I like, not as the GPL foundation demands.

LOL

So you want to be able to take someone else's source code, alter it and then call it proprietary?

No; I'd rather pay or use a truly free library than one which demands I use their license for my product.

Edit: And yes, it wouldn't be entirely my product. That's what's normally called "value-added" and what's normally allowed to be charged for, under *Reasonable* open-source. GPL is not reasonable. It's viral.