A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Towards the end of 1999 it really felt like mankind had won the game.  Dictatorial Communism was failing and the specter of nuclear annihilation had faded to almost nothing.  Wars were infrequent and minor--even the Israelis and Palestinians had cooled it for a few years.  Pollution had been solved, and the real implications of CO2 emissions weren't yet apparent.  Renewable energy was starting to show some real potential.  The world economy was skyrocketing.  The Internet promised a new era of communication unimpeded by borders and censorship.

And then it all went to s__t.

Gott in Himmel!

After many abortive attempts to get my wife to game -- to engage in any hobby that doesn't involve a book, really -- I gave up. And, honestly, with the two years I've had, whose had time? But, over the past year I've watched my family and myself settle back into who we are at heart. With that has come a return to Jewish tradition and practice. It is, no matter who or what we try to be, what and who were are. But, in Seattle, Shabbat can stretch until 10pm at high summer -- and unless you are living in a Jewish community and much socialization, which we won't be for another year or two, what is there to do? Kids get bored. Parents get bored.

We started with Ninja Burger, which is amusing but only goes so far. Then Marvel Legenday. Fun enough. My wife plays and shrugs. But then, I'm at the game-store with the girls, and the young man asks if we want a Magic demo. Now, you have to understand -- I am not a Magic guy. I am not a card game guy. I am not a board game guy. When Magic came out I ignored it. I am an old school pen and paper gamer. I like what I like. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but the only thing I remember about magic coming out was that it became harder to get a good old fashioned RPG together.

But -- after learning a chapter of tanakh with commentaries, a page of talmud with commentaries, and reviewing parts of a hassidic discourse follwoing shabbat lunch -- my brain has Saturday afternoon mush. Something must be done, and the family must be entertained. So, I say yes. Oldest daughter likes it -- and gets a devious and covetous look on her face when she discovers the hierarchy of card rarity. And youngest daughter turns out to be stoked. Me? Its not an RPG, but I enjoyed it enough to do it for a an hour or two on Saturday afternoon.

So, I invest in just enough after the the free gimme packs for demos (the first taste of crack) for us all to sit down and game. Wife sighs, says she'll try it, and half way through the game lights up like a menora that was lit underneath a Christmas tree. I mean, she is hot and bothered about Magic. She sat down after Shabbat and took notes on the rules and her cards. She's spent two days researching Magic and cards and whatnot online. Her birthday is coming up and -- wife who never wants anything -- bounced up and down like a girl saying "please, please can I have Magic cards for my birthday?"

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Magic? After years of "I'd be too embarrassed to do anything so geeky..." Magic?! Really?!

*Sigh*

She openly said "I don't know whether to be grateful to you for introducing me to this, or mortified that I like it." Well, if this is her gateway geek, and she can come to accept that she likes it -- and is a geek -- then maybe hope can spring eternal. Just maybe, one day, she will roll zeh dice....

Baby Bear said, "Someone's been sleeping in my bed, and she's still here!"

Papa Bear took a bite out of Goldilocks. "This girl is too noisy," he said.

Mama Bear took a bite out of Goldilocks. "This girl is too messy," she said.

Baby Bear took a bite out of Goldilocks. "This girl is just right!" he exclaimed, and he ate her all up.

Tonight I just remembered an image that made an impression on me 20 years ago. At that time I was on my way home from work. It was overcast that night. I saw a house in the distance. It was large and looked old. A light came from a single window. The image could be considered a bit dramatic, but nothing earth shaking. But for some reason, it struck me as significant. Why? Maybe I saw it in a movie or a painting. I don't know, but I had the feeling I'd seen it before.

Why did I remember it tonight? I was looking out at my patio, watching the LCD lights changing color. Then I looked up to a neighbor's house. Sure enough, there was a light emanating from a single window. Then deja vu hit me. The image is still poignant, and I still don't know why.

There's no need to dwell on this further. I'm just getting it off my chest.

You know what the problem with politics is these days? We have a solid wing of engaged supporters for a party that doesn't dare call itself by its name!

That's why I bring you --The Bipolar Tweaker Party!

Slogan: Get back at everyone who is holding you back in 2016! (I'll leave the rest of the pitch 'till after you go check to see if someone is trying to steal your car.)

I, uhm, I, I'm sure I had that thing in my bag. That's why I've been standing here rummaging through it all the time you were gone. How long was that again? Wow. Is it 1 already? Wow. Just let me-- it's for allergies.

So. Anyway. OMG. I'vegotthepoliticalpartyOMGnomorepartisanthingbipartisanOMGitsalltheJewstryingtogetustosupportPutinISISIslamicpressurecookerbomb911insideNealBushOMG

Anyway. Breathe. It's gotta be inhere. The thing. My wallet. Oh? You'll pay for my espresso?Awesome.Okayhere'stheelevatorpitchOMG.

Breathe. Are you sure no-one's trying to steal your car? Someone tried to steal my car the other day. Got in somehow, but couldn't start it. I could tell. They rearranged my glove compartment. Now I can't even find it! That's why I wear these tinfoil gloves. So the NSA can't tell what I'm typing.

Sopitch. "Get back at everyone who ever tried to hold you back." Wait? I said that? Sookaythepoint

Breathe. I'll slow down. The longer pitch? The world is a scary place because people are plotting against you. Yes, you. Even members of your family. Do they tell you that you need to cut back, that you've been talking crazy, that it's possible for you to be on time for work and school every day? They're crazy. They're all crazy. That's why they say that you're crazy. They do, you know. Behind your back. Well, vote for the Bipolar Tweaker Party, and you can get back at them. You see on TV theawesomeexplodyjetswooshyArmyNavyAirForceSealTeam6? Awesome. China's gonna get that stuff when we're in charge. So hard so fast rush rush shock and awe like anonymous sex in the washroom at the club. Oh, you bet they are. Them and the North Koreans. That's for stealing our good job that we had back before we had to go on Ritalin for our ADHD and then the doctor said we couldn't be on it any more because of heart murmurs and now we have to score it in the back of the club every Wednesday night and what do you mean we have to be in class on Thursday morning, too?

So the point is, after we 'splode China, we'll 'splode Mr. Areshat principal and that stupid boss and Dad with his, "Oh, I think you've had enough for tonight" crap. And we'll get that ex of ours. We'll get everyone. Then everything will be awesome. Vote Bipolar Tweaker Party 2016! Or whenever you have elections in your country. (Or city. I hear you, Ford Nation!) If the JewsArabsRussiansIlluminatiChinese1%percentersmoochersKoreans let you. Have elections, I mean. If not, there's always pressure cooker bombs.

Gottarun. Very important text message. Meeting a guy in the park. For reasons. Not because he's got oxycontin and I've got these teeth whitening strips I just lifted. Nope. Not because of that.

Well, looks like Iselle, which is an area effect attack, managed to just miss us, although there is still time for the blustery weather to knock over a power line somewhere. I'm kind of wiped--not because of lack of sleep really (though there was some of that) but because I've been preparing for the damn thing for days. Last night I was wishing the thing would just hit already.

Kind of a useful storm in that it forced the team to get its disaster recovery plan together, and forced me to review the infrastructure. Got the UPS set up to text us if the power goes out. Even took advantage of the day off (for the rest of the staff) to do some quick maintenance that required downtime. Still don't know how to turn off a couple of things cleanly (*cough* ancient IBM DS3400s *cough*), but fortunately, they're not that critical.

So I;m getting on my bike at work, ready to ride home, and I joke to myself that I'm getting ready to survive the zombie apocalypse, because, you know, why don't people in zombie apocalypses have bikes, or wear motorcycle leathers for hand-to-hand protection, or have slings so that they can bust zombie skulls with everyday rocks, etc, etc....

When it occurs to me that they do. It's just that zombie apocalypse fiction focusses on the morons who haven't figured this stuff out yet. They make for better stories. They're trying to kill zombie hordes (and each other) with katanas. That's drama. All the sane people over in Bike Town ever do is  plant stuff, harvest stuff, make stuff, build stuff all day every day. Bo-oring.