A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I love estate sales. 

Usually, they're run by a professional company these days and are far too expensive for anything good, but I still enjoy the experience. Oh look, this person collected cats... these people clearly had a lot of grandchildren... they loved Halloween...etc. 

I went to an estate sale today and it was unbelievable. It was the first one I've been to in a long time that wasn't being run by professionals. They didn't sweep or vacuum and it was a mess, borderline hoarder house.

Then we started to dig. This guy was clearly ex-military, a Korea marine we learned, and we started to piece together his life. He had old films and tapes that were vintage and clearly would be worth a lot to the right museum or collector. We found a hidden portrait from a topless bar that used to be in Gainesville with three of the girls posing (topless) and thanking him. That was a find for the son who was running things! I came home and did some digging. The deceased's name was Emory Hoy Gouge (though an inscription we found in the house read Emory Moy Gouce). He was a marine straight out of high school, the Gator Detachment 990. He died at 87 March 2021. I don't know why it took so long to have this sale. 

I told him he needs to get a historian in there ASAP, there's too much to sort through to even know what it's worth. I didn't actually buy anything. It didn't feel right because it didn't fit any of my collections and I don't know enough to contact the right people to make use of it. I hope the right people get their hands on that treasure, though. 

It was an amazing find and I feel like I met this man, which is much more than I can say for any previous estate sales I have been to. 

I am wearing a KN95 mask now for just about all my waking hours, because I have COVID and the other three people in my house don't, and we're trying to keep it that way.  I will say this:

Mask ear straps + earbuds for Zoom + eyeglass earpieces == I have sore ears, right there at the top where they connect to the head and all those pieces of hardware meet also.

In one of my first conversations with my at the time future stepfather-in-law, he asked me what I though about the guy who wanted to get rid of the Moon in order to stabilize Earth's climate (this made the popular press in the early 1990s).  My literal response was, "Yeah, well, where's he going to put the f---ing pieces?"  Laughter followed.

When I am Overlord of the Dimension, the punishment for Designing, Producing, or Selling an Alarm Clock With More Than Two Buttons On The Top will be extinction of one's entire genetic heritage by having molten Alarm Clocks With More Than Two Buttons On The Top poured into the ventral orifice.  In absence of enough Alarm Clocks With More Than Two Buttons On The Top to adequately extirpate a set of familial lines, molten aluminum-26 will do.

You laugh, but about 5:30 this morning I had to deal with an Alarm Clock With More Than Two Buttons On The Top, and ultimately my means of dealing with it was to pull it and its plug out of the wall, walk the length of the house, and abandon it on the front porch.  At that moment I was not up to the task of going past the front porch to the garden shed, getting the 3-pound sledge, and dealing with the Alarm Clock With More Than Two Buttons On The Top in an appropriately permanent manner.  And all this was necessary, because the damned thing has an internal battery power reserve, so pulling it out of the wall is not enough to silence it.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, death tribble said:

There is a video on Youtube saying 'what happens if the Moon crashes into the Earth ?' and the thought went through my head 'No more werewolves.'

No, you have it backwards.  When the moon crashes into the Earth, everyone left BECOME werewolves.   That’s how they survive.     And Warren Zevon will return and be our king.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:28 PM, Pariah said:

We'll, you're not wrong.